Search for content in message boards

Martin family in AR, TN, and OK

Martin family in AR, TN, and OK

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Rorie, Hutchinson
I'm looking for any information on my grandmother's side of the family. Her father was Thomas William Martin, born February 24, 1909 in Arkansas. He died when I was young, in the mid-90's in Oklahoma City. I have scattered bits of information gathered by my grandmother's brother, but I'm finding little information online to corroborate the information he has already collected. This is a summary of what he's given me:

Thomas William Martin (born in 1909 in AR)
Son of: Richard C. martin (born 1860 in AR)
Son of: Thomas D. Martin (born 1825 in TN)
Son of: Menan M. Martin (born 1775 in VA)

And it goes on from there.

I'm looking for any information on any of these men and their families, along with any additional information on their spouses & spouses families (Mary Mollie Rorie was married to Richard, Susan M. Hutchinson was married to Thomas D.). I know this is isn't a lot of information, but if you believe you could have some further information I'd be interested in, please e-mail me as soon as possible at nathanvaughanmarks@gmail.com. Thank you.

Re: Martin family in AR, TN, and OK

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Lansden, Hutchenson, Jackson
I am descended from Thomas D Martin's son James. Thomas was first married to Sussanah Lansden in TN. She died giving birth to their daughter, Elizabeth. Thomas then moved to ARK with James, leaving Elizabeth with her grandparents. I don't know much more, but I have a picture I believe may be of Thomas and Susan Hutchenson (or James Martin & Drucilla Jackson) if that is of interest to you. I also came across some info that inidcated Menan's father as Obediah Martin, but I can't say that is a fact.

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 4:50PM GMT
Just came across your query as I was browsing on this message board. I may have some information you can use. If so, I will be glad to share what I have.

The Menan M. Martin in your list was the son of Obadiah Martin and Elizabeth (Betty) Turner, probably their oldest son. Obadiah Martin was the youngest son of James Martin and Elizabeth Crawford of Amherst County VA. Obadiah and his wife Betty moved to North Carolina in the late 1700s (I don’t have a date.) where most or all of their children were born. They came to Claiborne County TN in the early 1800s, where they lived until their deaths. I have transcribed a deed dated 1806 when Obadiah bought a square (640 acres) of land in Claiborne County.

I know of six children of Obadiah who lived to maturity. One of the daughters, Anna Martin, was my g-g-g-grandmother. Menan settled in Overton County. His wife’s maiden name is given by many researchers as Elizabeth Brown, but I have no source information for that one way or the other. My first proof of the father-son connection is an 1812 deed in which Obadiah transfers ownership of a slave “to Menan Martin my son of Overton County”.

Another of Obadiah’s sons, and brother of the elder Menan, was John Sampson Martin, after whom one of Menan’s sons was undoubtedly named. He settled in Franklin County TN, near the Alabama line. The three daughters and another son settled in Claiborne County. The son who settled in Claiborne was named Thomas D. Martin, as was your ancestor.

I have a lot of info on the descendants of the Claiborne County members of the family; some (but a lot less) on Menan and his brother John. If you want to correspond, I can be e-mailed at prsacks@comcast.net

Pat

Posted: 9 Apr 2010 6:49PM GMT
I would love to have a picture of Thomas. My Thomas moved to Blytheville, Arkansas not sure of the year but I found him in 1900 and 1910 he married my grandmother in 1912 in Whitton, Ark. I have a picture of my Thomas on my tree the "McDonald, Martin, Bevill, Pritchet" tree My email is rfburris@charter.net
Thanks Pat

Posted: 31 May 2010 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: Martin
Menan M. Martin is my 4xgreat-grandfather. The records I have shows that Menan and Elizabeth had 14 children. My ancestor is Joel C., older brother of Thomas D. In the spring of 1851 Joel, Thomas D. and his 6 year old son James, along with several other family members left Overton County TN. They loaded up their flatboats with livestock and household goods and floated down the rivers to Izard County Arkansas. There, Joel and Thomas bought a few hundred acres of rich bottom land along the White River and began farming. Thomas, who came to AR as a widower, married Susan Hutcheson - who's family was well established in the Northfork area. Thomas was a fine blacksmith and wagon maker as well as farmer.

The info I have says that Thomas left his daughter Elizabeth (b. 1848) behind in TN with his mother (also named Elizabeth) when we left for Arkansas. Thomas and Susan had 10 children, 9 of whom grew to adulthood. It is said that he served as a confederate Lieutenant during the Civil War, but we have not been able to sustantiate that.

Both Joel and Thomas refused to own slaves and they were both literate and well read for their time.

I also have some information on Menan and Elizabeth - they purchased 350 acres on May 11, 1816 on the west fork of Obed's River in Overton County, TN from Thomas Jackson for the $930. (Overton County Deed BooK D, page 107). Over the next 3o years he continued buying land and by his last purchase on February 13, 1845, he had a total of 918 acres. Menan & Elizabeth had a total of 14 children. Menan died in early 1849. On roll 22, page 426 of the Overton County court records, dated May 1849, Obadiah T.L. Martin (Menan's son) was named administrator of Menan's will. Elizabeth died sometime between 1864 and 1870.

I also have quite a bit of information on James Martin (Obediah's father) from Virginia including a copy of his will.
If you are interested, I would be happy to share all the info I have. You can reach me at bowling_2@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions