Search for content in message boards

Capt Richard Bradey Sr, Paymaster, Wilmington, N.C.

Capt Richard Bradey Sr, Paymaster, Wilmington, N.C.

J.A.L.Miller, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bradley, Sharpless, Ashbridge, Yonge
Seek fellow descs. of Wilmington, N.C., Continental Line, paymaster Capt. Richard Bradley, Sr., who wed Elizabeth Ashbridge Sharpless. I desc. there son Richard Bradley, Jr., who wed second, Eliza Claudia Yomge. Jim

Re: Capt Richard Bradey Sr, Paymaster, Wilmington, N.C.

Connie Beebe/Bradley (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2002 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: Bradley
What do you have for children's names for Richard Jr., and do you know his first wife's name?

Re: Richard Bradey Jr's Children:

Posted: 26 May 2007 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley, Green, Bishop, Hill, Everett, Yonge, Mackenzie, Woodward, Eells, Wingate, Williams,
Officer of the Bank of Cape Fear, Richard Bradley, Jr., 1769-1834, and first wife Rebecca Green, bc1770-dp1805 (daughter of Samuel & Rebbecca (widow Mrs. Bishop) Green, III) had:
1st, Eliza Rebecca Bradley, 1800-1866, wed 1817, John "Banks" Hill, M.D. (Dr. Hill buried "Orton Plantation", west bank, lower Cape Fear River; officer Bank of Cape Fear.
2nd, Dr. John Bradley, 1802-1842, wed Sarah Everett.
3rd Thomas Bradley, bc1804-dInfant.

By second wife Eliza Claudia Yonge, 1758-1830 (daughter of Loyalist Capt. Philip Yonge 1754-1782, H.M. Surveyor-General of Georgia, and Christian Mackenzie, daughter of Capt. Wm. Mackenzie, in 1775, H.M. Comptroller & Collector of Customs, Sunbury, Georgia; brother of George, Third Earl Cromartie, of Cromarty, Scotland) Richard Bradley, Jr., had:
1st, Christian Bradley, 1806-1885, wed Rev, Wm. Woodward Eells.
2nd, Mary Bradley, 1809-1859, wed Edward H. Wingate.
3rd, Richard Bradley, III, 1811-1892, wed Sarah Jane Williams.
4th, Henry Wm. Bradley, 1813-1891, wed Betsy Euphemia Cutlar; to 1850's San Francisco, co-founded photo firm of Messrs. Bradley & Rolufson; built SFO's first "sky scraper", five stories.
5th, James A. Bradley, 1814-1894; I am to be buried in his lot, Oakdale Cemetery, Wilmington, N.C. (likely this is the bachelor Bradley my 96 years-old aunt, Mrs. Amoret Cameron Wootten Davis, said that when she was a little girl, he would go with the family to the Carolina Yatch Club, Wrightsville Beach, and pay them a penny for each scallop shell of ocean water they brought him on the porch, to relieve the pain from his blind eyes? Richard Bradley, Jr., was the first commodore of the club.
6th, Charles Wright Bradley, 1816-1898, never married.
7th, Philip Edward Bradley, 1818-1848, never married.
8th, Lucy Anna Bradley, 1819-1898, second wife of Steven Jewett, IV, of Maine; 1838 U.S. postmaster Smithville (Southport), N.C.; then officer of the Bank of Wilmington. He is buried at the Richard Bradley, Jr., former summer home on Bradley's Creek, since the Civil War called "Airlie Gardens".
9th, 1821-1871, wed Eliza Frances Lippit. I believe his Oakdale Cemetery lot adjoins James A. Bradley's.

Re: Richard Bradey Jr's Children, con't:

Posted: 26 May 2007 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Lippitt, Wooten, Wootten, Jewett, Owen,
Twice this thing has wiped out my long entry without notice:
9th, Alfred Owen Bradley, M.D., 1821-1871, wed Eliza Frances Lippitt. I believe his Oakdale Cemetery lot, Wilmington, adjoins James A. Bradley's lot, where I and wife Deborah D. Arnold, are to be interred. I descend Mrs. Lucy Anna Bradley Jewett's daughter, Mrs. Eliza Yonge Jewett Wooten/Wootten; second wife of Episcopal Rev. Edward Wooten/Wootten, Sgt., Lt., Capt., CSA; by their son, Edward Yonge Wootten.

Re: Richard Bradey Jr's Children:

Posted: 28 May 2007 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley
Thanks for the reply. However, the Richard I am looking for died in 1827, and I am looking for a connection between Richard and a son named Isaac.

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: BRADLEY, SHARPLESS
From DAR Index:
BRADLEY, RICHARD Ancestor #: A013543
Service: NORTH CAROLINA Rank(s): PATRIOTIC SERVICE, PAYMASTER
Birth: 1734 ENGLAND
Death: 1782 WILMINGTON NEW HANOVER CO NORTH CAROLINA Service Source: CLARK, ST RECS OF NC , VOL XIX, P367; MCEACHERN & WILLIAMS, WILMINGTON-NEW HANOVER SAFETY COMM MIN'S 1774-1776 P122
Service Description: 1) 1ST REGT; COMM TO VALUE HOUSES, COMMISSIONER OF CONFISCATED PROPERTY
Residence 1) WILMINGTON - NEW HANOVER CO - NORTH CAROLINA
SpouseNumber Name 1)SHARPLESS ELIZABETH ASHBRIDGE

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Bradley, Boutilier
I am the grandson of Richard Bradley VI who was a direct descendant of Richard Bradley Sr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic