Search for content in message boards

Any SKINNER of Indian descent.

Any SKINNER of Indian descent.

Posted: 12 Dec 1999 2:27AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2002 10:02PM GMT
Would love to hear from anyone who has even slight knowledge of Indian SKINNERS, especially Cherokee. My imed. family of Skinners did not go over trail of tears, had already moved north to Ind. Please respond lets talk.
Posted: 14 Dec 1999 11:16PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2001 11:21PM GMT
My grandparents were born in the mid 1800's. I know my great grandparents were or at least one of them was cherokee. My grandfather was Charles Anderson Skinner and my grandmother was Eliza Jane Lunsford Skinner. Have been trying to trace my heritage.

reply to Fran, SKINNER

Posted: 15 Dec 1999 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2002 10:02PM GMT
Fran, I have posted many SKINNER searches, but you are the first to say that you have a Cherokee connection. My grt. grmother, Harriet SKINNER was prob. born mid 1830's, but I don't know where. I can only pass along what has been repeated thru her 2 dtrs, Mary Ellen (aka MAY) and Carrie, my gmo
Thankfully, both lived very long healthy lives, or I wouldn't have any info at all. Here's the gist of what I've been told
The Skinner sur-name was given to Harriet's family by the US government as the closest translation of her Father's name (Bear Skinner, Skinner Bear, or some such name). He was a chief (usually meaning only that he was the leader of his imediate clan/group) Anyway, in trying to "civilize" the Cher.'s, the gov. sent Harriet and an unkn sister away to a school in the north. They were to become teachers. At least some of the elder family followed. I really regret that I never thought to ask the name of the school.
The next I know of her, she is mar'd to my Grt Grdfather, Charles Henry MYERS, a newly
imigrated young man from Germany. Their 1st child, Mary Ellen, was born 1849 at the Indiana Reserve, (Don't let anyone tell you there was no such place as I have it on a map) Harriet Chas. had at least 5-6 more chldn, incl. a set of twin boys. None of their names are known to me. Their last child was my gr.mother Carrie, b- Dec. 1878 in Bolin Green, Illinois (Another place they say never existed - WRONG!) I guess I must try to shorten this, but it's important for you to know that most Native Amer.'s kept the mother's Sur-name instead of their father's. So, in abt 1881, the SKINNER/MYERS family left for AR./OK. Harriet died enroute, in or near Topeka, KS.
Mary Ellen had several marr'gs, Andrews, Ellsworth, Atkins, Miller last McCready. Carrie mar'd Joseph Bennet MULKEY, as widow mar'd Frank James BAKER. I wish I knew which older ones kept the SKINNER name. If you or anyone can help me or Fran, Please do.
My personal e-mail is, home902@aol.com

indian skinners

joyce (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 1999 6:14PM GMT
i have a gggreatgrandmother named Cora Bell Skinner. She was born in the mid 1800's. I have been told she was full cherokee. I have not been able to find her anywhere. could this be the other sister. I know she married a William Edmund Sharp. I do know that she died in 1914. If this rings any bells please email me at
jjgraham@cyberhighway.net

Thanks.

My grandparents are Native American!

Lillie Dalene Skinner (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 1999 3:57PM GMT
Grandparents are George Skinner b 12 Nov 1882
d. 15 Oct 1971 Married Pearl Algood b. 29 Dec 1905 d. Jul 1979. He was married to someone else before her. 4 kids 1st time and about 7 2nd time. George was Apache and
Pearl was Cherokee. Or so I've been told. I do not have enough background to be of more help. Any info from you maybe?
Dalene
dalene66@yahoo.com

Skinner in Indiana

Melvin Meeks (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 1999 1:01PM GMT
I may be looking in wrong places
a William Meeks married to Rosanna Skinner
on 1840an 1850 cencus in decature co Ind.is related to Obediah Meeks b1820somewhere in KY my gggrandfarther famley Lor has it he was 1/2 Indan He Married Sarah Burton in1843 Who had earlyer married George Skinnerin 1832 A William An Mella Skinner b in 1771 from VA as to census but uable to locate in Vaany help finding Obediah Parents
will appreciate

Skinner genealogy

Posted: 27 Dec 1999 12:06PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2001 4:16PM GMT
I do have a LITTLE info on Native Americans,Cherokee,Skinner family born in Ill;settled in Laclede Co Mo. have a picture would be willing to share with you.contact me at Barb_Lowry@SSMHC.com

John Skinner

Gary A. Skinner (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2000 11:10AM GMT
Fran I had always heard my family was part native american. My GGGrandfather John Skinner was listed on the 1832 Creek Indian census in Georgia or Alabama at that time, it showed him living in an indian town that I am going to have to dig up the name with a woman named Ellen. This is all I have on them at this time. Anyone with knowledge feel free to contact me at e-mail , sitzy@metrolink.net,
Thank you

Skinner/Native American?

Ladena Johannsen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2000 9:48AM GMT
I'm searching for information on Samuel C. Skinner (C was probably Conway, but could have been Cosgrave or Cosgrove). He married Nancy Elizabeth Cash. His mother's name was probably Elizabeth (but unsure if that is a first or middle name). They settled for some time in the Laclede Co area. Do you have any information on Samuel, or can you point me in any direction at all? My great-aunt (Samuel's granddaughter) is now 85 years old, and I promised to help find out anything I possibly could about him before she gets too much older.

Thanks, Ladena (ladena@kc.net)

Skinner/Native American?

Ladena Johannsen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2000 9:49AM GMT
I'm searching for information on Samuel C. Skinner (C was probably Conway, but could have been Cosgrave or Cosgrove). He married Nancy Elizabeth Cash. His mother's name was probably Elizabeth (but unsure if that is a first or middle name). They settled for some time in the Laclede Co area. Do you have any information on Samuel, or can you point me in any direction at all? My great-aunt (Samuel's granddaughter) is now 85 years old, and I promised to help find out anything I possibly could about him before she gets too much older.

Thanks, Ladena (ladena@kc.net)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic