Search for content in message boards

Bates of South Carolina

Bates of South Carolina

Janet (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2001 10:01PM GMT
If there anyone out there who is kin to any Bates' in Union (Spartanburg County) South Carolina. If you are, please respond...
Thanks.

Bates in South Carolina

Posted: 23 Feb 2001 8:45AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2001 8:07PM GMT
I had a GGrandfather names Alfred Bates married to Mary Ann Brown. I don't know if there is a connection

SC Bates

Ronald Bean (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2001 4:52AM GMT
Janet,
I am researching Naomi Bates (f. Isaac Bates) who married William Bean and lived in SC. E-mail me and we can compare notes. Thanks
Ron Bean

bates

janet (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2001 8:57PM GMT
Are Issac and Naomi black or white? The Bates' I am looking for are white. Let me know because I had alot of friends in South Carolina who were Bates' but were black.

Thanks,

BATES in SC

Ronald Bean (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2001 9:28AM GMT
Hey Janet,
The Bates that I am researching are white. Any information you could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ron

hi

janet (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 6:12PM GMT
I am from Union South Carolina...my grandfather was Emerson Bates who married Fannie Wix. Their childrens' names are Jack Bates, Tommy Bates and Melvina Bates. Emerson's brothers name was Lee Bates. Hope this helps.

Bates

Bob C. (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2001 8:57AM GMT
I'm a descendant of Elizabeth Bates, b. c. 1750, possibly in PA, daughter of Joseph Bates and probably Anna Smith. The info concerning the name of Elizabeth's mother was handed done in several lines of the family. There is a record of a marriage license in PA for one Joseph Bates and Anna Smith in 1748, which is just the right time period, plus many of the settlers in Union were from PA. The land records for Union also record a grant of land to one Joseph Bates in the 1750s, plus one of Elizabeth's grandsons had the name Joseph Bates Wells. Per information given by one of Elizabeth's great-granddaughters, her father was killed by Indians when she was about 12 years old, and the rest of the family was in captivity for about a year. There's a Web page for Perry Co. IL which has a newspaper article posted that relates this story as the great-granddaughter told it. I don't know what the URL is, but if you do a search on Perry Co., IL, you should be able to find it, or there is probably also a link on the Perry Co. GenWeb page. Elizabeth married Lewis Wells and they settled first in Greenville Co., SC, later in Christian Co., KY, and finally in Perry Co., IL, where they both died in 1846.
Elizabeth Bates Wells and one Humphrey Bates were willed land by one Thomas Layton, who had a grant of land next to Joseph Bates. It seems likely that Humphrey was her brother. He's the only Bates of this family that I know of who left descendants in Union. There was also a Joseph Bates who migrated to Alabama and sold part of the first Joseph Bates's tract in Union in 1799 (while living in Ala). He had a brother named Thomas. The newspaper article referenced above says that there were 5 children in all. It also mentions a baby which supposedly died in captivity. If that child is included in the 5, then it would seem probable that the children in the family were Elizabeth, Joseph, Thomas, Humphrey and the baby.

thanks

Janet (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2001 7:01PM GMT
Thank you so much for your information! I'm going to check into that some more. Are you kin to the Bates' also? Write back if you have anymore information or places where I can find it.
Janet

Re: Bates of South Carolina

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 3:12AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2003 10:30PM GMT
HI,

MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER WAS JULIE BATES. SHE MARRIED JACK RICE.

Re: Bates of South Carolina

Posted: 18 Sep 2001 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jan 2003 10:30PM GMT
MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS JULIE BATES WHO MARRIED JACK RICE. (AFRICAN-AMERICAN)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions