Search for content in message boards

James Maynard Rev. War Soldier bur Wayne Co., West Virginia or Pike Co., Kentucky?

James Maynard Rev. War Soldier bur Wayne Co., West Virginia or Pike Co., Kentucky?

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2004 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: maynard

James Maynard as we all know is listed on plaques in both Wayne Co WV. and Pike Co. Ky. as a Rev. War Soilder who is buried in their counties.

But of he couldn't be buried in both places as we know. I have his death as 13 Oct. 1852 in Wayne and Pike has him as 10 May 1819. Pike Co has him listed as buried in Scott Cemetery. Does any one have the cemetery in Wayne Co he is buried at, they would have to have a cemetery to have him on the plaque there.

The Veterans Grave Registration Project was used for the info.
for the names listed on the plaques in both counties.

The Veterans Grave Registration Project was a part of the works program put together by Franklyn Roosevelt, people were paid to visit graveyards and record the names of veterans. It should be used only as a guide as it has a few mistakes.

As far as I know at this time the Scott Cemetery has not been recorded so I dont think we can find those records on line.

And is it possible that there were two James Maynards?
Are the death dates for James the same in both counties?
Please any who has any ideas on this matter email me.
Terry "Maynard" Baisden

Re: James Maynard Rev. War Soldier bur Wayne Co., West Virginia or Pike Co., Kentucky?

Posted: 3 Sep 2004 12:58AM GMT
James Maynard is my Great Great Grandfather I have found that he was born in 1746 near the Virginia/North Carolina border. I find his name listed in the records of the Roaring River Baptist Church in the Late 1700s, also mentioned is the Name Sarah Johnson, both joined the church at the same time and terminated their membership the same time. this could have been his wife, if so they had seven children together between 1782 and 1799. Lewis ,Jesse, Delilah, Charles, Isaac, Mili, and Mary. My information seems to indicate the wife died about the time of the birth of Mary. in 1799. At this time he married Chaney Smith age 21, in 1801. He then movied his family to Floyd county Kentucky between 1814 and 1819. his final years he lived with his son Simeon in Wayne County WVA (Then VA.) He died 10-13-1852. I would assume he was buried Near wayne Co WVA. I would guess near Dunlow, or Crum as other Maynards are buried here. The Pike county James Maynard, could be a later son James Jr. or a relative of Moses Maynard which was James's nephew. I would be happy to share what info I have if you are interested. It seems to me I have communicated with some time ago. Looking forward to hearing form you. Charles Maynard

Re: James Maynard Rev. War Soldier bur Wayne Co., West Virginia or Pike Co., Kentucky?

Posted: 3 Sep 2004 8:31AM GMT
Surnames: maynard
Hi Charles,

We have exchanged emails before and as alway you are always most generous with your information or thoughts.

I wish so much we could find his grave site where every it is.
But you are most likely right I don't think they would have taken
him some where different to bury him then where he lived.

Thanks again for your email.
Terry Baisden
http://www.geocities.com/tabby41203/familytree.html

Re: James Maynard, Jr., Wayne Co., W. V

Posted: 17 Sep 2004 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 3:05PM GMT
Hello Charles,

Please tell about the James Maynard Jr. and Moses Maynard connection. There is an old cemetery on Rt. 10, Sand Creek Rd., Atenville, Lincoln Co., WV. called the 'MAYNARD CEMETERY' but it used to be referred to as Old Man Moses Maynard Cemetery, as he is buried in it. I am sure it is not the same one of which you mentioned, but a later generation, but I am still curious as to the connection of James and Moses.

I recently aquired the Civil War service records and Pension/widow record documents from the National Archives in Washington D.C., for FARMER NELSON, b. 1825 Floyd, KY. He was married to MATILDA MAYNARD June 02, 1847 in Wayne Co., VA (WV) at James Maynard's home, by James Williamson. There is also no known recorded evidence of her marriage to Farmer Nelson as she recalled. Her statements were corroborated by D. Wells and W. Adkins, who testify that they are personally acuainted with the claimant, Mrs. Nelson, and know that she is the widow of the soldier. This is testified to by Matilda in an affidavit deposition, dated Nov. 16, 1888. This is continuous throughout the many papers (around 150+ or -) of different people testifing to knowing her and the unfortunate demise of her husband Farmer, who was taken POW in Wayne Co., by the confederates, along with several other locally enlisted men...Silas Damron, William Nelson, Henry Dalton, and Harrison Pack. Each one of these men gives their testimony as to the happenings of the day that they were all captured and taken to Logan Courthouse and then on foot to Dublin Depot, VA as prisoners. Knowing full well that they would soon be taken on to Richmond, VA to the prison for Union Soldiers.

None the less, Farmer Nelson died on Jan. 18, 1862, in Bowling Green, due to pneumonia or typhoid fever from exposure to the bad elements and drudgery of being a POW. He was captured Dec. 15, 1861. According to the other men's testimony, that had been with him, (Damron and Pack) Nelson and themselves had been forced (coherced) into doing the drudgery work for the confederate soldiers. They were under guard all the time, but not heavily guarded. The men all talked about their expectations of escaping and returning to Wayne Co. to reenlist with their local units and staying true to the Union Cause.

Matilda had many person's deposed in regards to her trying to aquire a widow's pension for her Soldier's service but was denied, as the Special Examiner would not believe that the men could not escape between Dublin Depot, VA and their train ride to Bowling Green, KY.

Matilda Maynard's and Farmer Nelson's Children as deposed by Matilda in a General Affidavit given Apr. 03, 1894. She listed her age as 60. She listed Sarah Maynard as a mid wife to one or more of the children being born as proof, but stated that Sarah was deceased. She mentioned that L. C. Queen was who was transcribing her oral statement. Rufus Pack and Wm. Toppins were witness to her signing her Mark, an X.

Allen Nelson b. June 05, 1849 Ky
Sophia Nelson, b. Nov. 05, 1851 Wayne Co., VA
Lewis Nelson, b. Aug. 27, 1853 Wayne Co., VA
Sarah Nelson, b. Feb. 22, 1855 Wayne Co., VA
Milly Nelson, b. June 10, 1857 Wayne Co, VA
William Nelson, b. March 22, 1859 Wayne Co., VA
Nancy Nelson, b. March 22, 1859 Wayne Co., VA
Farmer Nelson, Jr., b. May 08, 1862 Wayne Co., VA, d. Dec. 14, 1885 in North Dakota (gen. Affidt by Wm. Nelson April 5, 1894).
_________

List of names of witnesses and deposed:

Charles A. Maynard
Absalom Stephenson
John Maynard
Lewis Maynard (age 75)
Silas Damron
William Nelson (son)
William Nelson (Brother in Law)
E.M. Nelson (B. i. L)
Jesse Maynard
Katie Maynard
Hannah Pack
Nannie Queen
Nancy Workman
Millie Queen
John Toppins
Wm. Stratton (Gen. confederates of Logan, WV)
J. A. Nighbert (First Lt. conferates of Logan, WV)
E.M. Brumfield
to name a few.........
_______

In a depostion given by Matilda Maynard Nelson on Feb. 20, 1895,
She states, "It is true I gave birth to 2 children after soldier died and they were not his children. The youngest of these children is 22 years old." wit: E.W. Brumfield and Wirt Brumfield

Matilda speaks of Ulysses Grant Nelson, b. March 02, 1869, and her daughter, Mary Nelson, b. 1872. These two show up in the 1880 Wayne Co., WV Census together as having a father listed as being born in VA, not KY, as the rest of their siblings. Ulysses G. Nelson is my great grandfather.
______

Lincoln Co., WV Courthouse County Clerks Record Books.

Death Book 1, under 'N' listings,
1911 August 04, Matilda Nelson, died of consumption, aged 36 yrs 4 mos. Housekeeping. Informant: U.G.Nelson, husband. (This is Matilda J. Dalton, b. 1876, spouse of Ulysses Nelson)

same book and page,
1912 August 02, Matilda Nelson, died of dropsy; aged 80 yrs; informant: W.M. Nelson, son. (could be U. G. Nelson, too, as the handwritting of the clerk is terrible.). (This is Matilda Maynard Nelson, spouse of Farmer Nelson.).
_________

And by the way, Ulysses and Mary Nelson knew their father's name, as it was listed on Ulysses death record in the Logan Co., WV Courthouse as of July 15, 1937.

Thanks and I thought you all might like the information.

Sandi

Re: James Maynard, Jr., Wayne Co., W. V

Charles E. Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2004 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Maynard/Minard
James Maynard b:1746 and whose second wife was Chaney Smith, is My GG Grandfather and Grandmother, is one of 4 brothers, William, James, Gibson, and Christopher Columbus Maynard. Some doubt Gibson's relationship. James is probably the son of William Maynard b:1720 Devonshire England and came to America, Duplin NC., at about age 16. William had two wives. Jame and brothers seem to be from the second marriage. James had two wives 1st probably Sarah Johnson, Second marriage was with Chaney Smith, marriage is recorded as being 12-25-1801 or 1808. a son of this marriage is James Jr. Maynard. I would like to pass more info along to you about this family and also the Courier Journal story of Moses Maynard. If interested please send your e-mail address to cemaynard@frontiernet.net Looking forward to hearing from you. Charles Maynard

Re: James Maynard Rev. War Soldier -Father/Brother William

maryanne cottmeyer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2004 10:21PM GMT
Terry-I visited your website and looks like you have done extensive research. I'm descended from Marcus Maynard, who most believe is the son of James' brother Willliam Maynard.

I don't know if you have any help for those of us on this side of the family but would be interested in finding gravesites or any records on William, his wife Elizabeth who died in 1850 (on 1850 Mortality Schedule), Marcus or any of Marcus's children.

Am retiring soon and promised my mother to make a trip to Kentucky to see what I can find.

Also I have previously posted information about 2 William Maynards who served in the French & Indian War. One of them is listed as a shoemaker (which is supposedly what James father's occupation was). He enlisted and served under George Washington in Williamsberg and was the correct age-would have been born in the 1720's.

The second William Maynard in the French & Indian War was from North Carolina. His brother George also served. They may also be the Maynard family found on the Virginia/North Carolina border area around Grayson Co VA. I have found William Maynard listed in that area on an early 1780's county tax list.

The Maynard's seemed also to be backwoods hunters as some legal descriptions use William Maynard's cabin as a marker.

My grandfather, Mark James Maynard (this name has persisted in our family through several generations including his uncle) wrote a letter to our family in the 1960's in which he describes his family as woodsmen. He was born in Minnesota but his grandfather was William Maynard, son of Marcus & Charity, son of William & Elizabeth?

I haven't had time yet, but would like to research the Orange Co North Carolina area as well in the mid-1700's. Look forward to any help you can give us.

Charles E. Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2004 12:31AM GMT
I am the G G Grandson of James Maynard and Chaney Smith James's second wife. I don't know the first wife's name, maybe Sarah Johnson. I do have a brother of James listed as William who was in the Rev. War. as was James. The children I have listed for this William are Moses Maynard b:10-18-1766,Christopher B. Maynard b:10-4-1765, Jesse Maynard b:1775, Lewis Maynard b: 1782. David Maynard b: 1795. I have no info for a Marcus Maynard. I also have Moses living to be 107 year old. I have some other information for Moses, a couier Journal Louisville news paper article THE OLD MAN IS DEAD writtern 1884. would like to hear more about your Maynard line. Charles Maynard cemaynardfrontiernet.net

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 11:55PM GMT
This William seems to be confusing as the Maynards from East Kentucky, a book my mother has had for a long time, lists Moses as James & William's younger brother from father William's 2nd marriage.

The William that came to Pike Co with James & Moses died approx 1830 in Pike Co and his wife was supposedly Elizabeth. Elizabeth Maynard, aged 97, died in Pike Co in 1850. She is listed in the 1850 Pike Co Mortality Schedule. Wish she would have lived a little longer to see who she was living with in the 1850 Census-she died very inconveniently.

However, your James has 2 women over 45 lviing with him in the 1840 census-so maybe this Elizabeth couldn't handle the noise of all of those grandchildren.

I do have your James's Rev. War Pension Records where William states he has known him all his life. Unfortunately, he doesn't go into more detail.

Will keep posting if and when I find anything.

Posted: 5 Dec 2004 12:00AM GMT
P.S. Marcus Maynard's first wife was Agnes Smith. She died early 1820's in Pike Co. They had 3 children:

Moses born 1814 married a Francis
Polly born 1816 married James Ray
Sarah born 1820 approx-married a Syck.

Have often tried to find connection between Chaney Smith and her. William signed the bond for James & Chaney Smith's marriage in Wilkes Co., NC. Jediadiah Smith married a Maynard in Pike Co early on and lived next to Marcus Maynard and his family through many censuses. I really believe there is a connection there but haven't found smoking gun yet.

Moses Maynard b. 1766 Chatham Co., N.C. d. 1874 s/o William Maynard

Charles Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2004 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 5 Dec 2004 4:31PM GMT
Mingo Genealogy
Moses Maynard

Courier-Journal
Louisville, June 30, 1874
A VERY OLD MAN

"The old man is dead"
Was the word which came to me
by post today.

"And who, pray, is the old man?" asks the reader.

A man I went to see in Madison County last winter - Moses Maynard by name, aged one hundred and seven years. He was born according to all accounts, October 18, 1766 and departed this life June 15, 1874. I will not add full of trouble and vexation of spirit, for the burden of years rested on him lightly. Death came at last, like sleep to the tired child.

There was no cruel shock of disease. There was no apparent failure of health even.. He arose at the usual hour that bright June morning, and after taking his customary ration of whiskey, had "knocked around a little, in his own words, feeding the chickens and making to believe to work among the flowers in the door-yard. He had munched sparingly of a crust of bread which he had helped himself to from the kitchen cupboard, but it did not take his appetite away, for the substantial breakfast he ate with unusual relish..
After the regular morning meal he sat down in his armchair on the porch and smoked his pipe, looking out on the woods and fields and sky, and once that she saw him, said his daughter-in-law, stooped to pick up a pin. That was away he had. There never was a nail or a pin that he did not see, and true to the old superstition, he always walked around it, if necessary, to pick it up point toward him, for luck. The next that she noticed, good Mrs. Maynard, the pipe had slipped out of his hand, his stick had dropped on the floor, and his head had fallen away over on one side, until it rested prone on his left shoulder. It was an attitude that was not to be mistaken, and she cried out in alarm: "Come quick, somebody, some thing's the matter with pap.
Sure enough, when the family with hurried steps drew near they saw that death had gotten the best of the old man at last. The blackness of death had passed over the face, the under jaw had fallen, and the blue eyes had turned a last cold gaze at the sky.

My young readers may think it strange, but a cry of lamentation went up for the loss of that old man, who had for years been more of a care than a help, and the desolation of the household after the remains were cared for and buried, can only be likened to the void in a family when a little child is taken away.

But this is presuming upon the interest of the
reader in a stranger, and I proceed to explain. Last winter, when in attendance upon the Corwin-Stillwell trial, I was told that probably

THE OLDEST MAN IN THE STATE

lived near Anderson (Indiana). It was some time before I could ascertain the exact whereabouts, and then I should have been at a loss, had not Mr. Lee Trees, an enterprising young merchant of the place, volunteered to take me out to see him. The Maynards were customers of Mr. Trees and he had frequently promised to call on them. The opportunity was most favorable, and I gladly embraced it.

This was Friday, the last day of the trial. It had
rained all the week, but that night it blew cold so
suddenly that the water on the earth was frozen, and the very moisture in the air seemed congealed. The next morning it was extremely cold. [The correspondent here gives a description of the weather and the beginnings of the trip with Mr. Trees "past the Stillwell mansion, over the river and skirting the cemetery, - as we struck out into the broad highway leading north, - final direction which made us turn into a country road on the right.

Directions from a countryman: "Go to the right till you see a barn.. That's not the place. Then you keep on till you see a cabin on the left. That's not the place. Then you strike a neck of timber. Beyond that is a wheat field next to a lane on the left. Up that lane half a quarter Louis, Maynard lives, that's old Moose Maynard's son. It may be that Moose is not there. He goes down to see his daughter now and then. (Here follows a lengthy description of the road and of the difficulties of the trip.)

THE MAYNARD HOME

was a one story house or nest of houses, situated in a little dooryard of the lane. It was painted white, with a dark green door and window frames, and although weather boarded, was evidently a log house. (Here follows a further description of the house, and etc., . and of Mrs. Maynard - Louis's wife.)

He, (Maynard) had daughters, but he was not happy with them. Mrs. Maynard said perhaps it was because they did not live at the old home. Louis and his wife owned it now.
They bought it of the father, paying him more for it than any one else would. He had spent the money years ago for traveling expenses to Kentucky and back. Mrs. Maynard told the correspondent that Moose Maynard was always a Democrat, but that he had voted for Greeley in the last election and she had not told him that Greeley was not a Democrat.

A description of Moose Maynard - could pass for eighty. about five feet ten, slight, erect frame, without teeth, eyes sunken, thin locks not at all gray, must have been handsome man in his youth, had two hickory canes about 3 feet 10 inches in length, all except 6 inches of upper was decorated, cut in many sided points, painted in variegated style, blue, black, red and yellow, etc., he was very deaf.

In further conversation he told me that he had never been sick but once, and then the doctors drove him pretty close,., he was never married but once and his wife had been dead 27 years. He had never married again. He would not trouble any body else with the trouble of him. He and his wife belonged to the Baptist church. She was buried in the graveyard near, where he expected to lie when the Almighty called him. He supposed he would never die until his time came,

"How old are you?" I ask.
"Ninety three years old," he replied.

"That's what he always says", observed the daughter-in-law. He was 107 years old last October, but he never says he is any older than 93.

"Where were you born?" I asked.
"Way down in Chatham County, North Carolina, at the foot of Blue Ridge, 12 miles from Hillsborough. My father's name was William Maynard. He lived to be 88 years old. After he told me I was my own man, I came right away to Pike County, Kentucky. I was married on the top of Blue Ridge to Sarah Grenstreet, who was 6 months younger than me. There's just 23 years difference betwixt my oldest boy's age and mine". [Here the daughter-in-law interposed that this son was 84 years old, which observation escaped the old man's ear.] He went on with his story, which was elicited by much interrogation.. "We had 11 children: William, Julia, Betty, Richard, James, Janey, Barnabeth, Christopher, John, Charity and Susie. Four of them are dead. I remember when my father was whipped by the British in the cornfield, during the Revolutionary War, because he would not tell where his brother was. My uncle was a soldier during the Revolution. My brother was taken off by the British. I have voted for every President from George Washington down to Mr. Greeley. [No one could get it through the old man's head that Mr., Greeley was not President and alive.] We lived in a little log cabin in North Carolina, 12 miles from the courthouse. My father had no slave. My stepmother had 8. We had no kind of wagons in those days. We put the tobacco in hogsheads and lashed them to hoop-poles and hitching horses to them, rolled them to market 30 or 40 miles. The way was to heat and bend the hoop-poles and nail them to the hogsheads.
The people about where I was born were bad off, but they were free with what they had. They were an awful set to drink. I have had more hardships than all the rest of the family.

The correspondent states that for a period of 90 odd years Moose Maynard had been a constant drinker and that he would get drunk when he went out from home, and for longer than that time he had chewed and smoked tobacco. He was never noisy or troublesome when drunk.

Withal, he had never wronged any man but himself of a penny, and dies as much respected and more regretted than many a younger man.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions