Search for content in message boards

Co. Clare Lougherys

Co. Clare Lougherys

Posted: 24 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Apr 2004 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry
Looking for information on the Loughery family from Inchicronin Parish, County Clare.

Surname: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry

Maurice Hanrahan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Jim

A Con Loughery came from Inchicronin to Victoria, Australia in 1853. He arrived on a ship called the Miles Barton along with a Hanrahan (my gggrandfather), a Powell and a few others. I have a copy of a letter written by a Thomas O'Neill from Scalpnagown mentioning him on the gold diggings in Victorian and that he came from the town of Ballinruan. I have not heard anything further of him since. There is a book written titled "The parish of Inchicronin" by Thomas Coffey which is well worth a read. In it is included a copy of the Griffiths valuation of the parish.

I trust this is of use

regards

Maurice Hanrahan
Melbourne, Australia

Surname: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry

Posted: 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Posted: 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2004 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry
Maurice ...

Thanks for the information re Con Loughery. I wonder if the letter you cited was dated. My great grandfather, Con Loughery, married Sarah Kough about 1858. He may have been in Victoria and then returned to Ireland. Any possibility, that the ship, Miles Barton, was a convict ship?

Again thanks for the information!

Regards,

Jim Cagney

Re: Surname: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry

Posted: 17 Mar 2002 5:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Oneill
Hi Maurice,
I am very interested in your email to Jim Cagney.
The reason is that you mention a Thomas O'Neill from Scalpnagown and that you have a copy of a letter from him.
My husbands ggggrandfatner is Thomas Oneill from Scalpnagowan and I would love a copy of the letter.Now you are Maurice Hanrahan . Where do your ancestors come from?
Mary Oneill one of Thomas' daughters from Sclapnagown married a John Moloney in 1864.One of their daughters married a Michael Hanrahan(born 1891) in 1923. Most of their children were born in New York but one Denis Gerard Hanrahan was born in Tulla Clare.
Does this mean anything to you

Dianne Fitzgerald

Posted: 30 Mar 2002 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, O'Neill
Dianne

instead of a delay in faxing a letter, below is the letter transcribed.

Scalpnagoon, January 1855

Dear Ellen

I now take the favourable opportunity of writing those few lines to you hoping find you in good health as this leaves me and all the family in at present thanks be to God for his kind mercy to us all.

Dear Ellen, your mother wrote to you about the beginning of October last and stated in her letter the manner in which she had spent the three forgoing months but she got no answer. During which time she suffered much while we tried every remedy we could to relieve her pain. But alas it was death that eased her pain. Dear Ellen your dear and beloved mother departed this life on 9th of Dec. May God almighty have mercy on her soul.

Dear Ellen her death is a sore thing to us and we are very sorry it if we could it but we must have welcome for the will of God.
I would like to let you know that your sister Mary has a notion of going to Australia and Id like that you should be with her if you dont like your situation in America and if you were to come home ye could go for one pound each in the free emigration as your uncle Daniel & wife did and are doing mighty well. Michael Hanrahan, John Keehan of our native village, Conner Loughery of Ballinruan and many others of the neighbourhood have went out and are sending home lots of money - Micxhael Hanrahan 500 sent in the course of six months, in fact it is the best country for earning on the face of the earth and it would gratify me very much if you and your sister was there together.

Dear Ellen We would be living comfortable now had not the death of your mother taken place. I would like to let you know that she was buried in Tulla decently. Write to me as soon as possible. No more at present from your affectionate father.

Thomas O'Neill

Regarding your other infromation yes it does make sense (except that from the info I have, you missed a generation). To provide you with some background info, the majority of my information (including the above letter) came from a Reverand Michael Hanrahan (RIP), who was a brother to the Denis you mentioned (also a priest).

Rev Michael indicated that the Mary O'Neill mentioned in the letter married John Moloney and settled down in Tulla, and raised a family all of whom went to New Zealand except for Denis (his grandfather), b 16/9/1865 and d 4/6/1947 (both at Tulla). He married Mary Anne McGrath (b1860, d 1940) and had a daughter Delia (b 1897, d 1986) - Delia married Michael Hanrahan in 1923 in Brooklyn. - Her husband, Michael died in 1935 from a heart attack in Limerick (he left Ireland in 1912 and returned in 1934) -they had 8 children all born in Brookly except Denis. - Anne (a sister) married Tom Reidy and they live in Main Street Tulla.

In terms of where I fit in, The Michael Hanrahan in the above letter,is my gg grandfather. He stayed in Victoria, Australia and settled. I am of the view that he came from Scalpnagown. His brother, I believe, but yet to confirm 100% was Patrick Hanrahan, who was gg grandfather of Rev Michael.

Any further info from you would be most welcome. Rev Michael provided a shareware family history program, relating to his family (is quite extensive). I will endevour to provide you with a copy

kind regards

Maurice Hanrahan
Melbourne, Australia

Posted: 8 Jun 2008 5:46AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill Muloney
Hi got a Thomas O'Neill of around Tulla, married to an Ann Mullonny (Moloney) their son Henry died in Australia he was born about 1827, but gives Limerick more than Tulla for his birthplace.

Posted: 8 Jun 2008 5:47AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill Muloney
Hi got a Thomas O'Neill of around Tulla, married to an Ann Mullonny (Moloney) their son Henry died in Australia he was born about 1827, but gives Limerick more than Tulla for his birthplace.
Please reply to
whitehead_colin@hotmail.com

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 9:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan Powell
Hi Maurice,
I am interested in your GGgrandfather Michael Hanrahan.
You mention you think he had a brother Patrick.
I have an ancestor called Margaret Hanrahan (1836 Clare).
Her brother Michael Hanrahan was known as Captain of the Pikeman in the Eureka Stockade.
I have their siblings as
John, Bridget, Maura, PATRICK and Thomas.
Margaret married Daniel Powell.
Their son Cornelius was my Ggrandfather.
Does this sound like a match?
Regards Kelly, Brisbane

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 9:15AM GMT
Maurice,
The Thomas O'Neill who wrote this letter is my ggggrandfather. He was writing to his daughter Ellen Bridget Welsh nee O'Neill who lived in Philadelphia. My mother is in possession of this original and several others written by Thomas, his daughter Mary O'Neill Molony and son Thaddeus O'Neill. She gave a copy to Fr. Mick Hanrahan and to the Clare Heritage Center.

Julie Lopez
Dallas, TX
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions