Search for content in message boards

Martin Luther and Vinson Garner Self, Jr. of LeFlore Co. OK

Martin Luther and Vinson Garner Self, Jr. of LeFlore Co. OK

Posted: 9 Jul 2007 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Self, Williamson, Wilson
I'm looking for anyone who knows of this family. Martin Luther Self was married to Belle (____) possibly Trotter..
He was the son of Vinson Garner Self, Jr. and Mary Malissa Hallmark. Vinson and Mary moved with their family here when it was still Indian Territory. They are listed on the Dawes Roll as Choctaw Intermarried Whites. Vinson's son, Robert L., married Ida Wilson, daughter of Charley and Lizzie Wilson.

My ex-husband, Jerry R. Self of Edmond OK, believes that his grandfather's name was Luther Self, but his sister believes it was William Self. Both could be descended from Martin Luther. My ex-father-in-law, Arthur Wayne Self, is deceased and can't tell us and I can't get a birth certificate for him unless I know his father's name and where he was born.

Arthur's father (either William or Luther) died when Art was a child. Perhaps in 1923-27. His mother was Laura Gertrude Williamson who re-married to James Keller.I have found Laura with her parents in 1910 in LeFlore Co., OK also. The family story is that she created a real scandal in the church and community when she re-married so quickly.

Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Self family? Stories? pictures?

Thanks,
Vicki Marsh
(doing genealogy for my son, Anthony Self)

Re: Martin Luther and Vinson Garner Self, Jr. of LeFlore Co. OK

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 1:44PM GMT
Vicki:
Type in the key words odcr in your search engine. It will take you to the Oklahoma District Court Records page and you can look there for answers to your querie about the Self's.
There were several different records for a William, Luther and Martin , but no entries for a marriage for any of them to a Belle Trotter.
Tom S
PVGS

Re: Martin Luther and Vinson Garner Self, Jr. of LeFlore Co. OK

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Self
Thanks, Tom.

Martin Luther Self probably married Belle when they were in Arkansas. But perhaps they will have Laura Gertrude Williamson and her husband - either Luther or William.
Vicki

Re: I found it!!!!! - Martin Luther and Vinson Garner Self, Jr. of LeFlore Co. OK

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 2:11AM GMT
Surnames: Self, Williamson
Tom,
I found the marriage license for Laura and Luther!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Thank you, soooo much!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic