Search for content in message boards

James KNOWLES of Long Island from Damon KNOWLES of Bermuda?

James KNOWLES of Long Island from Damon KNOWLES of Bermuda?

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 10:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knowles
James Knowles (c. 1735-1806) is my 6th-great-grandfather. I've not been able to find anything definitive regarding his parentage.

I have come across some websites that say James was a 3rd-great-grandson of Damon KNOWLES of Southampton, Bermuda, and that his ancestry back to Bermuda is Damon -> Damon -> Robert -> Robert -> Samuel -> James Knowles of Nassau/Long Island.

None of it is ever cited, however, and no one writing it ever replies to my e-mails.

So does anyone know the story? Is this accurate?

Re: James KNOWLES of Long Island from Damon KNOWLES of Bermuda?

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 1:22AM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2012 1:23AM GMT
James Alexander Knowles, Sr is my 6th great-grandfather also. I have been unable to confirm any information past James, except for generic information about the Samuel, Robert, Robert, Damon, Damon connection.

Are you from James' line with Patience Darville (like me) or Hannah Campbell? My family line is listed in the Bahamas DNA project, and James is the farthest back they have also. We are still searching though.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 9:31AM GMT
Hi do you have his exact date of birth? I will attempt a look up. If you know the parish of which he was born would be helpful.

Cheers.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 9:45AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2012 9:46AM GMT
Surnames: Knowles
Thanks for replying here, because it's a good reminder for me to update this post!

It looks like we've at least partially debunked the Damon KNOWLES theory through the Bahamas DNA Project/Bahamas Genealogy Group. Everything I know about James KNOWLES at this time can be found at http://www.geni.com/people/James-Knowles-Sr/6000000013538327...

It's certainly still possible that there's a Bermuda connection, which would make sense given Bahamian history, but it doesn't appear possible for Samuel to have been James' father. Thanks for your offer to help!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions