Search for content in message boards

Lewis Henry Jones, 1836 - 1901. Married to Elizabeth Betsey Jones

Lewis Henry Jones, 1836 - 1901. Married to Elizabeth Betsey Jones

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Woodley or Woodlief
Researching my great grandfather Lewis Henry Jones born in 1836. In the 1850 Census, there is a Lewis Jones age 14 in the home of Daniel and Betsy Jones, and a Lewis H. Jones age 14 in the home of Jesse R Temples. Trying to establish if Daniel and Betsy Jones are my great, great grandparents, and if so, who their parents are.

Lewis H. Jones married Elizabeth Betsey Jones. There is a NC marriage bond between Lewis H. Jones and Elizabeth Woodley with a marriage date of 13 Jan 1858. However my family bible has his wife as Elizabeth Woodlief. So trying to determine if Lewis' wife's name was Woodley or Woodlief.

If you have any info on this Jones family in Franklin County I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Steve Jones

Re: Lewis Henry Jones, 1836 - 1901. Married to Elizabeth Betsey Jones

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 10:34PM GMT
I'm not researching this family myself, but I think you can answer at least some of your questions about Elizabeth by looking at the 1850 Census.
In 1850 Franklin Co., NC, H/H #575, there is ELIZABETH WOODLY age 21, living with the family of OWEN & SARAH DAVIS. A look at the Granville Co. NC marriages shows that OWEN DAVIS married SARAH W. SMITH with a marriage bond dated January 23, 1833.

There were mostly WOODLIEFs in Franklin & Granville Counties, but there was also an occasional WOODLEY. You might want to check further for Elizabeth's family in Granville since there seems to have been a tie in with that County for the family.

Deloris Williams

Posted: 7 Feb 2014 2:01AM GMT
Not researching this family but there is a death certificate for a Geo. W. Jones born dec 6th 1858. wife listed as penola fuller jones. parents are listed as Louis H Jones and Elizabeth w. Woodlief both born in Franklln county.

Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:13PM GMT
Thanks Deloris, I'll take a good look at this.

Steve

Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:14PM GMT
Thank you Linda, I'll look into this.

Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic