Search for content in message boards

Obituary lookup please

Obituary lookup please

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Nass
Looking for obituary for Orville J Nass, died Nov. 5, 1939 in Antigo, WI.

Thank you for any assistance.

Re: Obituary lookup please

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 1:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
There are more articles dealing with Skidmore's conviction, but I did not include them. Hope this helps. RP
------------
Sheboygan Press | Sheboygan, Wisconsin | Monday, November 06, 1939 | Page 1

Farmer Held After Slaying Near Antigo
Self-Defense Is Expected To Be Plea Of Man Accused Of Slaying Young Lumberjack

Antigo, Wis. — (JP) — Sheriff Elmer Frey today quoted James Blaine Skidmore, 56-year-old farmer, as saying he would plead self defense when arraigned tomorrow on a charge of murdering Orville Nass, 21, husky lumberjack friend of Skidmore's 20-year-old daughter.
Nass was shot and wounded fatally about 1:30 a. m. Sunday in the rear of Suick's dance hall near Pearson, 20 miles from here. He died in an Antigo hospital about 9 a. m.
Frey said the two had been at a dance following the wedding of Skidmore's son, Bernard. They got into an argument and went back of the hall to "have it out," the sheriff said. He would not reveal the cause of the argument except that it concerned the daughter.
Four persons witnessed the shooting by chance, Frey said. He quoted Nass as telling Skidmore that "I'll go the limit with you." Skidmore then stepped back three paces and fired one shot from a .32 pistol into Nass' left eye, Frey said.
Skidmore got into a car with another son, James, and the latter's wife, and came to the sheriff's office. Frey quoted him as saying, "I want you to put me in jail. I've killed a man at Pearson."
-------------
This obit was taken from a long list which included other persons deaths....

Appleton Post Crescent | Appleton, Wisconsin | Monday, November 06, 1939 | Page 9

Other victims were:
Orville Nass, 21, Langlade county.

Nass, a lumberjack, was shot to death early Sunday outside a dance-hall in Langlade county. Sheriff Elmer H. Frey said James Blaine Skidrnore, 56, a farmer, surrendered after the shooting and that a warrant charging murder was issued.
Nass was the son of the late Joseph Nass, former Cintonville resident. Survivors are his mother and two sisters, Mrs. Victor Landrue, Crandon, and Miss Doris Nass, Long Prairie, Minn.

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 1:24AM GMT
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Mary Olson

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 10:51AM GMT
Interesting. There may be an obituary in the Crandon papers as his mother lived there. I will try to do a look-up for you asap.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 11:35AM GMT
Thank you. I think there also may be one in the Antigo newspaper if anyone has access to those archives. I greatly appreciate your help!

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:07PM GMT
From the Crandon newspaper.
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:10PM GMT
The resolution isn't the greatest. Please email info@crandonpl.org with your direct email and we will send a better scan.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 1:58AM GMT
Thank you for your help! I have requested a clearer copy, but the one you sent helps greatly.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic