Search for content in message boards

Hardy's in Alabama South Alabama

Hardy's in Alabama South Alabama

Posted: 11 Jul 2001 3:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Washington, Baxter, Hardy, Hall, Mealing, Rice, Wilson, Turner
Looking for any information on Hardy's from Alabama (Dallas, Lowndes and surrounding Counties). I am researching African American Hardy's and have hit the "brick wall" of the early 1860's. If you know of any (Hardy's (Black or White) from Alabama or any Plantation/Slave owners in the same counties I would appreciate that information too. Attached is a gedcom family tree file and a picture file representation of my Hardy Family line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wililam Washington II
bsidehits@msn.com

Attachments:

Re: Hardy's in Alabama South Alabama

Posted: 16 Apr 2003 11:22AM GMT
Surnames: Meadows Hardy
I think I can help you maybe - there are wills from SC with slave names- have you seen them- John Hardy 1740- his sons all inherited slaves and some of these brothers moved to AL and their sons married Meadows girlswhose father Ransom Meadows had slaves . Look below. I am looking for an indian connection as the Meadows were dark high cheeks and dark hair looking like indians, but i did wonder if any blacks were also in the family.
Notes on Hardy relations of some Meadows children
Elizabeth Jane Meadows married John B. Hardy b. between 1826 and 1836?
Milous Meadows,her brother, married Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy b.1836
Mary Meadows (darker skinned) b. 1833,her sister, married both Robert W.Hardy b.1829 and William A.L.Hardy b. 1827
Information Meadows listed way below-

Grandfather Hardy-"John Hardy b.1740 m. 1773 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia, Ann Williams, dau. of Henry Williams. Death:1799 in Edgefield District, South Carolina. Had 12 children."?? Also have seen her father was Richard Williams b.1730 and Agnes???
2nd wife is Ingram who has two Ingram girls, according to the will.
from mavery@techie.com-
"Military Enlist dte: 3 Apr 1776
Residence: Mechlenburg Co., Virginia
Residence: Edgefield District, South Carolina
Military Service: 5th South Carolina Regiment of the Revolutionary War
Military Service: 30 May 1777 Discharged as a Corporal from May 20, 1776
Will: Edgefield District, South Carolina, Book A, page 164"
First wife Ann Williams , Birth:About.1744 or 1754 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia
Death: After. 1788 in Edgefield District, South Carolina Children:
1.John Hardy b.1774 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia BUT he is not mentioned in the will! He must be dead before 1799 or he does is disowned or disappeared- to this family.
2.Richard Hardy- b. abt. 1775- given a plantation or home before his father died-b.1775 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia d.1843 in Alabama and executor of his father´s will.
3.Daniel "Danie" Hardy b. Jan. 1777 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia d.1842 in Lowndes County, Alabama d.1842 Dallas Co. TX-is this birth date right?
4.Henry Hardy-1778 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia-he either died early or does not belong to this family. He is not in will of father.
5.William Hardy b.1780
6.Sarah "Sally" Hardy b.1781 married Cunningham
7.Robert Hardy-b.1782 -our relation
8.Mary Hardy b.1783 married Allen Anderson
9.John Hardy -in will as under age- named after dead older brother?- (maybe grandson? adopted)
10.Covington Hardy- youngest and to receive main plantation and 300 acres and the mill on Sweet Water (plantation?)b.30 Dec 1788 in Edgefield District, South Carolina d.13 Jul 1851 in Dallas County, Alabama -wife is Clarrisa?
11.Betsey Ingram-stepdaughter-b.
12.Fanny Ingram-stepdaughter-b.

above Robert Hardy-b.1782 our relation-
Robert Hardy came from Edgefield District South Carolina first to the Montgomery area, married 31 JUL 1823 in Montgomery County AL and settled in Coosa County AL. He came with his wife to be Nancy Browning and her brother William Fredederick Browning, and her sister Martha Browning (wife of Daniel Hogan)from SC to AL.
His children were

1.William Allen Lansing Hardy-our relation-b.1827 in Coosa County, (Dollar) Alabama m. Mary MEADOWS 1853 after his brother Robert W. died, leaving her a widow with three boys-William L. Hardy b. 1849,Daniel Hardy b. 1851,Robert Hardy b. 1853.William farmed , owned a grist mill and was postmaster of Dollar post office Coosa Co. in 1890. He and Mary went on to have 9 children-
A.Susan Hardy b.1858
B.Sara Hardy b.1859
C.Stephen Hardy b.1862 our relation d. 1934 married 3 times-http:// www.gencircles.com/users/susanaldridge/7/data/86
D.Nathan Hardy b.1864
E.John Richard Hardy b.1865
F.Didema Hardy b.1865
G.Doran Hardy b.1871
H.Louisa Hardy b. 1873
I.Allen Hardy b. 1875

2.Robert W(illiam?)Hardy b.1829 in Coosa Co.Dollar AL d. abt. 1853 m. Mary MEADOWS before 1849 and had 3 children listed above William L. Hardy b. 1849,Daniel Hardy b. 1851,Robert Hardy b. 1853

3.Allen A. Hardy b. 1832

4.Daniel Hardy b. 1834 d.25 July 1925 m. Betty Allen and had 3 children- Walter William Hardy b.1866, James Hardy, Danie Hardy

5.Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy b. 1836 m.Milous MEADOWS,his father is Ransom Meadows b.25 Dec 1786 in Warren County, North Carolina Death:2 Apr 1863 in Tallapoosa County, Alabama -Ransom Meadows married Sarah Stevens 4 FEB 1808 in Coosa Co., Al
also there is this info from http://www.gencircles.com/users/barefootin/2/ post/9406
“Burial: 1863 Alexander City, Alabama in a large sulpulcher located on two acres of ground that was part of his large plantation. 3 2
Comment 1: At one time he owned more slaves than anyone in Coosa County. 3 2
Comment 2: His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama. Census: 1830 Southern District, Lowndes Co, Alabama, p281 2
Census: 1840 Lowndes Co, Alabama, p229 2
Census: 1850 Nineteenth Twp, Tallapoosa Co, Alabama, p722 2
Census: 1860 Fishpond, Tallapoosa Co, Alabama, p413”
Also from Bobbi de Vore http://www.gencircles.com/users/barefootin/2/ post/9406
“Birth:25 Dec 1786 in Coronade, Warren County, North Carolina 1 1 2 2 3
Death:2 Apr 1863 in Alexander City, Alabama 2 3
Father:Isham Meadows II
Mother:Frances Ann Sherrill
Burial: 1863 Alexander City, Alabama in a large sulpulcher located on two acres of ground that was part of his large plantation. 3 2
Comment 2: His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama”
Also Individual:Ransom Meadows
[292808 Whatley-Cook.FTW]-
“I have some handwritten records that show a Ransome Meadows m. Sarah Stephens 02/04/1808 and had 7 children. The following is an excerpt from personal pages (spelling is as found on original):
Ransom Meadows --- Born December 25, 1786. Died April 2, 1863.
Married Sarah Stephens February 4, 1808. Ransom Meadows was born in Coronade, Warren County, North Carolina. This is near Raleigh, N.C. He and his wife and several other relatives are buried in a large sepulchre or Mausoleum as we call them today. This is located on two acres of ground in Alexander City, Alabama. This was part of his large plantation and a provision was made in his will that if the land was ever divided and sold this two acres could not be included. This sepulchre is built of solid rock and was built by his slaves. At one time he owned more slaves than anyone in Coosa County. His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama.
From these same pages a note near Martha Meadows name says that they are buried in the sepulchre with Ransome and Sarah. I have searched through typed and handwritten notes from relatives past, and have found no references to Martha's children (if any) I hope this helps.
Also Individual: Ransom Meadows b. 15 Dec 1786 (This gentleman lists a Steven Meadows son, too)
[McClellan.GED] Harold E. Weldon- http://www.gencircles.com/users/ wits102/3/data/11531
“After marriage, moved through GA to Mount Meigs, AL where he lived for
one year. Mt. Meigs is 10 miles east of Montgomery on the route of t he
historic old Federal Road, a major traffic artery of it's day.
Moved to Loundes County about 1819 or 1820.
Ransom and all living sons (except William) left Loundensboro and moved
to Talapoosa County to escape malaria and yellow fever. (William outlived
all that left him behind.)
Date of death not known, but buried three miles from Alexander City
(Talapoosa County) 1/4 mile from Elleahatchee (?spelling) near the old
Crow place.
Steven, Tom, and Jerry die d before the move to Talapoosa County. Moses,
Gilbert and Miles burried in cemetery of Primitive Baptist church at
Fishpond, Coosa County, Alabama.
Moses gave the land for the church site, and grave was kept clean, but no
grave marker.”
Children- so much as I could find—and according to jsmeda@hotmail.com at http://www.gencircles.com/users/jsmeda/1/data/10055
A. Gilbert Middleton Meadows b.9 Dec 1818 in Coosa Co., Al
B. Elias Meadows b.23 Feb 1823 in Loundes County, Alabama d. 14 May 1891 in Polk County, Texas -Abbott Cemetery, Asia Community
C. Moses Meadows b.1825 also b. 1818 AL d. 1892Coosa Co AL
D. Sarah Meadows m.Asbury Ogletree 30 JAN 1832 in Loundes County, Alabama died Sept 1836 (Sarah must have been born before 1818)
E. Elizabeth Jane Meadows m. John B. Hardy
F. Milous Meadows
G. Steven Meadows
H. Tom Meadows
I. Martha D. Meadows m. Samuel Farris, one child Sarah Jane Farris
J. Mary Meadows-is this the Mary MEADOWS who married Robert W. Hardy and William Allen Lansing Hardy?
K. William Meadows(looks too late to be born in this family?)b. 1846 d. 1931 m. Angelina Virginia McLendon
L. John Meadows

6.Richard Covington Hardy b. 19 Mar 1838

7.Nathan P. Hardy b. 1842

8.John B(oulton?)Hardy m.Elizabeth Jane MEADOWS,listed above with her brother Milous MEADOWS who married no.5.Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy

Can anyone add anything or correct anything?
Susan aldridge in germany

Re: Hardy's slaves in Alabama South Alabama

Posted: 16 Apr 2003 12:32PM GMT
Surnames: Meadows Hardy
I think I can help you maybe - there are wills from SC with slave names- have you seen them- John Hardy 1740- his sons all inherited slaves,including Robert Hardy 1782 whose will I am waiting for, and some of these brothers moved to AL and their sons married Meadows girls whose father Ransom Meadows had slaves-the most in south AL . Look below. I am looking for an indian connection as the Meadows were dark, high cheeks, and darkstraight hair looking like indians, but i did wonder if any blacks were also in the family.
Notes on Hardy relations of some Meadows children
Elizabeth Jane Meadows married John B. Hardy b. between 1826 and 1836?
Milous Meadows,her brother, married Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy b.1836
Mary Meadows (darker skinned) b. 1833,her sister, married both Robert W.Hardy b.1829 and William A.L.Hardy b. 1827
Information Meadows listed way below-

Grandfather Hardy-"John Hardy b.1740 m. 1773 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia, Ann Williams, dau. of Henry Williams. Death:1799 in Edgefield District, South Carolina. Had 12 children."?? Also have seen her father was Richard Williams b.1730 and Agnes???
2nd wife is Ingram who has two Ingram girls, according to the will.
from mavery@techie.com-
"Military Enlist dte: 3 Apr 1776
Residence: Mechlenburg Co., Virginia
Residence: Edgefield District, South Carolina
Military Service: 5th South Carolina Regiment of the Revolutionary War
Military Service: 30 May 1777 Discharged as a Corporal from May 20, 1776
Will: Edgefield District, South Carolina, Book A, page 164"
First wife Ann Williams , Birth:About.1744 or 1754 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia
Death: After. 1788 in Edgefield District, South Carolina Children:
1.John Hardy b.1774 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia BUT he is not mentioned in the will! He must be dead before 1799 or he does is disowned or disappeared- to this family.
2.Richard Hardy- b. abt. 1775- given a plantation or home before his father died-b.1775 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia d.1843 in Alabama and executor of his father´s will.
3.Daniel "Danie" Hardy b. Jan. 1777 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia d.1842 in Lowndes County, Alabama d.1842 Dallas Co. TX-is this birth date right?
4.Henry Hardy-1778 in Isle of Wright County, Virginia-he either died early or does not belong to this family. He is not in will of father.
5.William Hardy b.1780
6.Sarah "Sally" Hardy b.1781 married Cunningham
7.Robert Hardy-b.1782 -our relation
8.Mary Hardy b.1783 married Allen Anderson
9.John Hardy -in will as under age- named after dead older brother?- (maybe grandson? adopted)
10.Covington Hardy- youngest and to receive main plantation and 300 acres and the mill on Sweet Water (plantation?)b.30 Dec 1788 in Edgefield District, South Carolina d.13 Jul 1851 in Dallas County, Alabama -wife is Clarrisa?
11.Betsey Ingram-stepdaughter-b.
12.Fanny Ingram-stepdaughter-b.

above Robert Hardy-b.1782 our relation-
Robert Hardy came from Edgefield District South Carolina first to the Montgomery area, married 31 JUL 1823 in Montgomery County AL and settled in Coosa County AL. He came with his wife to be Nancy Browning and her brother William Fredederick Browning, and her sister Martha Browning (wife of Daniel Hogan)from SC to AL.
His children were

1.William Allen Lansing Hardy-our relation-b.1827 in Coosa County, (Dollar) Alabama m. Mary MEADOWS 1853 after his brother Robert W. died, leaving her a widow with three boys-William L. Hardy b. 1849,Daniel Hardy b. 1851,Robert Hardy b. 1853.William farmed , owned a grist mill and was postmaster of Dollar post office Coosa Co. in 1890. He and Mary went on to have 9 children-
A.Susan Hardy b.1858
B.Sara Hardy b.1859
C.Stephen Hardy b.1862 our relation d. 1934 married 3 times-http:// www.gencircles.com/users/susanaldridge/7/data/86
D.Nathan Hardy b.1864
E.John Richard Hardy b.1865
F.Didema Hardy b.1865
G.Doran Hardy b.1871
H.Louisa Hardy b. 1873
I.Allen Hardy b. 1875

2.Robert W(illiam?)Hardy b.1829 in Coosa Co.Dollar AL d. abt. 1853 m. Mary MEADOWS before 1849 and had 3 children listed above William L. Hardy b. 1849,Daniel Hardy b. 1851,Robert Hardy b. 1853

3.Allen A. Hardy b. 1832

4.Daniel Hardy b. 1834 d.25 July 1925 m. Betty Allen and had 3 children- Walter William Hardy b.1866, James Hardy, Danie Hardy

5.Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy b. 1836 m.Milous MEADOWS,his father is Ransom Meadows b.25 Dec 1786 in Warren County, North Carolina Death:2 Apr 1863 in Tallapoosa County, Alabama -Ransom Meadows married Sarah Stevens 4 FEB 1808 in Coosa Co., Al
also there is this info from http://www.gencircles.com/users/barefootin/2/ post/9406
“Burial: 1863 Alexander City, Alabama in a large sulpulcher located on two acres of ground that was part of his large plantation. 3 2
Comment 2: His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama. Census: 1830 Southern District, Lowndes Co, Alabama, p281 2
Census: 1840 Lowndes Co, Alabama, p229 2
Census: 1850 Nineteenth Twp, Tallapoosa Co, Alabama, p722 2
Census: 1860 Fishpond, Tallapoosa Co, Alabama, p413”
Also from Bobbi de Vore http://www.gencircles.com/users/barefootin/2/ post/9406
“Birth:25 Dec 1786 in Coronade, Warren County, North Carolina 1 1 2 2 3
Death:2 Apr 1863 in Alexander City, Alabama 2 3
Father:Isham Meadows II
Mother:Frances Ann Sherrill
Burial: 1863 Alexander City, Alabama in a large sulpulcher located on two acres of ground that was part of his large plantation. 3 2
Comment 2: His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama”
Also Individual:Ransom Meadows
[292808 Whatley-Cook.FTW]-
“I have some handwritten records that show a Ransome Meadows m. Sarah Stephens 02/04/1808 and had 7 children. The following is an excerpt from personal pages (spelling is as found on original):
Ransom Meadows --- Born December 25, 1786. Died April 2, 1863.
Married Sarah Stephens February 4, 1808. Ransom Meadows was born in Coronade, Warren County, North Carolina. This is near Raleigh, N.C. He and his wife and several other relatives are buried in a large sepulchre or Mausoleum as we call them today. This is located on two acres of ground in Alexander City, Alabama. This was part of his large plantation and a provision was made in his will that if the land was ever divided and sold this two acres could not be included. This sepulchre is built of solid rock and was built by his slaves. At one time he owned more slaves than anyone in Coosa County. His plantation covered most of what is now known as Alexander City, Alabama.
From these same pages a note near Martha Meadows name says that they are buried in the sepulchre with Ransome and Sarah. I have searched through typed and handwritten notes from relatives past, and have found no references to Martha's children (if any) I hope this helps.
Also Individual: Ransom Meadows b. 15 Dec 1786 (This gentleman lists a Steven Meadows son, too)
[McClellan.GED] Harold E. Weldon- http://www.gencircles.com/users/ wits102/3/data/11531
“After marriage, moved through GA to Mount Meigs, AL where he lived for
one year. Mt. Meigs is 10 miles east of Montgomery on the route of t he
historic old Federal Road, a major traffic artery of it's day.
Moved to Loundes County about 1819 or 1820.
Ransom and all living sons (except William) left Loundensboro and moved
to Talapoosa County to escape malaria and yellow fever. (William outlived
all that left him behind.)
Date of death not known, but buried three miles from Alexander City
(Talapoosa County) 1/4 mile from Elleahatchee (?spelling) near the old
Crow place.
Steven, Tom, and Jerry die d before the move to Talapoosa County. Moses,
Gilbert and Miles burried in cemetery of Primitive Baptist church at
Fishpond, Coosa County, Alabama.
Moses gave the land for the church site, and grave was kept clean, but no
grave marker.”
Children- so much as I could find—and according to jsmeda@hotmail.com at http://www.gencircles.com/users/jsmeda/1/data/10055
A. Gilbert Middleton Meadows b.9 Dec 1818 in Coosa Co., Al
B. Elias Meadows b.23 Feb 1823 in Loundes County, Alabama d. 14 May 1891 in Polk County, Texas -Abbott Cemetery, Asia Community
C. Moses Meadows b.1825 also b. 1818 AL d. 1892Coosa Co AL
D. Sarah Meadows m.Asbury Ogletree 30 JAN 1832 in Loundes County, Alabama died Sept 1836 (Sarah must have been born before 1818)
E. Elizabeth Jane Meadows m. John B. Hardy
F. Milous Meadows
G. Steven Meadows
H. Tom Meadows
I. Martha D. Meadows m. Samuel Farris, one child Sarah Jane Farris
J. Mary Meadows-is this the Mary MEADOWS who married Robert W. Hardy and William Allen Lansing Hardy?
K. William Meadows(looks too late to be born in this family?)b. 1846 d. 1931 m. Angelina Virginia McLendon
L. John Meadows

6.Richard Covington Hardy b. 19 Mar 1838

7.Nathan P. Hardy b. 1842

8.John B(oulton?)Hardy m.Elizabeth Jane MEADOWS,listed above with her brother Milous MEADOWS who married no.5.Mary Ann Elizabeth Hardy

Can anyone add anything or correct anything?
Susan aldridge in germany

Posted: 30 Jul 2003 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2003 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Hardy
Do you think there might be any connection between your Hardys of Alabama and Stephen Coleman Hardy of Troup County, Georgia? He was born 15 Aug 1813 in Troup County, married Levisa Smith in Troup County, and Died 1 Nov 1875 in Troup County. So far I have had no success in finding his ancestors.

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 9:25AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2006 7:14AM GMT
Surnames: Hardy
Yes, I do think so, because they stoped along the way, in georgia, before moving on to Alabama and Louisiana. Robert Hardy was in green Co., GA because he took his future wife who was born in Green Co GA with him to Alabama where he married her. Then they came back to SC to his plantation where he had his first son. Then they went back again to Al. The Hardys started out in Old 96th District SC and the Lemuel clan NC in about 1818 and started moving into former Indian Lands. Have you seen my notes. My computer is not working properly right now and I can not open Word and have to find a way to reinstall, otherwise i would paste stuff in. susan

Posted: 26 Sep 2004 6:23PM GMT
Some of my husband's ancestors were Hardys in Alabama. The name I have is Kinch Hardy who was born in 1853 in Alabama. He shows up in Texas in the 1880s. I am not sure about the county. There was a black civil war soldier named kuicken hardy from Alabama.

Posted: 25 May 2006 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: Hardy/Hardley in Alabama
Looking for distant relatives of Becks who were born in Louisiana and migrated to Camden, Alabama around 1866.

These brothers and sister were born around 1835-1850: Frank, July, Nelson, Elias, Jacob, Clem, and Susan. In Alabama census records, they are listed as colored, black, and mulatto.

July Beck, married Norma John a. 1873-1877.

Elias was married to an Emeline; children Eddy, Davis, Gabe, Sam and Allen.
Frank was a barber, married to Sarah ; children Bette, John and Margret.

Susan Beck, my great, great, great grandmother, married Joseph Sumter/Sumpter; children Charlie Sumpter and Katherine (Kate) Sumpter.

Kate Sumpter, my great-great grandmother married Peter Hardley, Sr. They lived and died in Camden, Al in Wilcox County.

Some family members are using Hardy and others, Hardley.

Posted: 25 May 2006 7:14AM GMT
Surnames: Hardy/Hardley in Alabama
Looking for distant relatives of Becks who were born in Louisiana and migrated to Camden, Alabama around 1866.

These brothers and sister were born around 1835-1850: Frank, July, Nelson, Elias, Jacob, Clem, and Susan. In Alabama census records, they are listed as colored, black, and mulatto.

July Beck, married Norma John a. 1873-1877.

Elias was married to an Emeline; children Eddy, Davis, Gabe, Sam and Allen.
Frank was a barber, married to Sarah ; children Bette, John and Margret.

Susan Beck, my great, great, great grandmother, married Joseph Sumter/Sumpter; children Charlie Sumpter and Katherine (Kate) Sumpter.

Kate Sumpter, my great-great grandmother married Peter Hardley, Sr. They lived and died in Camden, Al in Wilcox County. Interesting, some use Hardy and others use Hardley.

susan (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2006 8:09AM GMT
When I lived in SC I used to have some conversations with some descendants of slaves - their pronunciation of some words and the family names was different than the white people. I do not know why, but seemed a dialect of sorts. Sometimes I could hardly understand them, so I imagine that would be the same cause for the Hardley spelling. They are probably Hardys. I do remember that they used "ax" for ask and never used the k. as in "ass ke" as I would say it. But it is so long ago, my memory fails me for other examples.

I am assuming that after being freed the family ran back to a place they knew. Maybe a plantation where they were born or a former owner near where they had relatives. Do you know? . Gabe is Gabriel..

The only Johns in Wilcox in 1870 are a pair Garner John 47 and wife Catherine 40 born in NC and their 2 young children ALbert 4 and Porphena 2. So maybe they were somewhere else in 1870 and came to stay with garner after that. Any ideas?
Susan

There were hundreds of Becks. Gabe is in Canton but the PO is Camden.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic