Search for content in message boards

Newton Ransom Cemetery look ups (old Luzerne now Lackawanna counties)

Newton Ransom Cemetery look ups (old Luzerne now Lackawanna counties)

Julie Manwarren (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2004 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richards, Ebser, Getts, Blackwell, Bedell, Ace, Lacoe, Stine, Triveley, Klippel, Klipple, Davis, Kliem, Petty, Williams, Courtwright, Metzgar, Hopkins, Hoffman, Zeiss, Winters, Nafus, Howorth, Walter, Ayers, Coon, Jacoby
I just visited three old cemetaries in Newton Ransom and Milwaukee townships in Lackawanna County, PA. (once a part of Luzerne county). Here are just a few of the surnames I came across:
Richards Ebser Getts Blackwell Bedell Ace Lacoe Stine Triveley Klippel Klipple Davis Kliem Petty Williams Courtwright Metzgar Hopkins Hoffman Zeiss Winters Nafus Howorth Walter Ayers Coon Jacoby

There is a lot more. most of the dates are from the 1800's and early 1900's. I will visit and do look ups. email me for more information at manwarren@epix.net
Julie

Re: Newton Ransom Cemetery

John Stevenson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Stevenson, Brodhun, Dymond
Interested in the names of Stevenson, Brodhun, Dymond

These are relatives who were buried in that area. Also, do you have any information on the Poor House or Ransom Asylum ?

Re: Ransom Asylum

Julie Manwarren (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 5:06PM GMT
I think the Ransom Asylum is the current State Hospital on Newton Ransom Blvd. It is a facility for the insane and mentally ill.
Why did you ask? were one of your ancestors somehow connected? I could visit there and find out, if you would like. Also, with the names you gave me, do you know where and when they died? or even where they may be buried?
Sincerely,
Julie
manwarren@epix.net

Re: Ransom Asylum

John Stevenson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Stevenson, Brodhun
Don't have my data with me on birth dates / death dates. I do know that several of the Stevensons and Brodhuns were in the Ransom Home and died there. I thought that the buildings were torn down as they were empty for many years. Perhaps I am thinking of another establishment.
I born and now reside in Kingston. Most of my reatives are from the area.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kindest regards,

John

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 8:00AM GMT
Surnames: Getts
I know this is an old message, but I am interested in the Getts' names. Hit a wall trying to find ancestors. myg-g-grandfather was Benjamin F. Getts. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Laureen

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Getts
Hi! I am willing to do a search for you at our local cemetery but do you mind telling me a little more about Benjamin Getts? Do you know for sure that he lived in this area of PA? What do you know about him? Birth date? Death date? Wife & Children's names? Did he serve in a war? Any info would be helpful. You can email me directly at jmanwarren@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic