Search for content in message boards

Jose Francisco Marti

Jose Francisco Marti

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a great grand-daughter of Jose Marti, of Cuba. I am trying to verify the death of his son, Jose Francisco Marti, in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico. Does anyone know how I can
certify that he did, indeed, die here?
I think I might be related to some of you!! Jose Marti's daughter (illegitimate) , Maria Mantilla (Romero), was my grandmother. Her son, Cesar Romero, was my uncle. Please contact me if you think we can trace our lineage!
Thank you for your help

Re: Jose Francisco Marti

Posted: 2 May 2002 11:53PM GMT
I am a Marti from Utuado, Puerto Rico

Victoria Romero (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2002 1:23AM GMT
To Everlidis;

How are you related to Jose Marti from Cuba?

Lou Marti (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2002 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: MARTI
Unfortunately, I am not responding because I can help you with documenting Jose Francisco Marti's death in Puerto Rico. However, as you can tell by my last name I am also a Marti. My father (Luis) and my grandfather (Paul) originated from Ponce, PR. My great-grandfather (Vicente) originated from Requena, Spain. Before my father passed away he told me that a couple of his father's (Paul) brothers had emmigrated to Cuba pre-Castro. I am writing on the small chance that some of my family names may ring a bell with you and make some sort of family connection. Physically, my grandfather Paul was about six-foot and red-headed.
He was a livestock dealer in Ponce for many years before dying in the late fifties.

Posted: 9 May 2002 10:20PM GMT
I have like 8 aunt and uncles that are marti from Utuado
if you don't mind would you please tell me who your dad is
and where they live
very good chance we are related because as far as I know there is only one marti family in Utuado

Victoria (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2002 10:58PM GMT
The Marti family I was looking for is Cuban, originating, I think, from Spain. I had heard that my great grandfather's son had died in Puerto Rico, but I think that is not the truth. I don't think we are related, unless, of course, your family is a relative of Jose Julian Marti. He did have alot of sisters.

Posted: 25 Dec 2002 4:53AM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2003 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Marti. Perez, Navarro
Victoria: I have communicated with you before. I had been mixed up because there were, actually, three individuals named Jose Marti. My relative, Ricardo Cardona Marty descend from Jose Marti, the one that died in Puerto Rico. I thought that this Jose Marti was the son of the Cuban poet and revolutionary. Actually, the three Joses were related. Yet, they were from three different generations. There was Jose Julian Marti Perez, the Cuban poet. There was his son, Jose Francisco Marti and Jose Marti Navarro- my relative`s ancestor.It gets a little more complicated because there were two Marianos Marti; one was Jose`s ( Julian ) father, the other was his cousin. His cousin was born in Puerto Rico. It will be easier if we think: Mariano Marti Navarro from Spain who settled in Cuba- had a son named Jose Julian Marti Perez, who had a son named Jose Francisco Marti. Jose Marti Navarro from Spain, who eventually settled in Puerto Rico, had a son named Mariano Marti, who was born and died in Puerto Rico. This latter Mariano was your grandmother`s ( Maria Mantilla ) second cousin. Jose Julian had sisters who moved to Spain with him and his parents when he went there exiled. I recently found that one married and settled in Barcelona. There was a query from her descendant in a Spanish web site. I can`t remember the e-mail address. If I find it again, I`ll send it to you. By-the-way, I found another Marti branch in Puerto Rico that although descendants of Spaniards, do not seem to be related to your branch.

Victoria R. Zane (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2002 1:12AM GMT
Miriam, Yes, I remember our communication. You are right in that there are 3 Jose Marti's we were talking about. I have found out that my Jose Julian Marti had one son, who did not have children. I would love to have that email address if you can find it. Thank you so much for your research. My sister and I are travelling to Cuba at the end of January to celebrate the birth of Jose Julian Marti, the poet. We found a cousin with whom we plan on meeting. We will also meet a professr at the University of Havana who has written books on my great-grandfather.
We look forward to this journey. Thank you for your attention and your time for us.

Posted: 27 Feb 2006 1:35AM GMT
any chance you can share that other branch of marti you found in the island.. i am a marti and would like information... thanks

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 5:22AM GMT
Hello, It seems that I was checking my geneology and found out today that my great grandmother, Tereza Perez, was the second cousin of Jose Marti Perez, the Cuban poet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions