Search for content in message boards

SKENDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS

SKENDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS

Posted: 6 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: Skander, Skender, Sedlarich, Sleyzak, Vojtus, Vojtek
Joseph Nickolas Skander/Skender b. 1889 Selo Silva, Yugoslavia, immigrated to America 1911(1903). Parents Matthew and Barbara "Katie" (Sedlarich) Skander/Skender of Hungary. Joseph m. Anna Sleyzak 1912 Fayette Co., PA, U.S.A. Anna's parents Michael and Anna (Vojtus/Vojtek) Sleyzak. Michael Immigrated to America 1890 and Anna in 1891 with son, Joseph. They were from Czechoslovakia, church death records (1929 and 1930) show Slovakia. Would appreciate help or suggestions. Thanks. Ginny

Re: SKENDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS

Darryl S. (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 8:37PM GMT
I am just starting to do my mothers side of the family and ran across your post for Skender. My grandmother was named Anna Skender, she came by boat with her sister ilona Skender on may 7,1912. Ages 17 and 19 respectively. There destination was South Fork Penn according to the Ellis Island manifest, which is confirmed by the fact that my mother and her brothers and sisters were born there . Anna and Ilona came from Vacalja Hungary by boat on the Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm vai Bremen Germany. If this is not the same family that you are looking for tha please accept my apologies as I know very little about this part of my ancestry right now.........Thankyou, Darryl

Posted: 23 Apr 2002 6:26PM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2004 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: SKENDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS
My Grandfather was Joseph Nickolas Skander. He was born in Selo Silva, Yugoslavia in 1889. The census shows his immigration date as either 1903 or 1908 (can't determine which). I have been unable to find any ships records or naturalization records for him. The place of birth came from his Social Security Number application. The gravestone for his daughter, Katiga Skender, is in Slovak and shows the family name spelled with an "e" instead of an "a", so the spelling of our name was probably changed from the original. Family lore says that he stowed away on the boat when he was a child. The first record I have of him is in Fayette County, PA, where he married my Grandmother, Anna Sleyzak in 1912. I don't see any connection to yours, but will keep yours on file in the event I am able to connect one of these days. Thank you for contacting me. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck in your search. Ginny

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 3:23AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 4:45AM GMT
Skender is a very unusual name, very rare in Hungary.

Have you considered searching the films of the Roman Catholic parish of Vasalja in Vas county? The films extend till September 1895 and may well include both the births of Anna and Ilona.

LDS recently also made available about ten years of civil records of Vas county, starting October 1895. The civil office for Vasalja might have been in Horvátnádalja. These records have also been filmed by LDS.

I wonder whether Vasalja is the right place for you, but if you search the related records you will be able to confirm or eliminate it as a possible place of your ancestors.

To get the film numbers, go to http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchcatalog.asp , and enter Vasal and Horvatna as the place names, then follow the leads.

Darryl S. (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2002 5:38AM GMT
Surnames: Skender
Fritz, I would like to say thankyou for your response as well as the one I got from Ginny, again thankyou both! I have not yet really dug into the history of my grandmother or her family, and the info i posted came from that Ellis Island manifest. I am still trying to track her down in Pennsylvania where she settled. She may have changed the spelling of her name since I couldnt find any other Skenders from her family with the same spelling on any of the manifests at Ellis. My mother says she had a sister named Katie,Mary, and Helen(Illona maybe?) , and she said that they didnt all travel to the U.S. at the same time. The search tips you gave me were most excellent and I extend my gratitude for them. I will be in alot of trouble because I cant read Slovac and that was one of the languages my mother says my grandmother spoke, along with a little German , and of coarse Hungarian. I plan to uses your input as soon as I get to my oversea's search..........Sincerely, Darryl......P.S. Fritz, if that name is very rare in Hungary, where would you expect to see it? :)

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 3:23PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 4:45AM GMT
Your other names (Slezak and Vojtus) look Slavic, and Slezak looks even more specifically Slovak or Czech. Perhaps a reader of this board who speaks Slovak may be able to say whether Skenda or Skanda could be a Slovak name.

It would be quite a distance to Vasalja in Vas county anyway, but as I said, lacking better information, you need to try this route. Also check the subscription hungarianvillagefinder or the microfilm/fiche of the Dvorzsák Gazetteer of Hungary at LDS whether there was any other village in old Hungary with the name Vasalja or similar.

Frankly, the name Skender reminded me of the famous leader of Albania against the Turks, who was a Greek with the name Castriotis, but had the nom de guerre of Skanderbeg (or bey), which was either Turkish or Albanian.

If you go to the Austrian phone directory at www.etb.at, and enter Skend. (with the dot at the end) as the name, you will get a picture of mostly entries that suggest a southeast European or Middle-eastern (Turkish?) origin. Also try to enter Skand. (with the dot at the end).

Perhaps the spelling Skanda is from Slovakia. Go to the Hungarian on-line phone directory at http://www.matav.hu/tudakozo/index_e.html and enter Skend*, Skande* and Skanda as the last name and see what you get. There are a few Skanda, Skandera, and very few Skenderovic and Skenderovszki in today's Hungary.

Re: SKANDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS

Posted: 30 Apr 2002 3:14PM GMT
I was told that my Grandfather Joseph Skander claimed to be Croatian and my Grandmother Anna Sleyzak was Czechoslovakian. The census showed his native tongue as Magyar, which I was told was Hungarian for Croatian. I was told they spoke Magyar along the Austrian/Hungarian border. There is also a town called Sedlarica (meaning saddler) along that border and my Grandfather's mother's maiden name was Sedlarich. Someone told my sister-in-law that they knew the Skanders in the old country and that they were horse traders. Who knows if there is a connection. A lot of coincidences. Thanks much for your reply. Will check out the sites you recommend. Ginny

Posted: 30 May 2002 10:07AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2003 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: sleyzak/skender
HI Vriginia,
It has been a while. Been very busy. Just started to get back into the family tree. I still have your packet and will try to finish it and get it back if it will be helpful. Email me if u would like.

Posted: 30 May 2002 11:16AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2002 5:11PM GMT
Hello Ed,

I respond to your Email regarding one of your queries, but for some reason the mail came back to me. Perhaps you mailbox was full?

Here is what I wrote:

> Hello ?
>
> A search for variations of SLEYZAK found none arr from "Yugoslavia".
> Yugoslavia only existed from 1929 to 1991, a short period. Did your GPs
arr
> during that period? If not then they possibly came from Slovenia,
Croatia,
> Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia or Macedonia, countries which made up
> "Yugoslavia." Do you have something recorded which says he was came from
> Yugoslavia? US documents written during the years mentioned above would
> then state "Yugoslavia". The actual place would have been on the
countries
> mentioned above.
>
> The surname variations are listing Race of People as Slovak or Polish in
> most cases. Slovaks have lived in Croatia for several centuries and there
> are still villages there which are mostly Slovak. The surname SLEZAK is
> found in Croatia and there are a few listings for KRUPANJSKI, KRUPANSKI
and
> KRUPANJSKY (sounds like krrrooponyskee)
>
> A bit more info may help IE when did they arrive in the US? Where did
they
> settle? What language did they speak?
>
> John = Ivan, Ivo, Ivica, Janko in Croatian
> John = Jan in Slovak
>
> Robert Jerin
> Croatian Heritage Museum
> Cleveland, Ohio
> http://www.croatia-in-english.com/rj/index.html
>

Posted: 1 Jun 2002 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: SKENDER/SLEYZAK/VOJTUS
Hi Ed: Good to hear from you. Hope you are all settled in. Yes, I would appreciate receiving the packet. Please keep in touch. Perhaps we can help each other out.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions