Search for content in message boards

Chester County, Pennsylvania Jones of Quaker faith (1794)

Chester County, Pennsylvania Jones of Quaker faith (1794)

Posted: 14 Jul 2004 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones
I do not have a lot of information to go on, and could use some help by someone further along in their Jones knowledge.
I have a copy of the Jones section of the book written in 1895 by Ezra Eby on Early Waterloo Settlers and their Descendants. In that book he states that John Jones was born Dec 27, 1794 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He says that John was of English descent and that his forefathers belonged to the "Society of Friends", or Quakers.
I also can share the link to the site that has this book online and viewable, page by page. John Jones and his family are on pages 837 & 838.

I do not even have a middle initial to further aide my search into his ancestry. I have contacted a gentleman in Pennsylvania that has been doing some look ups for me, but nothing of that year matches to my John. He has found a John Jones that was born in 1790 to a John and Hannah Jones that were also Quakers, but even the tombstone of my John Jones points to his birth year as 1794.

My John Jones married Martha Saltzberger/Saltzberry in 1820 in the town of Preston, Ontario, Canada. John Jones died in 1859 and was buried in Blenheim Mennonite Cemetery in Ontario, Canada. John and Martha Jones had 15 children:
Mary died in infancy,
Magdalena born Feb 10, 1828, she married Rudolph Bechtel
Absalom born circa 1829, he married Veronica Honsberger
Sarah, she married Franklin Roat
Susannah born Feb 1830, she married Jeremiah Hembling
Veronica died in infancy,
Amos born July 24, 1833, married three times:Magdalena "Mollie" Herrington, Anna Culp, Barbara Bechtel
Barbara born Nov 30, 1835,she married Christian Rosenberger
Catharine born June 7, 1837, she married David Bock
Elizabeth (mine) born circa 1841/42 married Noah Hammacher
Henry died young,
Lucy died young,
John circa 1842, married Catharine Sugars
Hannah born circa 1843/44, she married George Wing
Nancy born April 10, 1845 married Samuel Rudy

Perhaps he was converted to the Mennonite faith while he lived there, or by his wife and her family. I do not know.

Is there anyone out there that can lend me a hand with this branch of the family tree? Any cousins out there? I paid a researcher in Ontario to do some Jones research for me, and so I do know a little more about the grandchildren of John Jones and even a bit about some of his great grandchildren.

Places that his children and grandchildren ended up migrating to:
Sebawaing, Michigan
Van Buren County, Michigan
Caladonia, Kent County, Michigan
Port County, Indiana
Porter County, Indiana
Elkhart County, Indiana
Thielen, Wisconisn
Porter, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania

Re: Chester County, Pennsylvania Jones of Quaker faith (1794)

JEFF DENLINGER (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 2:55PM GMT
Hello. My name is Jeff Denlinger. I'm new at this computer and historical research . I've been fixing up an old tavern in Gap, Pa. Recently evidence has turned up that this was built by Francis Jones when Lancaster county was part of Chester county in1726. [Lancaster county was formed in 1729 I think. } Gap is two miles from the present Chester county line.on Rt. 41. Francis had a son John . I found Francis' name once under Jones by looking up surnames on a genealogy search site possibly www.family tree magazine.com. Francis came from Burlington county ,Nj. and before that Ireland. I hope this produces some information for you. The Saisbury township Historical Society has done some research on this Jones family so keep in touch.

sincerely
Jeffrey Landis Denlinger

Mary Hamacher Beghtel (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2004 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Dear Jeffrey,
Your work on the old Tavern sounds exciting to my ears. My husband and I both love to work on the old stuff. Hard work though, as nothing is square or level. I would love to see photos of your Tavern as you go. Am willing to send you money to pay for it, even.
My John Jones was born in Chester County, Pa in 1794, and so far, I have not found any concrete evidence of who his parents were, only a reference in a book written in 1896 that he came from a long line of Quakers, and nothing further, but that was more than I had previously, so can not complain.
If you desire to do so, I can be reached directly at MQuiltr2@aol.com We just returned home from evacuating from Hurricane Ivan. The property is a mess, with a tornado that went through our back yard, tore up almost every tree on the property as well as part of the rear of the house. The entire county looks like a war zone. But we have water and power again, so things will return to normal soon enough. I love to make progress, in any degree, on my family tree. Thank you very much for the information.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 4:07AM GMT
I am related to Francis Jones that you are talking about. The historical society that you are talking about, where is it located and do you have a number that I may reach them at? I know there are other buildings that were standing by 1960 that were built by some of Francis's sons.

Missy

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 5:42PM GMT
The old tavern you fixed up belonged to my family, seven generations back. Any information you might have found would be greatly appreciated. And if you have any pictures that would be wonderful. There are a couple of us in the family that have been trying to get the family history done. Pictures can be emailed to me at rdabner@sfmc-gi.org. Can't believe I just found your thread.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions