Search for content in message boards

PORTER DAVID PHILIP OF VA

PORTER DAVID PHILIP OF VA

Posted: 17 Nov 2000 8:35AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2002 6:24PM GMT
Looking for family that may be related to my ancestors. David Porter b. abt 1730 in VA
Philip b. 1750 in VA, and married Nancy Sexton. Died in KY. 1851.
We are told the family came from England but cannot get back past Philip and David.

Inquiry from Dottie Porter Hines re Virginia Porters

Gary Porter (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 8:28AM GMT
My father, Keith Porter, tells me that we came from Virginia after Washington's victory over Cornwallis at Yorktown in (I believe) 1781. The were two Porters who arrived in the Jamestown colony in the early 1620's named Peter and Abraham or Abram. They appear on census lists in 1623 and 1624. This was during or shortly after the Pocahontas period, very very early.

The Porters appear to have been prolific and active on both sides of every great event. Porters supported both the revolutionaries and the British. My family came to Canada after the revolution as supporters of England. Now in Ontario there are a large number of us. My father tels me that of those who stayed in the United States, some were to be found on both sides of the civil war. It is his understanding (based on oral tradition in our family), that some of the virginian porters moved north to New England and served as officers in the Union army. One of them hetells me was a general on the staff of Ulysses S Grant and was at Appomattox during Lee's surrender. I found that there was such a man, but cannot prove he is in our lineal ancestry. Of course there was also Admiral David Porter of the federal navy who work with Grant during the seige of Vicksburg on the Mississipi in 1863. Again I cannot prove a direct link.

If we do descend from the Virginia Porters then we are almost certainly relatives.

I was born in 1945 in eastern Ontario and for many years now have operated my own practice as a Chartered Accountant in Toronto, Ontario.

I hope the Jamestown aspect proves helpful. I would be very pleased to learn what you know or find out.

Gary Porter

Porters from VA

Posted: 29 Nov 2000 2:32PM GMT
Your reply was interesting. Our Porters are traced back to Philip Porter b. abt 1750 married to Nancy Ann Sexton. His father may be David Porter, not proved yet. They went to KY and he died in Spencer Co., KY
I was born in 1938 in Dayton, OH and have been working on the Porters/Clements and my husband's side for over 20 years. Phillip's sons were:
John G. Porter, William E. Porter, James Porter, Henry B. Porter "Dr", Charles Porter,
Alfred Porter, and Katherine Porter. If you can make any connections, let me know.
Yes I know about Admiral David Porter, but have not been able to link him as our David Porter. Good Luck with all your hunting. If I find more information, I will let you know. My email is : djhimes@ipa.net

Porters from VA/KY

Dana (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 2:41PM GMT
Our Porter ancestors were from Fayette County KY. James Porter, born 8/2/1789 married Rebecca Chrisman, born 7/30/1802 they were married 11/18/1818. This caught my eye because Rebecca's family was from VA. We don't have much information on James Porter's father, we believe his name was John P. Porter who married Elizabeth McDowell. The records I have indicate they lived near Winchester, VA. My dates are much later that yours. Do you have other information on children of David and/or Philip?

James John P Porter in VA

Posted: 29 Nov 2000 6:47PM GMT
Hello, We have be related. Nothing definite, but you mention a James Porter born 8-2-1789, son of John P. Porter.
We have Philip b. abt 1750 who could be John P.(Philip) Porter as many families named their sons John.
Philip had a John G. Porter 1st son born before 1798; (which could have been named after him "John" 2nd son William E. b. before 1799
3rd son James b. before 1800 (which could be your James. Then 4th son was Henry B. Porter, b. 1800 in VA --A Doctor and my ggg grpa who married Mary Burch.
Henry B. and Mary Porter had:
1. Guy Henry Porter I b. 7-12-1835 in New Haven, KY Marion Co.
they had: James Henry Porter b. 7-30-1861
John Jos. b. 10-9-1863; Francis Emmanuel b. 1-15-1866; Guy Thomas b. 2-24-1866; Annie b. 1-14-1870; Elizabeth Ellen Porter 5-16-1872 who m Joseph Charles Hagan; Emily Gertrude b. 7-12-1874; and Theresa b 12-12-1877
5th 6th 7th children of Philip continuing were
Charles Porter b. after 1801
Alfred Porter b. after 1802
Katherine Porter b. after 1803.

The only problem that I see is that you said
John P. Porter married Elizabeth McDowell.
We have that Philip Porter married Nancy Ann and not positive but Researchers think her last name was Sexton.
We do not know anything about David, my cousins hired a Researcher who came up with David but we are still not sure.
Perhaps you can put this information together and we can connect. I do not have families names or information on John G.; William E, James, Charles, Alfred and Katherine.

Hope we can work together.
Dottie Porter Himes

Va Porters

sunny (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2001 10:45AM GMT
This, I've compiled. Sanuel Porter nee ABT 1742 Castlewood, Russell, Va. d. OOA 8 Mar 1820 Russell Va. Married Elizabeth Dunkin nee ABT 1744 Westmoreland, Va. died after 1815. They had a son, Samuel G. Porter 1781 or 84 Rutherford Tn died 1843 in Cass Mo. He had a son Hugh A. Porter nee 1826 or 28 in Rutherford Tn, married Mary Susan Gibson nee 1 or 4/20/35 d. 5/27/1912 married 9/28/1854. this marriage issued 11 children of which I believe 9 lived to adulthood. She is buried at Blue Springs Cemetary, Blue Springs, Mo. which is literally LITTERED with Porters.

Re: Va Porters

Gloria Jean Shay (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2001 12:53PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Williams Gibson
My grandmother was Bessie May Porter b Jan 23,1892 d/o Silas W. Porter b Oct 31, 1860 m Joseph (Jodie) E. Williams and grand daughter of Hugh Alexander Porter b Jan 27,1827 Rutherford Co., TN and d March 6, 1915 Jackson Co., MO m Susan Mary Gibson. I believe we are of the same family. Contact me GmpiGma@home.com
I still live in Jackson Co., MO.
Jean

Re: Va Porters

Posted: 18 Jul 2001 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Porter
In regard to your message. You said you thought we may be related. My ancestral grandfather was Philip Porter b abt 1750 in VA died 1831 in Spencer Co. KY m Nancy Ann Sexton b 1766 in VA d 1850 in Spencer Co. KY,. My cousins hired a researcher and we believe Philip's father is David. However, most of the family migrated to KY. We do not have any Porters to our knowledge in MO and TN but would love to hear from you if you think we are related. Please reply to djhimes@ipa.net.
(sorry for the delay in answering but we have been out of town and just got home.
Dottie Porter Himes

Re: James John P Porter in VA

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Note, I am DottiePorterHimes and my email has changed to
dottiehimes@att.net
I am still searching for the parents of Philip Porter and now know that he was born 1754 in Alexandria, Fairfax Co. Va
You mentioned in a prior post Nov 2000 that John P. Porter married Elizabeth McDowell, and he had a son James Porter.
My Philip Porter could have been twice, not sure, but he was b. 1754 and m. abt 1786 to Nancy Ann Brent b. 1766 so she may have been a 2nd wife, have no idea. They also had a son James b. 8-2-1787 in VA. They were in VA, and went to Taylorsville, Ky around 1804-1810.
Email me personally and we can share more to see if our Porters connect. Thank you Dottie Porter Himes

Re: Philip Porter b 1754 Alexandria, Fairfax Co. VA

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello I am Dottie or Dorothy (Porter) Himes. note several messages before with prior email addresses. We have now moved to TX and my email is himesd12@gmail.com
I am still looking for the parents of Philip Porter b. 1754 in Alexandria, Fairfax Co. VA..up to date birth year and place by cousin Amy Lorson. He and Nancy Ann Brent moved to Taylorsville, KY Shelby Co. after 1804 not sure what year. Later the county name changed to Spencer Co. KY where Philip Porter died in 1831. If you have any info,I would be so grateful as I have been searching since 1972.
Yes 1972 but I have not given up. Dottie (Porter)Himes
or you could call me at 361-241-2325
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions