Search for content in message boards

Coggeshall

Coggeshall

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just discovered that I am the 9th great grandaughter of John Coggeshall, b. abt 1591 - d.11/27/1647, the first president of Rhode Island, through his son Major John Coggshall, his daughter Patience Throckmorton Coggeshall married Samuel Rathbone, their daughter Rebecca married John Rider,whose daughter Phoebe Rider married Daniel Eggers, Sr. Their son Landrine Eggers married Tabitha Tatum, their son William Eggers married Nancy Eveland, whose son George Washington Eggers(my great grandfather) married Mary Clarissa Flowers in Pickering, MO. It's great that's there is so much about the Coggeshall Family available. I've only begun to really get to digging and have so much information. Thank you all for sharing documented info.

Re: Coggeshall

Posted: 1 Dec 2011 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Coggeshall, Throckmorton
This is Sandy's husband Pete.

Your information is not correct on Major John - Patience Throckmorton was his second wife, not his daughter. They were married in Providence, RI in December, 1655.

With your link to Major John and his wife Patience Throckmorton, you can tie into one of 8 slightly different lines that my father has established back to a king of England - and proved to the exacting genealogy standards of the genealogy group commonly known as "The Royal Bastards."

For more details you may be interested in a copy of his detailed genealogy book - "Ancestors and Kin" by Robert Walden Coggeshall.

I have copies of this book for sale, so if interested, feel free to contact me via e-mail:
pcoggeshall@earthlink.net

This book also traces the Coggeshall line of President John Coggeshall back to Sir Thomas de Coggeshall, who was living in 1149. It also traces the Throckmorton family back to Gervais de Throckmorton who was born around 1080.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Coggeshall, Throckmorton
This is Sandy's husband Pete again.
Well the 1930 book "The Coggeshalls in America" does show that Major John and his second wife Patience Throckmorton Coggeshall had a 3rd daughter whom they named Patience. But there is no indication that she had a middle name, or that her middle name was Throckmorton. She was born in Newport, RI on Aug 13, 1669 and married Samuel Rathbone in Newport on Nov 3, 1692. They had 8 children, their first daughter they too named Patience.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:49PM GMT
Thank you for the information. Please keep in touch! I haven't been working on family history much lately, but am always up for an "investigation".

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:02AM GMT
This is Pete Coggeshall again,
I see that both you and I are 9th great-grandsons (dauthters) of President John and that both of our lines go through his first son Major John Coggeshall and the Major's second wife, Patience Throckmorton. This means that we are 8th cousins (in the same generation). My line goes through their first son, Freegift Coggeshall.

I do notice that your information on President John Coggeshall is slightly at odds with my information on him, from my father's book, "Ancestors and Kin" - which cites NEHGS records. "John Coggeshall was baptised in Halstead England on Dec 9, 1601 {the practice was for an early baptism, so he was likely born a few days before this}. He died suddenly in Newport, RI on November 27, 1647 {we agree on this}. "Ancestors and Kin" contains so much more information on President John than I have seen elswhere.

I checked the information on your line in both "The Coggeshalls in American" and "Ancestors and Kin" and find genreally the same information: "Patience Coggeshall {6th child of Major John and Patience Throckmorton Coggeshall} was born Newport, RI on Aug 13, 1669, died 1747 at about age 78, married Newport on Nov 3, 1692 to Samuel Rathbone of Block Island son of John and Margaret Rathbone (Samuel was born Newport on Aug 3, 1672 and died on Jan 24, 1757); they had 8 children." TCIA lists the children, with Rebecca being the last and maried to a Reider.

I am selling copies of "Ancestors and Kin" for a reasonable price given the quality of this hard-bound book. Simply send me an e-mail, and I will provide you with addition information on the book's contents:
pcoggeshall@earthlink.net
For the cost of photo-copying, I will also provide copies of the appropriate pages from TCIA in the package with your copy of "Ancestors and Kin."

I'm sorry I was not more forthcoming in my first post answering your original post. I did not check the details of what you were reproting and relied soly on the 1930 book "The Coggeshalls in America." Between them, these 2 books give more information on this part of your line.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 2:47AM GMT
Great! Look for my email concerning the book "Ancestors and Kin".
Thank you cuz,
Lori

Re: Coggeshall, et al

Posted: 18 Dec 2013 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Throckmorton, Coggeshall, Rathbone, Downing, Walters, Pooler, DeLong, Hicks, Cramer
Hello relatives! I am related to Patience Throckmorton Coggeshall (and her ancestory) via her marriage to Samuel Rathbone. One of their sons, James (1707-1764), married Mercy Downing (1711-1807), also of Rhode Island in 1732. There was a note in a genealogical record that some of the children of their marriage changed the spelling of the last name to "Rathbun". Anyway, one of James and Mercy children was Priscilla Rathbone (1749-1824) born in Russia, Herkimer Cty., NY. This is in the Mohawk Valley area of NY. Priscilla then married John Walters (1742-1814) who was born in England on July 8, 1776, in Russia, NY. One of their daughters, Violetta (1784-1861) married Joseph Pooler (1781-1860) in Russia, NY. One of their children, Nathaniel Pooler (1808-1870) married Mary DeLong (1814-1878) in Russia, NY, and one of their daughters, Laura A. (1837-1897) married Peter A. Cramer in Russia, NY in 1858. They had 3 children: Marcellus, Oresta and Mary. Marcellus Cramer (1863-1908), born in Trenton, NY, is my great grandfather. He married Calista - aka "Kittie" Hicks (1866-1932; I can't find much out about her) in 1890 in Michigan. My grandpa , Floyd Carl Cramer was an only child (1890-?). The Cramer family in this area is quite large so it looks like there is a huge bunch of relation scattered all over the US, etc. I just started my ancestral searching as I just retired.

I would like to keep in touch with you all since 1080 AD is about as far back as I have been able to go on my grandpa's side of the family.

Marj J Cramer
dhtlady@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic