Search for content in message boards

WWII Death Casualty

WWII Death Casualty

Craig Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2001 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson
Looking for more information on a Litchfield County veteran who died in Italy during WWII. Would like to know the Battery to which Malcolm P. Johnson (Army Serial Number 31 168 908) was assigned when he died on 24-Feb-1944. Johnson was a private serving with the 125th Field Artillery Battalion - 34th Division when he died from what is believed to be a non-battle-related injury. It is believed that Johnson had been awarded a Bronze Star medal (date and circumstances are unknown). Johnson is buried at the American cemetery at Nettuno, Italy. He may have a marker at a local cemetery though.

This information will be used to help complete the listings of the wartime death casualties for the 34th Division. These listings can be viewed at the webpage address below.

http://34thdivdeathcasualties.homestead.com/homepage.html

Re: WWII Death Casualty

Posted: 8 Nov 2001 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2003 1:47AM GMT
There is a stone in the Washington Green Cemetery in Washington, CT for Malcolm P. Johnson. It reads:
World War II/ Malcolm P. Johnson/ HQ. BTRY. 125th F.A.BN/
Died Feb. 24, 1944/Age 23/ Buried in Italy.
This stone is located between stones of John A. Peterson and his wife Ida C. Ohlson and Jennie E. Peterson wife of Carl E. Johnson and Carl E. Johnson.
Hope this helps. If anyone needs dates for the other stones I have them.
Fran

Craig Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2001 12:41AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Malcolm Johnson was the only remaining death casualty for the 125th FA Battalion (during February 1944) for whom I did not know the Battery Assignment. That helped a lot. If you know of any of his family still in the area who may know more about Johnson please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Craig

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 8:48PM GMT
About 11 years late on this message thread. The Gunn Museum here in Washington, CT has Malcolm Philip Johnson's wallet in their collection. A person at the Gunn Museum who has just cataloging Malcolm P Johnson's wallet today for the Gunn Museum's collection had asked me to investigate Johnson's military record. The posts in this message thread were most helpful in determining Johnson's WW II military record. Thanks a lot.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic