Search for content in message boards

ROBERT MCDONALD JONES

ROBERT MCDONALD JONES

Barry Flanary (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2006 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONES, COLBERT
Looking for information about ROBERT MCDONALD JONES and his wife SUSAN "SUKEY" COLBERT. R.M. Jones was born in 1808 in MS and died in 1873. He and his wife are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery in Hugo. They had two children: George Washington Jones and Frances Jones. Robert M. Jones is an Indian, possibly Choctaw.

He was wealthy owning 5 plantations. He was a silent partner in a store in Doakesville and later trading operations in New Orleans. During the Civil War he was a tribal rep for the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations to the Confederate Congress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: ROBERT MCDONALD JONES

Bonnie (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2006 6:58PM GMT
I have a little info on Robert McDonald Jones for you which is in the book "Who Was Who Among the Southern Indians 1698 - 1907", written by Don Martini, pages 354 - 355:

JONES, ROBERT MCDONALD - A Choctaw, born on October 1, 1808. He was described as a "halfbreed Creek" by one writer, however he was listed as a Choctaw while attending the Choctaw Academy in 1829 - 1830.
In 1831, he lived in LeFlore's District, probably in the Yazoo Valley. His household at that time consisting of one person, a male over age 16.
He was allowed 960 acres by the 1830 treaty, which noted that he did then reside in the Choctaw Nation.
He moved west in 1832, signed the 1837 treaty, and became a partner in the trading firm of Berthelet, Heald & Company od Doaksville.
In 1838 he lived on the Blue River. He eventually amassed great wealth, including five plantations, one of 4000 acres. He first lived at Skullyville, then moved from there to Boggy Depot.
From there he went to Lake West on Red River, and finally to Rose Hill near Doaksville. In 1847 he and his wife, Susan, owned 145 slaves 60 horses, 700 cattle, 175 sheep, 400 hogs, and 6 wagons. He raised 1200 bushels of wheat, 250 bales of cotton, 700 bushels of potatoes, 1000 bushels of oats, and 7400 bushels of corn that year. He signed the 1854 and 1861 treaties, and he died at Rose Hill on February 22, 1873.
His first wife was Judith Walker, whom he married on January 6, 1831.
He married Susan Colbert McLish, the daughter of Chickasaw chief George Colbert on November 8, 1838. She died in 1860 at the age of 50.
In 1861 he married Elizabeth Earls.
He was the father of Robert Fulton Jones, born 1832, Hiram Jones, born 1834, Ellen Jones, born 1836, George W. Jones, born between 1840 - 1845, Frances Jones. born 1842, Mary Elizabeth Jones, born 1861 (married George Randall), Robert Jefferson Jones, born 1863, Henry Earls Jones, born 1864 (died that same year), James McDonald Jones, born 1866 (died that same year), and Franklin Jones, born 1867 (died that same year).
Hope this bit of info helps you out.

Bonnie (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2006 7:02PM GMT
If you want more on the background of Susan Colbert you can contact me . What I have is a little lengthy to post here.
Bonnie
kwoneenee@yahoo.com

Posted: 13 Jan 2007 2:35PM GMT
Robert Mcdonald Jones,his father was samuel wilson jones,they were from i believe the oklafalaya clan of choctaw,robert mcdonald jones was involved in the treaty of dancing rabbit creek,there were alot of his first cousin,s who lived in pontotoc county mississippi one was a robert marion jones, willis jones who shot and killed chief emubby the chief counsler to chief tishamingo,these cousins where also choctaw,another of his cousin,s in this family was my third great grandmother annis jones who married coleman draper. what i am about to type is from robert mcdonald jones family biblegeorge washington jones was born on the 16th of april 1840 and died on 1st of august 1845,frances jones was born on the19th of april 1842,frances jones married samuel a. love on the 24th of october 1859.henry earls jones was born on the21st day of july 1863,he died on 31 july 1864. mary elizabeth jones was born on the 1st day of december 1861.looks like james mcdonald jones was born on the 22nd of march 1866? and departed on 15th november 1866. franklin jones was born on the 12 of august 1867 departed 25th day of august 1867,it shows that susan jones departed on the 13th day of january 1860, Robert Mcdonald and susan Colbert were married on the 8th of november 1838, Robert McDonald Jones and Elizabeth Earls were married on the 18th January 1861. Robert was according to my studied,s a member of the oklafalayah clan in mississippi. and there is a Robert m. son of Samuel a. and Francis j. Love was born the 6th day fo august 1860.

Posted: 13 Jan 2007 9:23PM GMT
Thanks very much for the info. Robert M. Jones was apparently quite wealthy. Owned a few plantations and several slaves. He was a business partner with my ggggrandfather, John Hobart Heald. They had several stores in the Indian territory and later had a business in New Orleans. Heald went bankrupt before the Civil War in large part because of the yellow fever which killed so many in New Orleans including clients who owed him money. Heald recovered tho' and did well eventually retiring near New York City in New Jersey.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic