Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Thornton? Married to Leon Powers

Elizabeth Thornton? Married to Leon Powers

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thornton Powers
I am trying to track down the parents or additional information for my grandmother "Mary Elizabeth Thornton" or "Elizabeth Thornton" who married Leon Powers b. Aug 21, 1916 in Cortland County, NY.

If anyone has information please let me know.

Re: Elizabeth Thornton? Married to Leon Powers

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: THORNTON, THORINGTON
Elizabeth was the 2nd of 4 children of William Robert "Will" Thornton and his wife Louise E. White Thornton. The others were Stephen, Donald & Robert. Will Thornton was born in Solon, NY on 11 Apr. 1888, son of Stephen H. & Harriet (English) Thornton, and died at Highgate Nursing Home, Cortland, NY 28 July 1987. Stephen shortened his name, by court order, from Thorington. He was son of Wm H. & Ursula (Sherman) Thorington of Solon, and grandson of Gideon & Sophronia (Neff) Thorington of Taylor, NY.

I was present at Will Thornton's 95th birthday party at Highgate Nursing Home in Cortland. I had known him for years. Also present was Will's kid brother, Arthur Thornton, then age 90.

My wife is a Thorington descendant. E-mail me at CrankshawDavec@aol.com for further info.

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: POWERS, THORNTON, WILLIAMS, OWINGS
died 26 Sept. 1973
OBITUARY, 1973-Cortland Standard -- Elizabeth T. Powers, Solon Native Dies - Mrs. Elizabeth Thornton Powers, 62, of 505 Saluda Ave., Columbia, S.C. died Wednesday at her home. She was born in Solon, the daughter of William Thornton and the late Louise White Kean. She is survived by her husband, Leon Powers of Columbia, her father, William Thornton of Cortland; a son, Ronald Powers of Columbia; three daughters, Miss Mary Powers and Mrs. Evelyn Williams, both of Columbia, and Mrs. James (Janet) Owings of Potomac, Md.; and four grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are incomplete and are being handled by the Dunbar Funeral Home in Columbia. Memorial contributions in Mrs. Powers' memory may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 12:15AM GMT
Perfect! Thank you! Exactly what I needed to backtrack. Emailed you separately.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions