Search for content in message boards

Bridgewater State Farm

Bridgewater State Farm

Posted: 26 Mar 2005 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jun 2005 4:21PM GMT
After much searching I finally discovered a Vermont Pierce ancestor in the 1900 Census at State Farm, Bridgewater... What was the State Farm used for in 1900? poor? criminal? insane? Anybody who knows the history is invited to let me know why my ancestor would have been there...

Re: Bridgewater State Farm

Posted: 27 Mar 2005 1:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 1:56PM GMT
Hello,

When I googled it, I found this lead of information:
MSN Encarta - Archive Article - 1939: Massachusetts
... the Massachusetts Reformatory, Concord; Reformatory for Women, Framingham; State
Farm, Bridgewater; Industrial School ... State Officers. ... United States Senators. ...
encarta.msn.com/sidebar_461501378/ 1939_Massachusetts.html - 37k - Cached - Similar pages
Hope this helps,
Margaret King

Posted: 27 Mar 2005 2:45PM GMT
Thank you. I've tried internet searches also, but it really takes someone familiar with the history because its use evolved over time.

Terri Hamblin (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2005 9:59PM GMT
Hi Arthur,
My paternal grandfather worked at Bridgewater State Prison from 1932-1967 as the head guard. To answer your question, my dad is here beside me, and he says it was used for all three. The poor, criminal and insane. If you go to your web browser and type in Bridgewater State Prison and hunt around that site, you might find some interesting stories. Early stories tell of some horendously bad treatment at the facilities in the early years. The facility is now under the heading of Bridgewater State Hospital. As a child, I remember it eing called the Bridgewater State Farm. Hope this helps,
Terri Hamblin

Posted: 17 May 2005 12:03AM GMT
Thank you, that was very helpful... since that posting I received a message containing an old letter from a doctor at Bridgewater addressed to the inmate's brother briefly outlining the patient's last days, that he died "quietly."

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 10:10PM GMT
My G Grandfather was listed as living there in 1930's and it says "insane".

Posted: 15 Jun 2009 12:25PM GMT
What became the State Farm was originally one of three state almshouses. By about 1860 the inmates of the almshouses had been redistributed so that Bridgewater held the the able-bodied adults (as opposed to the infirm at Tewksbury and the children at Monson). Over the next several years Bridgewater became an almost exclusively penal institution.

When the State Farm was rebuilt after the 1883 fire it had three departments:

1) A prison for misdemeanor offences
2) An almshouse and hospital for paupers
3) A state asylum for the criminally insane.

That organization of the State Farm was still in place in 1900.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Brain, Czechowicz
My GG Grandfather Martin Brain was listed in the 1900 census as being at State Farm. How do I go about finding out why he was there and how long he was there?

Thanks for the help, Julianne

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 11:37AM GMT
> How do I go about finding out why he was there and how long
> he was there?

The records are held by the Massachusetts Department of Correction, but I see nothing on their site about obtaining records. I would suggest writing to:

Robert Murphy, Superintendent
Bridgewater State Hospital
20 Administration Road
Bridgewater, MA 02324

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 12:44PM GMT
I had a great uncle there and Bridgewater did not have the records. I was told to ask the Mass Archives. I did and they were able to tell me why he was there.

Margaret
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions