Search for content in message boards

What do Orlando's origin from?

What do Orlando's origin from?

Angela (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2003 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Orlando
I am trying to find out where my roots are. If anyone knows where the surname Orlando is from, please let me know.

Re: What do Orlando's origin from?

John M. DiNicola, Jr, (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2003 8:43PM GMT
My Orlando's come from Ribera, Agrigento, Sicily,

John Orlando (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2004 8:59PM GMT
Hi, I'm not exactly sure where Orlando originated from, but I do know our Orlando family came from Sicily, city of Palermo or close by Terisini. How about your family, do you know where they are from?

Posted: 24 May 2005 9:31PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2005 9:19AM GMT
Surnames: Orlando, Roland
Hello, I am thrilled to have found this board. My mother's father was an Orlando, born in Palermo, Sicily around 1887. His first name was Francesco. However, I was told by my mother that the family originally came from France. Their surname was Roland but was changed to Orlando when they moved to Sicily. If anybody has that kind of background, I would love to read your post here. Marianne.

Mike Orlando (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 12:27PM GMT
Hi Marianne,

Looks like our Grandfathers were born in or around the same cities, around the same time, wonder if they knew each other? Although mine, Mercurio Orlando left Sicily when he was about 6 yrd old came through NY, ellis Island and then to Detroit Mi. This is where out family still lives, North of Detroit. Happy hunting and if you want to email with any more questions feel free to do so, John Michael Orlando II
morl3@excite.com

Posted: 26 May 2005 5:18PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2005 9:19AM GMT
Buon Giorno Tutti.
Thanks so much for replying Mike. It was good to hear from another Orlando. I get this feeling that the Orlandos are a mighty BIG family in Sicily. IT seems from everything I read that they originated from the Roland family in France, but my question now becomes in what century did they migrate to Sicily. On a more personal note, my grandfather, Francesco came to America sometime around l906-1908 when he was 17 via Ellis Island also, but settled on the lower east side in New York City. I know he was an artist by career and studied at the Cooper Union Art School in New York. Two other questions. Have you or has anybody else here been to Sicily or live in Sicily? I am hoping to go there next March with my cousin, whose father was Michael Orlando, the only son of our grandfather, Francesco, who had three other girls. I am wondering how one goes about finding family over there.

Have a beautiful day. Marianne aka MarieAnne aka Marieoocha.

Marg (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2005 6:06PM GMT
Our Orlandos came from Agnone, Molise, Italy. This is on the East side of the mountains I think.
Marg

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 3:27AM GMT
My Orlandos came from Agnone area also. Pietro Orlando was my great grandfather. His wife's name was Angela but not sure of her maiden name. Children were Antonio, Francesco, Pasqualina,Luigi that I know of plus others that I am not sure of their names, yet. Any info would be gratly appreciated

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: Orlando, Ghizzoni, DeGirolamo, Peccoli
My husband's Orlando's are from Agnone, Molise, but none of the names are the same as yours. His gr-grandparents were Vincenzo and Filomena whose children were Carmine, Maria Grazia, Domenico and Rita. They came to Canada in 1908.

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 3:59AM GMT
I'm getting the feeling that the name Francesco Orlando was pretty popular in Parlermo the 1880's-1900's. My great-grandfather named Francesco Orlando came over around 1900 and settled in the Bronx. His sons. Sebastian and Victor are both still alive. Sebastian is my grandfather my father's name is Frank as is mine and my son's. Victor's son is named david as is his son. I live in Maspeth, Queens. If you know of anyone I mentioned I would love to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions