Search for content in message boards

burial permits

burial permits

Posted: 18 Sep 2009 9:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: falk engstrom
where do burial permits come from and who obtains them..and where do they end up...my grandfather was buried some place in queens ny...

Re: burial permits

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 12:17PM GMT
Good question - if you find anything I would appreciate you forwarding me any info. Biggest place in Queens appears to be Calvary - good luck.

For an ancestor I have the date of death, place of burial, location (Calvary), obits, full probate but no death certificate. I have had fruitless searches done at NYC's vital records, NY State's equivalent and still no death certificate. I have even asked Calvary where Burial Release forms are stored (required by law) but they say they don't have these.

I am looking at a 3 day period in 1916 between death (as stated in obits and probate) and burial (I have date, plot, range, etc) in Calvary.

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 2:09PM GMT
Cemeteries have more info then you think. They just don't have burial info like section,lot and grave they also have the full name where the person died along with month day and year and who owns the plot...
Nancy

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 2:17PM GMT
this site will answer alot of your questions abbout burial permits hope it helps
http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/erc-vr-dc-btp-nys.htm
Nancy

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 3:46PM GMT
The Friends of Abandoned cemeteries has 19th century burial records for a few cemeteries on Staten Island. One of the cemeteries kept great records, they all survive today. Each burial has a burial permit attached to it as well as permits for transport and ferry permits to transfer remains via the water ways.

So I know that burial permits existed back in the 19th century. They should have been filed with the heath department.

Friends of Abandoned Cemeteries Staten Island
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions