Search for content in message boards

John Saylor

John Saylor

ANNA SAYLOR ALTMAN (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2000 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:17AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor, Altman, Brock
Help any information regarding John Saylor and his relatives I know that his son my grandfather was Ewel Saylor, and my father is Andy Saylor,and then me Anna Saylor Altman but I need any info of any relatives before John Saylor and Nancy Brock in the 1800s I need to know of any indian relation if possible. I would appreciate any help in this matter. thanks

Re: John Saylor

Don Snyder (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2000 10:14PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:18AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor, Shider, Brock, Hoskins
I was stumbling around in another genealogy site, looking for my great-grandmother, Martha Saylor, born 1873 in Harlan County, KY (her daughter Mabel Lucille Shidler). I did not find her but I found a bunch of other Saylors in Harlan County, including two Johns, and there were several Brocks in the mix, as well. The short version is: Solomon Saylors (b. 1765, d. 1848) married Sarah "sally" Saylers (b. 1770, d. 1850) and they had John Saylor, Sr (b. 1790, d. 1870, Harlan Co, KY). They also had Elizibeth "Betsy" Saylor (b. 1796-97). John Saylor, Sr married Mary "Polly" Hoskins and they had 11 children, one of which was John Granville Saylor, born between 1816 and 1830. Elizibeth "Betsy" Saylor married Hiram Brock and they had a daughter, Elizibeth Brock. If I had an E-mail address, I could send the long version of this branch and where I found it. In the meantime, I continue to look for Martha "Marty" Saylor, who's father may have been Barbary Saylor,

Darla Saylor Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2000 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor, Brock, Howard, Shepherd, Ward
I am a descendant of Soloman Saylor and his son Zachariah Saylor. There is a book about the Caldwell family of southeast KY that has chapters on the Saylors and Brocks of Harlan. In this book it says Jesse Brock and Rebecca Howard (both believed to be part indian) settled in Wallins KY(Harlan CO) with a number of indian families.With Jesse's permission, these indians took on the surname of Brock for convenience while living among whites. Jesse and Rebecca had a son,Amon, who had 2 sons, Ephraim and Aaron. Ephraim and Aaron married 2 Shepherd sisters, Nancy and Barbara daughters of James and Barbara Shephard. These Shepherds claimed to be descendants of Nancy Ward, a famous and beloved woman in Cherokee history. Ephraim and Aaron both had daughters named Nancy Brock. Many Brocks in Harlan claim to be Cherokee.My great grandmother was Sarah Brock. I hope some of this info helps. Darla

Judith Davison-Hill (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2000 4:56PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: Brock, Howard, Callahan, Davidson
Jesse Brock the son of Aaron Brock supposedly an Indian Chief was married to Rebecca Howard,\. He is my 5 or 6 gr uncle. His sister Mahalia Susan Brock was the mother of Elizabeth Callahan married to my gr (5) grandfather Samuel Davidson. Jesse had a son Hiram who had a son Jonathon H. who had a son Joseph C. who is on the Cherokee by Blood with roll #. William Brock married Mourning saylor. William was a brother of Hiram. I am not sure of the roll number but it looks good. I have been searching for one to get my cdib card. Reach me at judyahill@yahoo.com

Mary Saylor Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 9:09AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor
Most of the Saylors from Harlan KY. came from Soloman Saylor . His father was Joseph saylor from Mecklenburg N.C. Do a search on Joseph Saylor and you will find more information on the Saylors from Harlan Ky.

Bonnie Saylor (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2000 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:32AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor, Hopkins, Dawson, Slusher
Hi,looking for information on Ison Saylor
Aretha Saylor,of Molus,KY.I am ther Great-
Grand Daughter.I know that Ison dad and mom
is Silas w. Saylor-Laujna Hopkins Saylor
Thes are Ison and Aretha children
ANDY SAYLOR SR.
CLYE SAYLOR JESS B. SAYLOR FREIDA DAWSON
EVA SLUSHER. THANKS,

Charmaine Saylor-Wisniewski (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2000 7:37AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:23AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor, Brock
To: Any Saylor relatives
I am new at all this but, here goes. My father's name was Johnny Esker Saylor and I believe he was born in or around Harlan, Kentucky around 1923. Although his mother was married to a Saylor at one time, when I knew my grandmother she was married to a Brock. Due to many marriages and divorces on my grandmother's side, I cannot seem to locate anything. Does anyone have any idea where I go from here?

carol wise (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2000 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:24AM GMT
Surnames: Brock, Blanton
did your sarah brock marry james blanton? if so, she was also my great grandmother. please let me know, if so we are related too.

Posted: 9 Dec 2000 7:04AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:25AM GMT
Surnames: Bradford, Short, Saylor
I think I may belong to this line as well. My g grandma was Glenia Fronia Bradfrod Short. Her mother was Mary Saylor b. 1885 d.1914 married to Noah Bradford of Harlan County. My great aunt told me that when she would take her to visit Harlan County that she would see the Saylor name on many stores and such and that she said that they were her people. It is also believed that she was of Indian descendency anyone else researching her I would be very interested in talking with you.

Posted: 9 Dec 2000 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2003 11:26AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor
i am from harlan co., ky. my grandmother's maiden name is saylor. her father was newberry saylor. he had 14 children. they are now spread out all over the u.s. if you would like more info., or you think i can help e-mail me. my grandma and mom still live in harlan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions