Search for content in message boards

BREEDENS AND SNOWS IN GREENE COUNTY

BREEDENS AND SNOWS IN GREENE COUNTY

LEO BREEDEN (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2006 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2006 12:08PM GMT
Surnames: SNOW, BREEDEN
ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. GREENFIELD SNOW WAS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER AND JOSEPH NEWTON BREEDEN ALSO WAS

Re: BREEDENS AND SNOWS IN GREENE COUNTY

Posted: 4 Aug 2006 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Breeden, Snow
Could you please give me the names of your grandmothers as well as an approximate time in which Greenfield Snow and Joseph Breeden were born. I would be willing to search for information for you, but the additional info would be helpful.

LEO BREEDEN (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2006 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2006 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: breeden, cross, powell
Oliver Leo Breeden direct line of descendents on Breeden side
1. Thomas Breeding born 1649 in Scotland
2. Richard Breeding born 1698 died 1733 in Culpeper County Virginia, married Eleanor Cross born 1701 in Culpeper Virginia . Marriage took place 1731 in Culpeper VA. She died 1753 in Culpeper Va.
3.Abner Breeding born 1734 in Culpeper Virginia, died 1790 Orange Virginia, married Ruth Powell born 1740 in Culpeper Va. Married 1767 in Culpeper Va died 1805 in Orange Va.
4. Ezekiel Fields Breeden born 1775 in Orange Va. Died 1820 wife unknown
5. Abraham Breeding born 1815 death unknown married Elizabeth? Born 1812 in Va
6.Joseph Newton Breeden born march 5 1838 in Greene County Va. Served in civil war with Confederate States of America Company D 34th Virginia infantry, was captured at battle of Petersburg, sent to Point Lookout Maryland and then to Elmira New York where he was one of the last to take the oath of allegiance upon release he came back to Standardsville Virginia in Greene County. He was married to Mary Ophelia Jarrell August 19, 1860 in Madison county Virginia. She was born April 1840 in Greene county Virginia. Death date and place unknown. Joseph Newton Breeden died from a fall April 10, 1919 in Greene county Virginia and is buried in the mission mountain graveyard near Standardsville Virginia. There were 11 children born in this family.
7.Charles Breeden was the 7th child of the 11 and was born September 1868 in Greene county Virginia. He married Catherine Downey who was born in 1862 on august 29 1892 in Rockingham county Virginia. I was told they had two children but am only able to verify Dorothy Breeden born September 5 1894. I was told this marriage ended in adultery on the part of Catherine and Charles spent a year in prison as he assaulted the man she had the affair with. This was verified by court records in Greene county Virginia. He then married his second wife Annie Elizabeth snow [bet] who was born may 1882 in Greene county Virginia. They were married Feb. 21, 1901 in Greene county Virginia. There were 9 children born of this marriage. Charles died of complications from diabetes after having one leg amputated in 1953. Elizabeth died November 8, 1960 from Alzheimer’s. Both Charles and Elizabeth are buried in the Breeden cemetery in Standardsville, Greene county Virginia.
ame: Annie Elizabeth 'Bettie' Snow 1
Sex: F
Birth: MAY 1882 in Greene Co, Va
Death: 1960
Burial: Breeden Graveyard, Rt 622, Greene County Virginia
Reference Number: 2846

Father: Greenfield 'Greenville' Snow b: 12 JAN 1852 in Greene Co., Va
Mother: Sarah Catherine Lamb b: MAR 1855 in Greene Co., Va

Marriage 1 Charles Breeden b: SEP 1868 in Greene Co, Va
Married: 21 FEB 1901 in Greene Co, Va 2
Children
Frances "Fannie" Mae Breeden b: 1899 in Virginia (Prob Rockingham County)
Ophelia May Breeden b: ABT 1903
Hattie Mae Breeden b: 25 AUG 1905
Mary 'Byrd' Lillian Breeden b: ABT 1909 in Virginia
Roy Allen Breeden b: 1912
Lena May Breeden b: 1918
Oliver Leo Breeden b: 1925 in Greene Co., Va

ID: I00751
Name: Greenfield 'Greenville' Snow
Sex: M
Birth: 12 JAN 1852 in Greene Co., Va
Death: AFT 1920
Reference Number: 751
Note:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Bp Mother's Birthplace
Greenfield SNOW Self M Male W 27 VA Laborer VA VA
Sarah C. SNOW Wife M Female W 24 VA Keeping House VA VA
John R. SNOW Son S Male W 9 VA VA VA
James A. SNOW Son S Male W 6 VA VA VA
Joe D. SNOW Son S Male W 4 VA VA VA
Mary E. SNOW Dau S Female W 2 VA VA VA

Marie Conley (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2006 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Breeden, Snow
I will be going to the library next week to do look ups in the Greene County Record. Do you wish for me to look up any obituaries? Do you have a subscription to Ancestry.com? Again this would be helpful so I don't do work that has already been done! May I ask what state you live in? I am here in Charlottesville, Virginia so I have easy access to a great deal of records. Will be going to Greene County next week as well for more look ups at the clerk's office.
Marie

LEO BREEDEN (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2006 8:02PM GMT
I appreciate any help. I live in Fredericksburg Va. Are you a relative? I have been to the courthouse in Standardsville a long time ago. I am now disabled and don't travel long distances and my finances do not let me go either

Terri Pitt (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2006 12:08PM GMT
Surnames: MORRIS
Hi, Marie,
I'm writing you under this subject as I read you would be going to a library to do look-ups in the Greene County Record. I have been looking for my great grandparents death records for some time now. The problem: so many Morris' in Greene County, VA, a good guess is all I have come up with. My great grandfather was John Miley Morris born about 1848 and died (an educated guess) between 1895 and 1900. He married Jane Marie Morris on March 15, 1878 in Greene County, VA. Jane died about 1917. Their last child was born in January, 1896 in Monroe District, Greene County, VA, where I find the family on the 1850, 1860, and 1870 census. I find Jane with the remainder of the children in 1900, and 1910, but no John.

I live in Chicago and am in the process of giong through records of the LDS at their center, but still do not see these great grandparents. If you would be so kind as to look I would be so grateful.

Thanks,
Terri

Re: Morris Family Greene Cty VA

Marie Conley (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2006 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Morris
Terri,
I would be more than happy to see what I can find for you. I will keep you posted as to any information that I can obtain.
Regards,
Marie

Leo Breeden (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2006 8:35PM GMT
Terri, My next door neighbor was Howard Morris whose family lived in Greene County. He is now deceased. but when he was living he made trips to Greene County with me. There are a number of Morris people mentioned in my Snow tree. Let me know some names and I will see if they are there

Posted: 6 Aug 2006 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2006 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: MORRIS, KNIGHT, SHIFFLETT, DOWNEY
Hi, Leo,

I went to Greene County, Monroe District (which is supposed to be the Dyke area) two years ago and there were so many Morris' I got very lost as to what I wanted to know. My great grandfather, John Miley Morris, was born abt. 1848 in VA and died between 1895 and 1900. John married Jane Marie Morris on March 15, 1878 in Greene County, Va. Jane died abt. 1917. Originally I was looking for the cemetery where they were buried, but I ended up at what I thought was a dead end street in Dyke. I find out later that I should have gone further because there are three cemeteries up on the side of a mountain.

John Miley Morris and Jane Marie Morris' children:
1.Clinton Morris b. Nov 1878; d. Aft. 1968
Married Lilly
2. Clarlotte (Lottie) Morris b. Nov 1879 in Greene County, VA; d. March 1974 in Swoope, Augusta County, VA; she married James Ernest Knight, Sr.
3. Robert S. Morris b. 1883 in VA
4. Jeanetta (Nettie) Morris b. May 18, 1884; d. March 26, 1968 in Elkton, Rockingham County, VA; she married William Robert Shifflett on Aug 24, 1916 in Rockingham County, VA.
5. Lula A. Morris b. Mar 1887 in Monroe District, Greene County, VA (we don't know who her husband was, but she had three children.
6. Ada Clinbell Morris b. Aug 10, 1889 in Monroe District, Greene County, VA, d. July 6, 1981 Staunton, Augusta County, VA; she married John Amos Downey on Apr 10, 1910 in Staunton, Augusta County, VA.
7. Josephine (Josie) Morris b. Nov 15, 1892 in VA; d. April 15, 1972 in Craigsville, Augusta County, VA. She married Robert Edward Morris.
8. Lessie F. Morris b. Jan 1896 in VA. She married George Morris.

I would appreciate any information you might have on this family as I am pretty I have more Morris' marrying Morris' than is legally allowable. I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Terri

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 5:27PM GMT
Leo,

From my research on the history of Greene County, census research and additional sources, I have discovered that Newt Breeden and Greenfield Snow both lived a part of their lives up in what is now Shenandoah National Park (the Pocosin area). In the 1920s, Greenfield was living in a cabin with his son Charlie, not far from Skyline Drive and close to the current PATC Posocin Cabin.

Are you related to either Charlie Breeden (b. circa 1866), Ella Breeden Shifflett, or Preston Breeden (b. circa 1917)?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions