Search for content in message boards

How do you pronounce Wootton?

How do you pronounce Wootton?

Jan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2005 3:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Speaking to a Wootton of my family line, I learned that we pronounce Wootton differently. My curiosity was sparked. How many ways are there that Wootton is pronounced? How do you and your close family pronounce "Wootton"?

Re: How do you pronounce Wootton?

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 10:58AM GMT
Hi Jan,
My wife's maiden name is Wootton and I have only heard it said as if you were saying 'wooden' but without the 'd' and with the 't' of course. That's the easiest way I can explain it. I suppose some people say it with an long 'oooo' but I've never heard that before.

Hope this helps,
Les

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 8:10PM GMT
The prononciation by people whose relatives emigrated from England fairly recently (e.g. after 1880) seems to be "wooden" but with a "t" instead of a "d" dental. The prononciation by people used to seeing the spelling Wooten and variants generally say "Woooooton." We always said "wooden" in my family (arrived 1889 to NYC and then Pacific NW)--I was reminded of that recently by my 96 year old removed cousin who came over in 1914.

michael celio (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2006 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: wootton
My maternal grandfather was a Wootton; his family emigrated from England to Utah circa 1850. The family has always pronounced the name as in "wooden", not "woo".

Posted: 14 Aug 2008 5:48PM GMT
My maiden name is Wootton. My grandparents insist that the pronunciation for the "double o" is the same as wood, not tooth. We have always pronounced it this way.

It does my heart good to read the other replies which agree with this same pronunciation. Most people don't pronounce it this way. :)

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 10:07PM GMT
I am definitely a 'wu' not a 'woo' ! And so were my family for generations. Thelma Wootton.

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 1:08PM GMT
Surnames: Wootton Bennett
Here in Derbyshire, my Woottons - who originally hail from the Towcester area in Northamptonshire- pronounce it as a firm, blunt WUTTUN, with the second syllable containing one of those indisctinct vowel sounds which are more of a 'uh' than anything else.
My great granddad was Frank Henry Wootton - born in the hamlet of Wood Burcote near Towcester. He married Linoura Bennett in Staveley, Derbyshire, where he worked on the railway.

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 10:04AM GMT
Our family has lived in the Shoreditch / Hoxton / Islington area of London since the early 1800´s when my great great grandfather came down from Coventry. My Dad always pronunced our surname as in ´wooden´ but also using the glottal stop on the ´t´sound, that is, not really pronuncing the ´t´ sound at all.
Hope this adds a bit more interest to the idea of how many ways to pronounce Wootton.

Tina Wootton
Spain.

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: Wootton
So what is the origin of the name Wootton? I have been told it derives from Woden or Oden, a norse god.

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 10:33AM GMT
Surnames: Wootton
Hi,

My Wootton ancestors moved to Islington and the East End of London from Bloxwich in Staffordshire during the Industrial Revolution. My mum's family, being from the East End, also do not pronounce the 't' (Woo'on). This T-glottalization is common to this area in the Cockney accent and Estuary English accent of the south east. I'm curious as to how it is pronounced in Staffordshire?

Regards,
Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions