Search for content in message boards

John Busse Co/National Brick Company

John Busse Co/National Brick Company

JimBusse (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2005 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Busse, Simon/Siemon/Seaman, Rohn, Weihe/Wey, Grahl
I have done Internet searching for the past year to no avail. Now I'm seeking assistance from others.

My gr-grandad's family (he and his two brothers) were in the brick and construction business in Chicago in the 1870's thru the 1930's or perhaps later. In 1875 my gr-grandad, Frederick was listed as 'bricks r. 93 Hastings' in the city directory (his home address). His brother John was listed as 'Busse, John & Co 9. 126 Dearborn (under 'bricks') and John Busse & Co. r. 140 Henry (under his home address). Their other brother, Christian showed him as part of John Busse & Co with his home address as 67 Hastings. In a later directory Christian is listed as a 'contractor' at 126 Dearborn.

My gr-grandad died in 1878, having apparently drowned in the slip of his brickyard east of Robey St. John & Co. was later headed by John's son, Henry after John's death in 1817. John's obit stated he was a pioneer in the brick industry in Chicago. While I haven't been able to locate an obit for Henry, his wife's, Albertina, obit states that her husband had been president of National Brick Company. Thus, John Busse & Co. had somehow morphed in to National Brick Company...whether through development, integration, a buyout, whatever, is not known.

This is my dilema. I would like to follow up on the family's interest in this business but have met with dead ends wherever I've searched. If anyone out there has information about the brick business, the John Busse & Co/National Brick Co in particular, or Frederick, John and Christian Busse in general, I'd really appreciate hearing from them.

All help is greatly appreciated

Re: John Busse Co/National Brick Company

JMTD (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2005 11:53AM GMT
There was a National Brick and an Illinois Brick Company after the 1871 Chicago fire in Northbrook,near Lake/Cook County boarder, built because of the good clay soil. Started own little town called Bach Town, all these brick companies closed in 1950's not sure if related to your National

Jim Busse (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2005 5:29PM GMT
Thanks for the response. I was aware of a National Brick Company having been located in Northbrook at one time through an online website of Cook County history, however I have no clue whether it is the same company as mine or not. I've searched for historical data on National Brick Company in relation to Chicago but have come up empty. My hope is that someone will see my post and be able to provide some historical data. Ultimately, I would like to know if there are other relations out there besides myself.

Again, thanks for your kind response.

Posted: 1 Aug 2005 2:01AM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2005 2:32AM GMT
I looked for references to National Brick in the Chicago papers online, and found several. One in an obituary for a man named Bob Carey Jr. and his brother is quoted as saying

"I went into law and coaching and later racing while he ran the family brick company [Carey Brick, later National Brick] until we ran out of clay over where the Brickyard Mall is these days."

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 12:33PM GMT
Researching the Carey family and very interested in this article. Does anyone have it?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions