Search for content in message boards

John Sheets

John Sheets

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 5:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sheets
hi looking for info on a John Sheets b abt 1816 Va married to an Irene(?) she b abt 1825 these are my ggp..my frustration lies in that the info I've retrieved only shows them in the 1860 Census...no listing or info in the 1850 or 1870...or...anywhere...anyone else experience such? and what should be my next course?....or do you have any info on either of them?...most of my ancestors are from Pa....any help would be appreciated...thanks...Jim Sheets

Re: John Sheets

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 11:36AM GMT
Surnames: SHEETS
Jim - The spelling of your guy puzzles me. I believe that all of the virginians were SHEETZ. One guy split out of that bunch in the 1700's and got ;ost in Penna ( me ). The Penna clan went through a whole lot of spelling changes and ended up as SHEETZ, but prior to abt 1820 they were SHEETS. Sounds like a small thing, but it makes a big difference. There was a SHEETZ clan in Berks Co, Pa that was not related. The SHEETS clan of Dauphin Co, PA may or may not be related to your clan. Then there was the SHEETZ clan of VA which has a lot written about it. Now - some of what I just wrote is fact and some might be fiction. I've studied it for abt 15 yrs and those are my conclusions. What I'm saying is that I don't know of any SHEETS in VA and perhaps you might be from the Dauphin Co, PA group of SCHUETZ,SHUTZ,SHITZ,SHEETS and SHEETZ ( in that order )

Bob Sheetz, Ocala, Fla

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 4:15PM GMT
Bob,

I have to disagree with you a bit. While it may be true that many if not most of the folks in Virginia who stayed in Virginia adopted a Sheetz spelling, it is also true that many of those families originally lived in Pennsylvania and have had their names rendered with a variety of spellings in the early records. I posted a few weeks ago about the Shenandoah Co., VA SHEETZ family which is an example. I have seen folks spelled SHEETS living in Ohio and Missouri in the early to mid 1800s who were from Virginia.

I have also seen records for the same person spelled ALL the ways you mention, depending upon the record.

As an example, for my own ancestor born about 1780 probably in PA but possibly in VA, d. 1840 in Ohio, I have seen his name spelled SHETZ, SHEETS, and SHEETZ, (just to name a few). I've seen his children's names misindexed as SHUTTS and SHRETS, and confused with a family named SLUTS/SLUTZ and another named SHOOTS. In many of the original records I've looked at, it is very hard to tell whether the scribe was writing SHEETS or SHEETZ as late as the 1870s.

The conclusion I have reached is that anyone researching anywhere prior to 1900, and especially 1850 and before, must consider all possible spellings and mispellings (this is standard genealogical practice, but is especially necessary with our surname).

If there is any pattern (and I'm not convinced there is), it is that the German immigrants in the 1700s from whom most of us probably descend were SCHUTZ (with an umlaut), sometimes rendered SCHUETZ. There was a period of time in the mid to late 1700s where this was written SHITZ or SHITTS, perhaps especially in PA, but that time period overlaps with SHEETS and SHEETZ which began to emerge as people moved farther west and south. Most of the people enumerated in the 1790 Census in Pennsylvania are spelled SHEETS, but those same people are often spelled SHITZ or SHEETZ in county level records written at about the same time. And their descendants ended up with a variety of spellings, including SCHEETZ. It seems to me that, with several exceptions, the closer people stayed to Philadelphia, the closer the modern spelling looks like the original (e.g. SCHEETZ). I have seen a similar pattern with other German names.

My advice to anyone researching this family is to ignore the spelling you (or your most recent SHEETS/SHEETZ etc. ancestor) carry, consider all possible spellings and mispellings when searching compiled or original records, and think about participating the in the DNA project. Otherwise, I fear we will never be able to sort out the early families.

Connie

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 5:11PM GMT
Jim,

I assume you're talking about the John and Irene Sheets family who are enumerated in Brownsville, Jefferson Twp, Fayette Co PA in 1860? Do you have any more clues you can share? For example, where did their children live, who did they marry, etc. See also my reply to Bob about the spelling variations, below.

Connie Sheets

Posted: 6 Jan 2007 12:31AM GMT
thanks Connie....yes that is the census and those are my ggp...at the time they had 6 children my gf then being the youngest William L b 2/05/1860...moved to McKeesport in 1880 and m Sarah Rupert of Westmoreland Pa in 1884...such is coroborated by "Memoirs of Allegheney county" where a brief description is writen about my gf including his parents names i.e John and Irene...according to the 1860 census their bp was listed as Va the childrens as Pa aprox bd were...Sarah1847, John 1849,George 1851, Charles 1853, Mary 1857, and William...Sarah I believe married a Lewelyn Vaughn in 1866...that surname comes up in letters my aunt(Williams daughter)wrote during his funeral. No info on the other siblings...also I have a tree of all the info I have thus far...being a newbee I'm not sure how to import it or if it will be helpful...I will try and check alternate spellings as well, thank you for that...My Father seemed to believe we were of English descent...yet it seems more German thus far...any input or clarification would be greatly appreciated ...again thank you Connie....Jim Sheets

Posted: 6 Jan 2007 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Usher, Sheets, Aston, Lehew
Hi Jim,
Irene was my GGgrandmother. I am descended through her daughter Mary Sheets Usher. As I recall, I was a bit confused about her birth place. I think there were some changes with the PA/VA borders around the time of her birth.

Anyway, Irene was born Irene Hillebrand on September 26, 1825 in Greene County, PA. Greene County is right on the PA/VA (now WV)border. She died on August 16, 1890 and is buried in Mt Auburn Cemetery, Fayette City, PA. I have a photo of her tombstone. Email me at rvstan@ev1.net and I will send you a copy...or with any other questions.

Rosemary Usher Stanley

Posted: 7 Jan 2007 1:37AM GMT
thank you very much Rosemary....I love it when the dots are connected...Mary Usher and Stewart Usher are listed as attending my gf funeral in Nov, 1916...also would you know if they had any children after 1860?...any help is appreciated....thanks again....Jim Sheets

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 2:53PM GMT
Do you have a Martin Sheets? Some records show he lived in Pennsylvania and moved to Rowan co. North Carolina in 1762 as did a George Sheets. It is belived that three brothers came to the US. from Germany and may have been German Dutch, In the 1700's the Sheets were found in German records. the name was also spelled Schaets, Scheatz, Shultz Sheetz , but pronounced "Sheets" These records were found in Wilkes County Library, NC

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 4:01AM GMT
Hi being a newbie at this my research skills are still in their infancy....I'm not sure Martin is in my line....the NC connection is a stump....most of my line is from Pa...and Va..cant seem to draw the route to Pa....nor can I rule Martin out...the dates seem to coincide and he had a son named Henry(he may be my gggf)...sorry I cant be more definitive ....am willing to share my line if interested...email likeable482000@yahoo.com....good luck....Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions