Search for content in message boards

Hall Family Research

Hall Family Research

Posted: 13 Jul 2002 10:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Aug 2003 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: Hall
I am researching my Halls. My g-grandfather was Elbridge H. Hall, probably from the White Oak Area. He was married to Martha Jennette Bramble in 1849. They have been my research brickwall. Should you have Anything that would be of help to me it would be greatly appreciated. Jane

Re: Hall Family Research

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: hall
JANE,
I have been doing research on the Hall's in Bladen and Sampson Co. I have been looking for information on a Barnabas Hall that was in Sampson Co in the early part of the 1800's. While looking for information on that Barnabas Hall, I ran across some information on another Barnabas from Bladen Co and I think it is what you are looking for. It is as follows: 1 april 1834, George Cromartie, Esq. sheriff of Bladen Co. to Eldridge Hall, Harriet Hall, Luther Hall, and Mary Jane Hall, heirs of Barnebas Hall, dec'd...fi fa returnable to Feb. term 1831.. directed to Samuel Cain late sheriff, now deceased, of Bladen Co. in favor of William McIntire to the use of Hirom Robinson against Jasper Chason, Henry Nunry,
Barnabas Hall, Bartram Bryan and Steven Holingsworth, a certain parcel of land on E. side of Harrison's Creek adj lands of Richard Singletary cont. 200 acres..sold Feb Term 1831 and Barnabas Hall became last and highest bidder and whereas Barnabas Hall has died leaving the sd Eldridge, Harriet,Luther and Mary Jane his heirs. Witness K. McLeod, John Loyed McKay. Aug term 1834.

Hope this helps. I know the spelling may be one letter off from Eldridge to Elbridge but I do think they are the same. If you have anything on Raford Hall b 1814 d 1849, all help would be appreciated.

Peggy Hall

Irma H Dean (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2002 8:55PM GMT
Peggy,

Can't remember if we have written before. Want to check in again if so. I would like to document the info on Barnabus Hall of the 1800's. Could you refer me to the place to find this?
I am stuck on my Halls also. I believe I saw in a listing of Barnabus family a Raiford Hall (sr?) This Hall might have come to Ala. very early along with some Davis families and Halls and Bedsoles. They all arrived the same time it seems. My 2nd great grandfather was Wilson Hall born about early 1800's. Poor thing he has no father, so far. I am thinking this Barnabus and Raiford might be family. I believe your Raford is kin also. My Wilson is in 1830 Bladen Co NC census. Can you help???
Irma Hall Dean

Posted: 21 Oct 2002 10:39PM GMT
Irma,
Can't remember if we have written either. I have a copy of where the land of Barnabas Hall was distributed to his children in 1814. I believe he died between May 1811 and May 1812. In May 22, 1811 Barnabas Hall deeded land to William Hall for 150 acres, proven by a Jesse Nealms according to the court minutes of Sampson Co. On May 1812 William Hall was made administrator of the Barnabas Hall estate and it states that he is the son of Barnabas. Other children are listed as Nathan, Keziah (Owen Hall her husband drew her lot),Raiford, found in the Sampson Co census of 1850 and other years prior to that, he never left the state that I know of. Other children of Barnabas are Rachel,Hester, Catherine, Allen,(who died in 1829 and was married to Anna Mary Hair possibly the daughter of Martin Hair.) Tobias, Henry, and Matthew, (who sold his land to his sister Jane in 1832 and possibly left area.) I am looking for the father of Raiford Halls in the 1840 census of Sampson Co. He is either the son of William or Mathew, I believe but have no proof. He is on the same page with Duncan, Moses and Reddin Hall so I suppose they lived near by or were related in some way. In reference to your info on a Wilson Hall, I am not positive that this is the person your are referring to or not but it is possible. A Burrell Wilson fathered a bastard child on the body of a Sarah Hall according to the Sampson Co cout minutes of Aug 20 1810 and he offered as his security on the 200 pound bond a Phillip Tew and Matthew Strickland. Hope this helps you. I am trying to connect some dots in another area. By any chance do you know the father of Enoch Hall shown on the 1850 in Bladen Co as being 72 yrs old and a Thomas H. Hall in same census and county living with son James W. Hall. Thomas is abt 70 in that census. I wonder if they are brothers and if there are any others Halls in Bladen Co. related to these two. Thanks for any info on this as I think there is a connection somewhere up a generation or two, with Barnabas.
Peggy Hall

Irma H Dean (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 12:50AM GMT
Peggy,

Thanks so much for the info. Somewhere I had gotten the list of old Barnabus' children--can't remember where. I saw the Raiford and have been trying to make him the one that came to Lowndes Co AL before 1850. He is listed as 78 yrs old and living alone. Not in the 1860 census. This Raiford gave his property to his dtr., Sarah, who married John Davis for his keep until his death. Wasn't sure the kin to my Wilson. Maybe Wilson came about the way you described and the line is broken there.
Where do you live? I write to a Blannie Hall of Garland, NC. She is abt. 86 yrs old but she descends from Thomas H Hall and has never known who his father was. She does say that the young Raiford Hall that mrd. Drucilla Culbreath is of that family. He had a sister Patience that mrd. a William Davis of the same area.
I do not know Enoch Hall's father. Somehow the younger Barnabus and Thomas H were close neighbors to my Wilson in 1830. When Raiford Hall (older) came to Ala. he settled land close to the Davises and also close to Wilson. They attended the same church and are mentioned in the church minutes. There was a John W, George W, Hardy R, and Anna Mariah in the first family of Wilson. His wife and one child died and he remarried in abt 1846 to my grgrgrandmother. They had a very large family. There is a marriage license in 1824 in Cumberland Co for Wilson Hall and Jane Bryant. Church records show a Wilson Hall and a Mary Jane Hall joining the church in 1832. I have been at a standstill forever on Wilson. If anyone knows anything I wish they would share. Thanks again,
Irma

Posted: 23 Oct 2002 7:42PM GMT
Irma,
Just saw your response and your info was very interesting. I see that Raiford who lived in Alabama did have a daughter named Sarah which could be the Sarah who gave birth to an illigitimate child, Wilson. The only thing is according to the Sampson Co court mins is that Burrell Wilson and Sarah Hall's child was born in 1810. According the 1850 census, Wilson was born in 1801. I am not sure about the difference in years now, so my suggestion about Wilson's parentage is probably incorrect. Do you have any parentage on the Mary Jane Bryant that Wilson married. I am also looking into a possible connection between a Thomas Bullard and the Wilson Hall. Thomas Bullard married a Jemima Hall first time and a Bryant the second time. I am wondering if Wilson is related to the 1st wife and his wife related to the 2nd wife. Is there a website where I can look up marriages in Cumberland Co NC? I have only checked into information from Sampson Co and Bladen Co.in the past, I need to expand into Cumberland I believe.
You asked where I was from, I am from Fayetteville. If you write to Blannie Hall of Garland area again I would love to write to her. Please give her my email address, it is Sarahbbadd@aol.com. Thanks for all your help with the Halls.
Peggy

Irma H Dean (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 10:06PM GMT
Peggy, We are at our new place for a few days and note our address here. I'm still learning this new address so will write more later. Blannie doesn't have a computer so she will need your post-office address. Raiford's Ala. Sarah was born about 1812 and died abt. 1866. So this couldn't be her. Sure would like to keep in touch and see what we might thresh out.Irma

Posted: 23 Oct 2002 11:52PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2006 12:56AM GMT
Irma,
Write me at email address provided and I will give you info on my address and phone number for you, and to give to Blannie. I actually think I am kin to about three sets of Hall's in the Bladen Co and Sampson Co area, and I can't find how they all connect so it would be good to talk with you, and get some other opinions. Thanks for all your help.
Peggy

Hubbard W. McDonald, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2004 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald Hall
Joining this thread late but your mention of Enoch Hall and Reddin Hall piqued my interest. I am a descendant of Smith McDonald (McDaniel) b. circa. 1795 and Charlotte Hall. Charlotte's father was Enoch Hall. Enoch had land in Bladen County which must have been a part of Bladen County that became a part of Cumberland in the 1870's since the deed from Charlotte to her brother, Wiley, for her share of her father's estate is recorded in Cumberland County.

Smith and Charlotte were living in Bladen County until about 1832. They moved to Grey's Creek or Rockfish Township in Cumberland County then. Their eldest son and my ancestor was Redding McDonald who lived in Beaverdam Township below Cedar Creek and died about 1900.

I have run into stone walls on Smith's parents.

Can you make a tie?

Posted: 21 Feb 2006 1:24AM GMT
Hate to but in, but I have a marriage bond of a Wilson Hall that marries Jane Bryant in Cumberland County. Bond date is 17 jan 1824. Wilson Hall and Edmon Blake posted the bond. Maybe you could find some clues near this Edmond Blake or the Bryants?

It also states that Jane Bryant was from Cumberland county.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic