Search for content in message boards

identification of uniform

identification of uniform

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 7:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: richards
this is my great grandad geoge william richards. i am trying to identify the uniform to enable me to trace his army record.

any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: identification of uniform

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 3:30PM GMT
He's a sgt. in tropical kit with a Wolseley pattern Tropical helmet. If you could identify the maltese cross flash on the side of the sun helmet that would give you the regiment. I would think some type of rifle regiment or light infantry considering his belt buckle and the maltese cross. Perhaps the gentlemen at this forum could help identify the regiment.
http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/59291-wolseley-helmet/

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 9:00AM GMT
hi

thanks i am looking a george william richards of the notts & derbyshire reg. hes a sergeant but the badge not right although similar. just dont know how to move forward with it.

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2013 3:53PM GMT
I wouldn't get too fixed on the pugree flash, in the 1930's the Sherwood Forester's just had "rifle green" trim at the top of the pugree to denote the regiment. Here's an earlier Sherwood Forester's helmet with a locally made flash (and the page it's from), they weren't exacting copies of the regimental badges. Have you contacted their museum for any help? Also do you have any birth or death dates and locations?
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/USA-britain-ww2-cloth-headgear...

Attachments:

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 6:45AM GMT
thanks for that. havent contacted the museum but are planning a visit soon its not far from me. don't know much about him only have the picture and his marriage cert. he was born around 1886 but the census, marriage cert and the sliver badge award reg no 266292 do not match. talking to my mum last night and she was told he was wounded in the leg from the war and walked with a limp and everyone thought he went to canada to live. on the census and his marriage cert it states he was a corporal coal miner but on my grandma marriage cert it states he was a clerk. thanks again for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions