Search for content in message boards

Preservation of letters from late 1800s?

Preservation of letters from late 1800s?

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 12:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am in possession of several letters written by my great grandfather from the late 1800's and would like input on the best way to preserve them. Does anyone have any suggestions on products to use or which ones NOT to use? Thanks in advance.

Re: Preservation of letters from late 1800s?

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 6:12PM GMT
First it is wise to transcribe them to a word.doc so you can reference them and keep them intact in archival safe materials. Unfold them and slip each page ito it's own clear plastic sleeve. From there you can have them framed or secure in a manila file folder or three ring binder labelled letters of (surname) branch or whatever is easiest for quick retrieval.

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 2:44PM GMT
Plastic sleeve is a little bit problematic, because of possible chemical interaction.
My advise: scan the documents and put them in a box to a dry place and let them lie there as long as possible.

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 11:34AM GMT
You've probably come up with solution by now; both previous responses contained good advice. (Although second poster seemed to miss that first person clearly said 'archival safe materials.')
http://globalgenealogy.com/archival offers archival document & artifact preservation produts.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 2:57PM GMT
First I would scan them so you don't have to handle them again.

Once scanned place each into its own acid free plastic bag then place the acid free bags into an acids free storage box and put it on a shelf where it's away from direct light, humidity and heating and cooling sources.

Acids free bags and boxes arent expensive and you can get them at an art supply store.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic