Search for content in message boards

Steel's of Ohio and Pennsylvania

Steel's of Ohio and Pennsylvania

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Steel, Steele, Dunifen, Turner
I have been searching for Lemuel STEEL b 1786 d 29 Apr 1857 buried Good Hope Cemetery, Logan, Ohio. Married Sarah b 1790 d 31 )ct 1857 buried by husband(unknown, have seen Turner and Dunifen but no proof). I do have quite a bit on their children on down but nothing on Lemuel or Sarah's siblings or parents or where they can from. I do have a note in our family things and all it says is Robert and Lemuel Steel family from Westmoreland Co. Pennsylvania. No one seems to know anymore or where this note came from.
I did find the following;

1850 United States Federal Census
about Sarah Steel
Name: Sarah Steel
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1790
Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Home in 1850(City,County,State): Perry, Hocking, Ohio
Household Members: Name Age
Eliza Steel 22 b Ohio
John Steel 64
Sarah Steel 60 b Penn

Two houses down is

James STEEL 33 b Penn
Martha Steel 24 b Ohio
Catherine Steel 12 b Ohio
Issac Steel 10 b Ohio
Elizabeth Steel 2 b Ohio

Then a couple houses down is a

James STEEL 45 b Penn
Mary SAteel 40 b Penn
Judah Steel 22 b Penn
Archibald Steel 19 b Ohio
John Steel 17 b Ohio
Elizabeth Steel 14 b Ohio
Mary Steel 11 b Ohio
James Steel 9 b Ohio
Catherine Steel 11 b Ohio
Lewis Steel 11/12 b Ohio

Since our Sarah died in 1855, this must be John's wife;

1860 United States Federal Census
about Sarah Steel
Name: Sarah Steel
Age in 1860: 68
Birth Year: abt 1792
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1860: Perry, Hocking, Ohio
Post Office: South Perry
Value of real estate: View Image
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Williamson 52 widowed
Sarah Steel 68 widowed
John Steel 21

A few homes down is

James Steel 37 B Penn
Nancy Steel 33 b Penn
Amanda J. Steel 13 b Ohio
W.W. Steel 11 b Ohio

and

James STEEL 43 b PENN
Martha Ann Steel 34 b Ohio
Catherine Steel 13 b Ohio
Alvin Steel 10 b Ohio
Melissa Steel 8 b Ohio
John Steel 6 b Ohio
Joseph Steel 3 b Ohio
Isaac N. Steel 1/12 b Ohio

I just can't help but wonder if these are connected to our Lemuel Steel but am unable to make a connection or place him in Pennsylvania.
If anyone has any suggestions or are connected to any of these please contact me at either address below.
Thanks and take care,
Darlene
darlene.poppe@adelphia.net
darlene.poppe@gmail.net

Re: Steel's of Ohio and Pennsylvania

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 8:35PM GMT
There is a Judah STEEL, age 85 in the 1850 Census with her son John and his family. I think she is the mother of most of the Steel/Steele family in Hocking Co, These are some of my son-in-law's family. John was born in Pennsylvania, but Judah was born in Virginia, Hocking Co was formed from Fairfield Co. This John Married Elizabeth CAVE probably in Ohio, his son John married Samantha Newlon/Newton

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Steel
I am researching the John Steel b(1804) Pennsylvania family and I saw the cenus in 1850 that has Judah Steel living with John Steel and his family. I noticed that it states she was born in Virginia. In a later census (1880) John lists that his parents were both from England. Could she have been a relative other than mother. I believe I am decended from James Steel (1831) son of John Steel (1804). Any other info on this family would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 10:28PM GMT
T do believe she is John's mother as he named a daughter after her, She may have came to the colonies as a very young child, But we have to determine just who her husband was before we can do any more. Hopefully my son in law will do some more searching this fall, he still lives in pickaway co and is taking over his own research, I just gave him a fairly good start as I'm not in the area any longer and he lives fairly close

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Steel
In the census you have listing a Judah Steel age 22, she is daughter of a James Steel not John. I have been searching through the Hocking County online records and there are so many John and James Steels it is hard to determine which family is which. Hopefully we will all figure this out.

Thanks anything you find will be helpful. I hope to visit there this fall also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions