Search for content in message boards

GUILFORD PEAVY

GUILFORD PEAVY

GREG W. JOYNER (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2004 2:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I AM AT A DEAD END WITH THIS GUY.HE WAS BORN IN GA.I HAVE NO DATES EXCEPT FOR THE DATE OF MARRIAGE TO DICY MOORE 9-7-1829.HIS MOTHER WAS NANCY MIZELL.

Re: GUILFORD PEAVY

Posted: 28 Nov 2004 12:04AM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2005 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: Beecher Googe Rentz Hesters OQuinn Bullard Horton Hagan and Phillips
Hi
The only thing I have found on him is on the 1880 Screven Co census, I am looking for info on their daughter Patience who married Enos Phillips. They had three children, Mary Jane, Frances and Jordon. Which is listed on the 1860 Screven census. Patience and Enos had to have died during the war, because we find Frances and Jordon are found in the home of William Peevy, next door to Mary and John Peevy,in 1880 Jordon, nephew, and america Harris, neice is living with John and Mary. Della Harris is found in the HH of Guilford in 1880.
Mary Jane was born in 1853 and would have been only 10 in 1863, within the few years her parents died, she would have been to young to have been married, but she is not found in the house with her siblings unless she is in another families house that I have not ran across. If this is the same Mary, she would have gotten married to augustus Hansel Beecher in 1873. Hansel my great great grandfather was born and raised in Appling county GA, a few counties away from Screven.So right now I am looking into the census records of the surrounding counties, to see if she can be found. Anything you have on this family would be greatly appreciated.
Deb
dalbert@itol.com
thebee@arkansas.com

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 3:58AM GMT
Debbie, I am sorry I took so long in answering your mail. Lately there has been a fair amount of interest in Guilford. It has take a long time for me to compile his info. For instance, by chance I was looking for something on my Nease family in Effingham county and found a note on Guilford as a volunteer in the confederate army. So, you never know what you will find or where. If there is anything else I can offer please ask. Greg

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 2:05PM GMT
Hi Greg,
Hope I can figure this out, I put to many postings out there so I hope I have this right. I am looking for Mary Jane Phillips. I believe her parents were Enos and Patience Peavy Phillips. On a census, there was Enos, Patience, two other siblings with Mary J., she was born in 1853, by the 1860 census, Mary J. is gone and the two siblings are in the house of another Peevy(sorry I don't have my notes with me, but I can get that to you later) and the by the 1870 census, the kids are in the next door Peevy home. So I believe both Enos and Patience must have died during the war and the kids were sent out to family. If this is my Mary Jane Phillips, she married my 2nd great grandfather Augustus Hasel Beecher, from Appling Co., GA. So if I could tie maybe a Peavy to Appling, or find more info on Patience, then maybe I can find a link. I also have been told that my great grandmother was Native American, and in a picture she looks it. If she is this would mean it had to have come through the Phillips or Peavy side. Hope this gives you enough to see if you have anything on any of these people.
Please contact me directly through my email address at
dalbert@itol.com
Thanks so much, Debbie

Greg (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2004 12:34AM GMT
Debbie,I will have to lok in my records to find Patience. I do know Guilford had a daughter by that name.I do know his grandmother was Patience Daughtry Mizell.

Debbie Alberts (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2004 3:18AM GMT
Hi Greg,
This is looking more and more like this is my Mary Jane. Her daughter was named Maggie Malzora, but may have been Maggie Mezell . I also have Columbia S, Mizell b 1859 married a Mceachen and Susan Mizell b. 1818 married to a Bullard and William Mizell father of Susan. Check and see if you have these names, this would ar least connect the two families and close the gap a little. I have been searching for Mary's family a long time so any info you can pass my way would be so appreciated. If you could send it to my email address dalbert@itol.com
Thanks again so much, Deb

Jelane Pevey Battle (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2005 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Peavey, Peavy, Pevey etc., etc.
My ancestry. If you want more, e-mail JBattle508@Hotmail.COM
Joseph Peavey
Joseph Peavey married Nancy Mizell, daughter of Luke Mizell, a justice of the Peace in early Screven County, GA. They had three sons, Issac Peevy, Luke Mizell Peevy, and Guilford Peevy. Joseph and Nancy granted their sons Issac Peevy and Luke Mizell Peevy, land in Washington County, GA. Two feather beds and furniture, two bedsteads, and household furniture were also granted. Recorded May 6, 1808. Joseph and Nancy’s sons Luke Mizell and Guilford also inherited land from their grandfather Luke Mizell, who died in 1827 in Screven County, GA
Guilford Peevy
Guilford Peevy was born in 1802 or 1803 in Screven County, GA. He was the third and youngest child of Joseph Peavey and Nancy Mizell. Guilford Peevy married Dicy Moore in 1829 and had eight children. James Peevy, Henry Peevy, Patience Peevy, John Peevy, Miriam Pevey, Thomas Peevy, Augustus Peevy, and William Peevy. Guilford served in the army of The Confederate States of America entering on March 14, 1862 at Camp Davis in Effingham County, GA. He served as a Private with Company 1, 47th Georgia Infantry. He was discharged on June 24, 1863 in Montgomery, Alabama. Reason for discharge was, “old age (60 years old at the time of discharge) and general disability. He was 6 ft. tall, fair complexion, black eyes and gray hair.
James Pevy
James was the eldest son of Guilford Peevy and Dicy Moore. He was born in 1832. James Pevy married Frances Hinely, Daughter of Solomon Hinely Sr. and Hannah Elizabeth Arnsdorff on April 16, 1854 in Effingham County, GA. They had four children, Jasper James Pevy, T. (?) Pevy (Female), Newton Pevey, and John LaFayette Pevey. James Pevy enlisted in the Confederate Army. On December 12, 1863 he died in a hospital in Griffin, GA that was formerly a female academy that had been converted to a hospital by the CSA Army. James Pevy is buried in the Stonewall Jackson Confederate Cemetery in Griffin, GA. After James’ death, Frances married James O. Abbott, son of G. W. Abbott and Abigail. J. O. Abbott and Frances are buried next to each other in the Antioch Christian Cemetery, adjacent to the home of L. A. Rahn on Little McCall Road about 1 mile off GA 119, east of Guyton, GA.
John LaFayette Pevey
John was the youngest child of James Pevy and Frances Hinely. Born April 12, 1861 he married first Anna L. Farmer.After Anna’s death, John married her sister, Mary J. Farmer. After Mary’s death, John married Eula Rebecca Seckinger. John sired 12 children. James Blonk Pevey, Lester Pevey, Nettie Violet Pevey, Hampton Pevey, Tira Lulu Pevey, Phineas Tarver Pevey, Ashley Johnson Pevey, Vivian Bruce Pevey, Nute Lafate Pevey, Mary Eula Pevey, Jasper Lesley Pevey, and Bertie Mae Pevey. As of the year 2003 only Mary Eula Pevey Cavanah and Bertie Mae Pevey Barner Shearouse Edwards are still living. Aunt Mary in EC Nursing home and Aunt Bertie Mae lives on GA 17 about 2 miles north of Guyton

greg w joyner (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2005 12:52AM GMT
Thanks for the info. Much of that is familiar.I did not know the part about his size. Do you know exactly where he lived inlater years. I do know his postal address was Halciondale. Iam tring to find his burial site which may be Doubleheads. thanks, Greg

Jelane Pevey Battle (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2005 9:22PM GMT
Since we live in Guyton, and Halcyondale es only a few miles north on GA 17, we will try and drive up to Doubleheads Baptist Church and see what we can find. We have always heard that Guilford along with many other of our ancestors are interred there but many did not have permanent grave markers.

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Hagan, Beecher
Hi,
If you go up there you might want to check to see if there are any early church records. I have not been able to find any online. But I have had 2 other people that suggested that we look there for records, so it is a good place to look for him. Please let me know if you find anything, I am still plugging away at this family.
Thanks and happy hunting, Deb
thebee@arkansas.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions