Search for content in message boards

Problem finding Pretoria passenger

Problem finding Pretoria passenger

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chorosevic, Horosevic, Horosewic, Horosewiecz
I am trying to find my great-great-grandfather Anthony Chorosevic. (Alternate spellings: Antony, Antoni; Horosevic, Horosewic, Horosewiecz)

He emigrated from Poland to the U.S. I have tracked down his Declaration of Intention from 1917, as well as a Census reference in 1930.

The DOI shows him as having arrived in the U.S. on Dec. 26, 1906 aboard the Pretoria from Hamburg Germany. His last foreign residence is listed as "Walschav, Russia" (Not sure about the spelling)

However, I cannot find an arrival of the Pretoria for this exact date.

Compounding the problem is that the census shows him as arriving in the U.S. in 1908.

I have searched a lot of Ellis Island (gold) and ancestry.com, but so far have had no luck finding him.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone able to do a lookup?

Re: Problem finding Pretoria passenger

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 4:47PM GMT
When was he born, and did he arrive alone?

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 6:25PM GMT
Thanks for the reply.

His birth date is 14 Mar 1884. I believe he came alone, but I am not 100% certain about that. I know he married after arriving in the U.S.

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 6:49PM GMT
What do you think about this one? Look at the last column also.
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbi...

Pretoria List 2 Dec 1906

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 7:26PM GMT
Have you looked over every page of the S.S. Pretoria that arrived on 2 Dec 1906 and 23 Dec 1906?
http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=7488&p...

The 2 Dec one is pretty banged up in parts, and they may have not been able to transcribe his name at all?? Just my 2 cents worth..

Try Hamburg Departures

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 8:13PM GMT
If not already tried look in the Hamburg Departures
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1068&am...

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 4:10PM GMT
Hi Kirkman,

I don't have any answers to your questions, but you are related to my husband! His grandfather was the Antoni Horosewiecz you are asking about. The family goes by Chorosevic now. My husband's branch lives in Bristol, Virginia. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about his other descendents.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 2:05AM GMT
Hi! Indeed, I am in touch with some parts of the family out there. I visited my great-uncle Jerry Chorosevic in the fall a couple years back.

I'd love to get in touch, though. My email address is basically my name (Josh Renaud).

The format of my email is firstname@firstnamelastname.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions