Search for content in message boards

SEARCH FOR C. MEEKING & CO., LONDON

SEARCH FOR C. MEEKING & CO., LONDON

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 1:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I own a piece of furniture, with an oval, 1-inch copper-made tag hammered inside a drawer, bearing the name of C. Meeking & Co, London. This item was purchased in Australia, and is probably 80 to 150 years old. The only mention I could find anywhere is by one of rootsweb subscribers (in AD 2000), and relates to an Alfred Brown & Sons Ltd (Charles Meeking & Co), wholesale and retail woollen drapers and tailors' trimmings warehousemen, 7-8 Holborn Circus and 111 & 112 Hatton Garden, circa AD 1891.
I rather believe that, in my specific case, it could be either a shipping company, or a furniture maker.
Would anyone have a clue ? Many thanks.

Re: SEARCH FOR C. MEEKING & CO., LONDON

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Meeks
Hi
PO London Directory 1882
Meeking Charles & Co
Family linendrapers & furnishing warehousemen; household drapery & linens, silks, dress materials & costumes, mantles & shawls, furs, hosiery & gloves, lace, ladies' underclothing, parasols, haberdashery, curtain damasks & cretonnes, carpets, cabinet furniture Holborn Circus EC

Meeking Charles & Co
Wholesale & retail woollen drapers & tailors' trimming warehousemen, 111 & 112 Hatton Garden EC & 8 Holborn Circus.

On the A2A I found mention of Charles Meeks having insurance from as early as 1827....
Charles Meeking 62 Holborn Hill linen draper, silk mercer, haberdasher & hosier
he progressed to carpets also by 1828.

Regards
Tania

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 6:15PM GMT
Many thanks, that was very kind of you, Tania, and you seem rather more gifted than I at finding relevant answers ! I would guess from the description that this company, as far as its furniture business is concerned, was more of a retailer than a manufacturer: which probably leaves a shroud of mystery on the identity of the actual maker !

If I may, could you tell me which search engine you are using ?

Kind regards

Philippe

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Meeking

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 3:02PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Jun 2009 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: KELK, WEST
My great grandfather, William Coates Kelk, who came to Australia in 1866, wrote an 'autobiography' when he was in his 90s in which he stated:

"My father [of Burgh le Marsh, Lincolnshire] was .... sent to London to learn the trade of a Linen Draper. He was for some years employed by the firm of Charles Meeking of Holborn hill. In 1838, at Lincoln or Boston, he married my mother whose maiden name was Jane West. "

WCK conducted a linen and drapery business at Bathurst in NSW from 1868 to 1900 and died in 1930.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:13AM GMT
Liz,

Talk about a small world. I was researching Charles Meeking & Co and came across your post. My GG Grandmother Hannah Debatin also worked at Meekings (according to ad in Bathurst newspaper c1888 when she joined John Meagher & Co Bathurst to start their dressmaking department). She was married to Raymond Debatin, tailor, Howick Street (1887-1890), he took over Allans Tailors. Search Trove using "Debatin Bathurst" to see relevant articles.

Paul Kelly ex LIC

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 2:09PM GMT
I am reading a book "Reminiscences of 75 years of my life" written in 1923 (and published in St Louis) by my great grandfather's brother - Alexander Penny. Born in 1845 he trained in a draper's store in Peterhead, Scotland in 1859. In 1866 he moved to London and went to C Meeking's at the corner of Hatton Garden and Holborn Hill - he was hired "on the spot" and stayed there for 4 years. He lived above the shop and in his books gives vivid descriptions of the store and the Hyde Park Riots of 1866. His salary was £30 pounds in his first year with bed and board.

Norman Penny
per page

Find a board about a specific topic