Search for content in message boards

Gilley Family cemetery- Wilson County

Gilley Family cemetery- Wilson County

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to find the location of the Gilley Family cemetery in Wilson County. I have family there and I know it small and not much info on the internet. I would like to visit the site for pics.It may be on private property and if any one knows the name of the folks I need to contact would be helpful. My family would be the Grounds, Ritcheys, Donahos, and Drydens, all from the Calaveras area. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
L

Re: Gilley Family cemetery- Wilson County

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 1:34AM GMT
According to the Texas Historical Commission website, the Gilley Family Cemetery is "10 miles north of Floresville off Hwy 181 in the new Eagle Creek Subdivision. 2 miles east of Calavares." The comments section says: "It has around 20 gravesites. It is covered with weeds and cactus."

I hope this gives you a start.

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 4:07AM GMT
I appreciate the response. I found the ten mile directions on a web search. It seems the local elementary school did a project on it and there are even pictures posted on the internet. I have driven 181 numerous times and have stopped everywhere I thought it could possibly be but I haven't found it yet. It has to be back away from 181 from the pictures posted. There does not appear to be any hiway or traffic in any of the pictures. It looks like it is on a ranch with a possible white mobile home next door. I don't know about how far Calaveras is from 181 but it seems like the road sign said one mile. The cemetery maybe farther away from 181 than I thought. But I definitely appreciate your looking for me. Thanks again.

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 5:42AM GMT

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 2:05AM GMT
I've seen the web page. It is from a project by the elementary school in Floresville. I emailed Melissa at the school and she said that the project was done years ago and the students and the person in charge of the project are no longer at the school. They also have posted pictures of the site but so far, no body seems to know the exact location. The best I have so far is about 1 mile east of 181 and somewhere between hwy 775 and 1604...and that's a lot of acres to cover. Thanks for the link.
L

Posted: 24 Nov 2008 3:51PM GMT
In "the Roads of Texas" book by Texas Country Reporter on page 143 top right hand corner there is an a cemetery with no name listed. I do not know if this is the Gilley or not because it is in Bexar County not Wilson; it is right across the line from Wilson Co. though. At 181 & 1604 it looks like you take Laverna Rd to Kosub Lane, it looks to be at the end of Kosub Lane. This book shows seveal un-named cemeteries in Wilson Co. (un-named in the book may have names just not in the book) but none near Floresville. Hope this helps and you find the cemetery before it gets lost like the Brite Cemetery that was near Poteet.
Katy

Posted: 30 Nov 2008 5:15PM GMT
I went out to Kosub Lane, got to talk to a gentleman out there. There is no cemetery that is unmarked at the end of Kosub Lane. There is one at the beginning but it is a fairly new hispanic cemetery. I appreciate the lead anyway as I got to talk with a local of 50+ years for that area. I also covered the ground out Cimarron and just about everything north of there. From the pics on the school website, I have it narrowed down to somewhere in the north part or just north of the Eagle Creek Sub. just like was suggested earlier. That's where I'll be searching if someone doesn't come back with exact directions.
Katy, I'm assuming you are talking about the Brite cemetery that was on the old Eichman place on Eichman Lane. The headstones, as such, were wood and not readable any more. From the Eichman family, the folks buried there were from the close area and had no funds for a burial plot. The names were lost many years ago. I remember only seeing about 5-6 of the wooden headstones and they were covered up by brush. This is one reason why I want to find the Gilley Cemetery. I don't want someone coming in and bulldozing my ancestors into oblivian.
Thanks for the help.

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 3:25AM GMT
This post is for anyone looking for the Gilley Family Cemetery. The cemetery is located on land behind the Oak Hill Community Church just north of Hwy 775 on Hwy 181. The land is reserved as a cemetery and cannot not be destroyed or removed and is platted as Section 2a, Lot 287a. You can access the cemetery thru the church property or there is an easement to the cemetery on the west side of the second house. Look for an angled fence from Eagle Ranch Road that runs to the corner of the cemetery- that is a 30' wide easement. The folks that own the property adjoining it have been cutting it and if you go out there, kindly respect them by not driving on the yard- please walk. There are numerous families involved in this cemetery, Drydens, Grounds, Adams, and Gilleys and possibly more as some graves do not have headstones. Hopefully this information has value to someone else that is related. For pics of the graves and names of the known buried there, go here:
http://www.floresville.isd.tenet.edu/elementary/fes/cyberfai...

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 3:39PM GMT
Glad you found it. Thank you so much for posting the details for other researchers.

Nan, Wilson Co. board admin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions