Search for content in message boards

1870 - State School for the Deaf

1870 - State School for the Deaf

Posted: 4 Jan 2004 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHIDESTER, SINCLAIR
Where would have been the Iowa state school for the deaf in about 1870?

My relative, Zadok Chidester, attended the school and that is where it is said that he met his future wife, Maggie B. Sinclair. They married on 25 Apr 1886 when he was 30 and she was 17; and she filed for divorce two and a half months later in July of 1886. The 1880 Federal Census indicates her family was living in Sac County, Iowa.

Re: 1870 - State School for the Deaf

C.D.Smith (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 1:18AM GMT
The Iowa school for the deaf is at Council Bluffs,Iowa,and as far as I know it has always been there.

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: HERBOLD, EDGERTON, ZEEK, ELLIS, BERARDI
1855 - The Iowa Institution for the Deaf and Dumb officially opened in Iowa City, Iowa.
1870 - The school was relocated to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and officially opened at this new location.
2009 - The school is now called Iowa School for the Deaf and is still located in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
~~~
My great grandparents attended and met at the school, and my grandparents attended and met at there as well.

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 3:34AM GMT
Surnames: CHIDESTER
Are records available of those that attended the school for the Deaf in Council Bluff, Iowa? My great grandfather's brother, Zadock/"Dock" Chidester in Monroe County married on April 25, 1886 a lady that he met there.

Audrey

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 12:38AM GMT
In 2007, my mother and I visited the Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs. At that time, we were shown around the museum there, and we were allowed to view our ancestors' original registration pages in two old, large leather bound books. I photographed the pages that were relevant to our family members. I am not sure how readily available those books are, but I do know that they exist. You should contact the school and ask them. What was the name of the lady your great grandfather's brother met there?

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: CHIDESTER, DEYO, SINCLAIR
Zadock CHIDESTER, Jr. was born 22 Apr 1856 in Monroe County, Iowa to Zadock and Susannah THARP CHIDESTER. I have 2 stories about the "deaf Lady" that Zadock Chidester, Jr. met and married. They are as follows:

Anna DEYO writes to her Uncle Elliott CHIDESTER in April of 1886: "Uncle Dock married a deaf lady in Monroe County, but they have parted. I do not know what was the trouble. Aunt said the relation was all well." Evidently they divorced after 2-1/2 months per family lore. Her last name was said to have been Baird.

On 20 March 1887 from Moravia, Iowa Zadock, Jr. wrote to his brother Elliott: " I was married April 25, 1886, but my woman flew the track and went back to her Mother and served me for a divorce and alimony. I kept away and let her get her divorce by default. I have been batching it here for two years next month except for two and a half months that my wife lived with me."

Sarah Hindman in one of her articles for the local Albia, Iowa newspaper, wrote that Zadock, Jr. married Maggie SINCLAIR, whom he met when both attended a school for the deaf at Council Bluffs, and were divorced within a year.

Does anyone have this Maggie Sinclair in their family line?

Hm! Where would I go to search divorce records for Morovia residence in Woodbury County, Iowa?

Audrey Cox Vogelpohl
avogelpohl@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic