GATELY of North Carolina/Tennessee

Debra Bumpus~Brown (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2004 10:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking contacts for the following GATELY family:
JOHN GATELY sr. a farmer
b.1768 Orange Co. NC of WILLIAM GATELY
d.1805 Person Co. NC 37 yrs.
m. Jemima "Mime" Merser (Messer) (b. 1769-70 of James)
chldn:
JOHN GATELY jr. b. @1788
SUSAN GATELY b. 1791 Caswell Co. NC
NANCY GATELY b. @1793 Caswell Co. NC
SALLY SARAH GATELY b.@1794 NC
JAMES MERCER GATELY b.@1798NC
LUCRETIA GATELY b.@1803 NC m.Wm.BILLY THETFORD (Thedford/Tedford) on May 1820 Madison Co. TN.
POLLY GATELY b.@1804
PHOEBE GATELY b.30 Jan 1806 Madison Co. TN

Am seeking infor. on any of the above, particularly JOHN and father WILLIAM GATELY and, though the surname is Irish, confirmation on whether or not this family was whole or part CHEROKEE.
Any infor. greatly appreciated.
Debra

Re: GATELY of North Carolina/Tennessee

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 2:20PM GMT
Debra,I am responding to a posting of yours from back in Dec 04 ref: Gately family. One of my Cornelius ancestors, Madison Cornelius, b.in the early 1800's in S.C., married America Gately. A relative of mine told me a number of years ago that a Cornelius had married a Cherokee Indian named Gately. He also told me that they had moved from S.C. to Rome,Ga., then on to Oneota, Al. Do you happen to have any information on America Gately in your family records? I was also told that the name Gately is found amoung the Cherokee Indians in Cherokee,N.C. I would appreciate any info that you might have. thanks, John Cornelius

Posted: 4 Jun 2009 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Gately, Mercer
Debra, I am responding to your post of 2004 on Gately of N. Caro. and Tenn. Though Gately is not my direct line, I have some information on them. John Gately's wife, Jemima (Mime) Mercer, I believe (with no strong proof) is the sister of my John Mercer who was married to Lucretia Johnston and they both died in Caldwell Co., Ky. While doing research on the Mercer line I ran across an article in a No. Carolina newspaper that recounts the trial of James Mercer, Jemima's father, when he was tried for killing his son in law, John Gately. It's fascinating and if you don't have it, I'd be happy to share a copy with you. You can email me directly at MarthaClark@stx.rr.com. Let me know. Martha

Posted: 4 Jun 2009 11:08PM GMT
Deb, After my last post, I seem to remember corresponding with you in the past about the article. If so, I apologize. I haven't done research in about six years and so have forgotten a lot of stuff. :-)

Martha

Posted: 5 Jun 2009 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Gately, Merser, Messer, Bumpus, Thetford, Longaker
Hi Martha,
I also am just renewing my research into this family line after putting it aside for some time.
Do you still have the newspaper report on the trial? If so, I'd love a copy. this week will be really busy at the ranch (I'm down in Mexico at present) but I'll try to pull my files and refresh my memory on this line. Let me know if you need any further infor. I can help you with.
regards,
Debra

Posted: 5 Jun 2009 8:15PM GMT
Debra, i'll be happy to send you a copy. I think I have your address, but just in case could you email it to me.

marthaclark@stx.rr.com

I'll have to pull my files also, so it may take me a few days.

Martha

Posted: 6 Jun 2009 1:01AM GMT
hi martha,
please email me directly at seaweedcowgirl@hotmail.com
thanks so much
debra

Posted: 6 Jun 2009 5:37AM GMT
John,
I am checking my files to see if I have any infor. which may be helpful to you.
debra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions