Search for content in message boards

Wampanoag 1870 Census Roll

Wampanoag 1870 Census Roll

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Census
Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the Wampanoag 1870 Census Roll compiled by Richard L. Pease

Re: Wampanoag 1870 Census Roll

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Query

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 11:27AM GMT
Has anyone seen this roll? Where can you find it? I Googled it & got that the tribes membership is closed due to recognition pending. I just want to see it for my own sake & my daughter/grandson sister, etc....

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 3:14PM GMT
I agree with you. It is important to know your heritage. I looked at the links suggested.I couldn't find the census.
I will keep looking though.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:20PM GMT
http://www.blackindiansunited5tribesembassy.org/-New-Massach...

Surname of Wampanoags In The Earle Report
(Indicates Tribal Ethnicity)
1860 Indian Census Massachusetts-Surnames
Gay Head (Aquinnah)Wampanoag-Mashpee Tribes
Mixed-Foreign Colored-Indians

This Census was conducted at the behest of Massachusetts Legislature, transcript: Gay Head Tribe in Mass. Senate No. 96 publication, March 1861
(Ethnic Tribal Band)

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:45AM GMT
Here are the list of names you are looking for.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~history/graf...

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: Covel,Ross,Brown
Thank you all. I read the list of surnames in both census sites. Lots of Browns, one Ross, and no Covells. I am trying to trace back to American Indian ancestry. All I really have so far is oral history from the Covell Family. Would love some documentation of an early Covel on Martha's Vineyard, Dukes County, Mass marriage to a Wampanoag woman.

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:41AM GMT
Hello,

I am also tracing my Native American ancestry and have followed the link that you provided. I have two names that match my charts that my father has done which are COBB and TAYLOR of Yarmouth Tribe. What is my next step???

Posted: 2 Mar 2015 2:39PM GMT
My ancestry goes back to James Covell, also, and my Mother who is deceased, had told us when we were kids, that we had Native American ancestry. My DNA doesn't confirm this, but that could be because the line of DNA from this family member isn't related to other Indian DNA comparisons. So, my thought is that if my DNA matches other people who have had the same story told to them about their Indian ancestry, and have common ancestors of James Covell or other Indians on Martha's Vineyard, then the Native American ancestry would probably be true. Just wondering. Thanks, Nikki.

Posted: 2 Mar 2015 2:45PM GMT
Hi, another thought about this, is that with the original census having been hand written, the T 's in the name listed as"Covett', in the printed version, could be a misunderstanding of the fancy L's written at the time of the census. If there was a way to connect the DNA of us related to James Covell, to relations to the Covett's, then we might be able figure it out-especially if the Covett ancestors of today, trace back to Native Americans.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic