Search for content in message boards

Bridges in 1850 Carroll county Tn.

Bridges in 1850 Carroll county Tn.

Patty (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2004 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bridges, Sawyers, Richardson, Edwards, Shaffar, Gilman
I have a George Bridges in 1850 Carroll county, Tn. Brother is Thomas 9, sisters are, Mary 6, and Sarah F. is 2. There is a Wm. Crop or Cross living with them. Parents are George W. Bridges and Sarah.
Would like to find someone who has this family to exchange information with.

Re: Bridges in 1850 Carroll county Tn.

Posted: 3 Dec 2008 9:11AM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2013 11:20PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges Page Harris
Hi, Patty.

My 2-great grandfather, John Harvey Bridges was born in 1843 in Carroll Co, TN and lived there until he joined the Confederate Army.

John Harvey Bridges' siblings were Francis (WFP?), James A, Lucy Jane, and Larkin.

The 1850 Carroll Co, TN Federal Census shows John H Bridges living with siblings Frances (should be Francis), Larkin B, Lucy J and James A and with his mother Sarah Bridges and his maternal grandparents, Lucy and William Page.

I am unsure of his father's name.

Jane (Owen) Eason

Instead of editing this post, I am correcting the info here. The Bridges mentioned above were, indeed, living with Lucy and William Page in the 1850 census, but I have learned information that makes me doubt that William Page is the grandparent/parent of this family. I do believe that Lucy is the mother of Sarah and the grandmother of the children. However, one of the children's death records says that his mother's maiden name was Sarah Harris. And there is a record of a Lucy Harris marrying a William Page when Sarah would have been about 12 years old. Sarah and several of her children are mentioned in William Page's will, but their relationship to him is not mentioned. These findings make me suspect that William Page is Sarah's stepfather. I haven't found a record of Mr. Harris, who would be Sarah's father/Lucy's first husband. The same death record mentioned above gave the children's father's name as W. L. Bridges. Other possibilities exist, such as Lucy could be Sarah's aunt or could have adopted Sarah, but there is no evidence pointing in that direction.

Posted: 7 Sep 2011 4:14AM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2013 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges, Robinson/Robertson, Johnson, Riggins, Cates, Holder, Silman, Underhill
Hi,
My great grandmother was Sarah F. Bridges. She is 2 years old in the 1850 Federal census for Carroll County, TN. Her parents were George W (or H) Bridges & Sarah (unknown maiden name). George's parents were Francis Bridges (1779-1850) and Sarah Caudle/Cadle Bridges. Siblings of my great grandmother were: Thomas Warren, Mary Susan Bridges (married a Johnson), George M., Martha E., Margaret A., and Thomas. There may have also been a George Terry Bridges, 1847-1924, (but he may be part of the extended family). My g grandmother married Green Tyre Robinson/Robertson in 1870. They moved to Fulton, Ky soon after. The 1880 Fulton, KY census lists a Mary Robertson as head of household, and incorrectly says she is the mother of the children. My grandfather, Harvey Ernest Robinson was born in 1880. His sister, Sallie Robinson Riggins Cates was born in 1884, probably also in Fulton, KY. Sarah F. must have died between 1884 and 1898 in KY or MO, because I can find no record of her or Green between those dates, and Green remarried to Elizabeth Holder in 1898, and then to Hannah Silman Underhill in 1908, both marriages in Scott Co, MO. I wish I could find someone researching this branch of the Bridges family. Maybe they would also have info on the ancestors of Green Tyre Robinson/Robertson. I can't find documentation of Green's father. I believe his mother was Mary A. He might have had a younger sister, Amanda, but I can't find any record of her, other than the 1860 Carroll Co, TN census, age 8. In 1860, Mary, Green, & Amanda are listed as living with Nancy Mcdearman & her 2 daughters, Francis and Martha. Nancy's maiden name was Christopher, but I can find no documentation of Christophers or Mcdearmans in the Robinson/Robertson family tree. I don't know Mary A's maiden name.

Susan Robinson
----------------------------------
Update 10/30/2013:

"There may have also been a George Terry Bridges, 1847-1924, (but he may be part of the extended family)."

I now know that George Terry Bridges was not a sibling in this family. George M was a sibling, and is 4 years old in the 1850 Census; but he is not in the 1860 census. It seems likely that he died before 1860, too young to have been married.

"My g grandmother married Green Tyre Robinson/Robertson in 1870. They moved to Fulton, Ky soon after."

Sarah Bridges Robinson's & Green Tyre Robinson's daughter, Minnie Frances Robinson Lile, was born in TN in 1874. The 1878 birth records for Fulton, KY document the birth of their son, C A Robinson. The next known document of the family is the 1880 Fulton, KY Census.

"My grandfather, Harvey Ernest Robinson was born in 1880."

Harvey appears in the 1880 Federal census for Fulton, KY.

"His sister, Sallie Robinson Riggins Cates was born in 1884, probably also in Fulton, KY."

Harvey's sister was almost certainly born in MO. Federal Census records give Missouri as her birth state. Family oral history, handed down from Harvey & Minnie, supports this.

"I can't find documentation of Green's father."

Green's father was a William T Robinson, as documented in Carroll County, TN court & land records.

"I believe his mother was Mary A."

Green's mother was Mary Ann (maiden name unknown). Census records give her birth info as approx 1826 & TN. She also appears in Carroll, TN court records in the late 1860s, as suing for money from her deceased husband's property (William apparently left no will, but did have land in Carroll, TN.)

"He might have had a younger sister, Amanda, but I can't find any record of her, other than the 1860 Carroll Co, TN census, age 8. In 1860, Mary, Green, & Amanda are listed as living with Nancy Mcdearman & her 2 daughters, Francis and Martha. Nancy's maiden name was Christopher, but I can find no documentation of Christophers or Mcdearmans in the Robinson/Robertson family tree."

Green did have a sister, Amanda, and she & Harvey were named in the court case as heirs of William T. Robinson. Green & Amanda appear to be the biological children of Mary Ann & William T. Three additional heirs were named: Penina Robinson, Martha Robinson, & Nancy Jane Phillips. It is not specified in the court records how they are related to William T. I have found no evidence that their biological mother was Mary Ann.

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges
Susan, do you know of any siblings of George W. Bridges, father of Sarah, b. 1848? Thanks. Jane (Owen) Eason

Posted: 7 Oct 2013 6:10AM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2013 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges, Caudle, Moore
Hi Jane,

Here are the siblings & 1/2 siblings I have for George H or W Bridges, father of Sarah F Bridges Robinson b. 1848.

Siblings (children of Francis Bridges & Sarah Caudle Bridges)
• Jesse P Bridges
1803 – 1889
• S Bridges Breehun/Breechun/Brechun/ Brecheen
1807 – 1873
• James Darling Bridges
1809 – 1863
• Larkin Wade Bridges
1810 – 1848
• David Bridges
1814 – 1885
• Lucy Ann Bridges Joiner/Joyner
1820 –
• James Riley Bridges
1821 – 1886

• Half siblings (Children of Francis Bridges & Matilda Moore Bridges
• Martitia Fannie Bridges
1845 –
• Lorry A Bridges
1848 –
• Joseph A Bridges
1850 –

Susan

-------------------------------
Update: 10/30/2013

"Half siblings (Children of Francis Bridges & Matilda Moore Bridges
• Martitia Fannie Bridges
1845 –
• Lorry A Bridges
1848 –
• Joseph A Bridges
1850 –"

Martitia Fannie Bridges should be named as "M F Bridges." I'm am researching the possibility that M F (in the 1850 Carroll, TN Census with Francis & Matilda Bridges nee Moore) is Martitia Bridges, listed in the 1860 Henry, TN Census with George W Bridges, Sarah Bridges, & their children. Martitia's middle name might be Fannie.

Posted: 7 Oct 2013 11:09PM GMT
Thanks for the response, Susan. I received your message on ancestry, and I will contact you there.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions