Search for content in message boards

Preston S. Brooks/Mexican War Soldier

Preston S. Brooks/Mexican War Soldier

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 8:06PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2002 11:37PM GMT
Anyone looking for Preston S. Brooks? I'm not related. I came across this while searching my family. Preston. s, Brooks, Born in Edgefield Village,Edgefield,SC 8/6/1819. Elected to the State Legislature in 1844. Elected Captain of Co. D., Palmetto regiment, in 1846, and served during the Mexican War. Elected to congress in 1853, and died in Washington City, Jan. 27, 1857. Great info. Someone must claim!!!

Preston Smith Brooks

jackie brooks blalock (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 7:32PM GMT
Yes, I will claim. Please send me any info you have. He is in my family line. Did you also discover that he was fired from the senate in 1853 for hitting the MA senator or representative with his walking cane? This info is in the South Carolina School History books.

Preston Brooks/// Jackie

Posted: 28 Jul 2000 3:16PM GMT
Jackie, This is all that I have. If you would like a copy I'll be glad to send it by mail. Are they anything else that I can look up for you? If so let me know..

Preston Brooks

Jackie Blalock (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2000 8:21PM GMT
Thanks, If you happen across info Jacob Brooks in South Carolina I will be interested. He is my direct line. I know he was in Edgeville Co, SC and died in 1774 but have been unable to locate where he might be buried. Thanks, Jackie

Jacob Brooks for Jackie

Posted: 28 Jul 2000 10:18PM GMT
Jackie, What state are you in?. I'm in Greenwood, SC. about 35 miles from Edgfield, SC. If you can get your hands on a SC. Cemetery book, and if you know how to use it, it will tell you where he is buried. If you can't let me know I'll go to the Library tomorrow and search for you.
Nora@inetgenesis.com

Jacob Brooks

Jackie Brooks Blalock (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2000 7:30PM GMT
Thanks. I live in Columbus, GA now. Grew up in Alabama, but lived in Charleston, SC for 20 years before Navy Base closed and was transferred here. I started researching family recently, and much to my surprise I find my ancestry is in South Carolina. I would appreciate any help. My sister and I are planning a trip to Charleston sometime soon to do some research there. Plus I'll use any excuse to go back. I miss Charleston alot and probably will move back upon retirement.

Would appreciate any help if its not too much trouble for you.

thanks Jackie B.

Reply to Jackie Brooks Blalock

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 8:22PM GMT
Jackie, I'll go to the Library next week and research for you. Be glad to help..send me your e-mail, I might need help in your area.
Nora@inetgenesis.com
Norma...

Jacob Brooks

jackie Blalock (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2000 4:41PM GMT
It's jblalo@bellsouth.net. Be glad to help in any way I can. Forunately, Columbus has a very good geneology library at public library. Thanks for your help too.

Jackie B.

Reply to Jackie on Jacob Brooks

Posted: 30 Jul 2000 4:52PM GMT
Thanks Jackie... I might get to go to the Library tomorrow night. Will be glad to check on Jacob Brooks, will try to find out what church, cemetery and any obit. in paper for you..
Norma

Jacob Brooks

jackie blalock (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2000 6:28PM GMT
Thanks, by the way I went back over some of my research and found reference to Mary Brooks, daughter of Jacob Brooks, Jr. and Mary Jordon, married to William Yarborough, is buried in Long Cane Cemetary in Abbeville Co., SC. Died in 1835. This may be the cemetary that all are buried in.

Thanks for all your help.

Jackie B.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions