Search for content in message boards

Harper Family Research.(Ohio)

Harper Family Research.(Ohio)

Posted: 22 Oct 2000 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2006 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Harper, Clark
My gr, gr, grandfather was William Harper, born in October 1821 in Butler County,Ohio He
married Emma Clark in June of 1843.Emma was born in Columbus, Ohio.
This is as far back as we have been able to go. Now new research shows that William's father may have been either James or John Harper. James Harper was living in Butler County in Milford Twonship in 1820, He married Susan Clem on March 18, 1819. Another
possibility was John Harper who was living in
Reily twonship on the 1820 Census. Were James and John brothers? Was one of these men the father of William Harper. We also have a Thomas Harper who keeps popping up. Any leads
would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

James Harper of Ohio

Posted: 27 Dec 2000 2:52PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2001 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: Harper
Daniel Harper was an early settler of Athens County Ohio and died 8/3/1839 at Orange Twp, Meigs Co. OH. Children Of Daniel Harper Sr. and Rachel
a) Rachel Harper, born April l, 1761, at Ashburnham. Mass.
b) James Harper, born Mar. 10, 1762, .
c) Colman Harper, born
d) Daniel Harper Jr, born Mar. 10, 1766. at Lovell, Oxford ME.

My Daniel Harper had a brother James as shown above. I do not know where he settled but Daniel lived and died in Meigs County Ohio. Daniel Harper moved to Meigs County Ohio Before 1820 from ME.

There may be a link but wil take some work to prove/disprove. Have information on my line hope we can link them

Don Parsons

James Harper of Ohio

Posted: 27 Dec 2000 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: Harper, Martin
Don: Thank-you for your reply. I really know nothing for sure beyond my gr. gr. grandfather William/ James and John are names that a cousin of mine has come up with and they were in the right place at the right time to perhaps one of them could have been William's father. But any information is helpful. My cousin has also come up wiwth a picture of a
William Mark Harper sr. and his family, his wife was Lucy Ann Martin and members of their family in this picture were Zack, "Sudie", Tom, Emma, John Howard, William Mark jr., and Cora. Are any of these people related to your family? My cousin Has had better luck with his research than I have. Thanks for your information.

James Harper

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 4:41AM GMT
Need to get some dates for the names you have and also locations. How far back can you go with known Harper ancestry?

Most of my information will be for the 1800',s.

Daniel Harper (my ggg grandfather had many children.) and I know that some moved out of Ohio and some stayed. I have seen Williams Harper name in early census and also I believe a William Harper is listed as an original pioneer to the Ohio territory. Most of the earliest settlers were from the New England states.

I am presently researching my Harper line. but most of my research is going backward 1700's and earlier. My Harpers family Is from Worcester County Mass (mid 1750's)and migrated to Oxford County Maine. Daniel Harper migrated to Chester Meigs County Ohio. The Earlier William Harper may have been a family member of Daniel Harper and this may have motivated Daniels moving there.

I have some more information and thoughts but prefer if with discuss this further by email. Please email me.

Don Parsons

James Harper.

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 10:41AM GMT
Surnames: Harper, Clark
Hi again. I tried to e-mail you but can't get your e-mail address. Anyhow. I can not go any further back than my gr. gr. grandfather
William Harper who was born on October 16, 1821. The information that I have tells me
he was born in Butler county. I do not have his parents names and I do not have tha names of any siblings. But I do know that he married Emma Clark on June 29, 1843 in Warren
County, Indiana and their 3 oldest children were born in Indiana by 1854 they were living in Iowa. That basically is what I know about my gr. gr. grandfather and we want to find out more like who his parents were? William was quite a prominent man he held offices in the town where he lived and was on the school board and was in partner ship in a business and also owned 1500 acres of land. So it amazes me that we cannot find out who his parents were. If you e-mail me then I will have your address and will be able to e-mail you. Thanks . Fay

James and William Harper

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 4:11PM GMT
Ok, Lets see if we can figure this out.

Email: parsons1@prodigy.net

Don

James and William Parsons

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Harper, Swift, Manior
A William Harper married in 1789 at Wayne, Butler County Ohio. A William C. Harper wasborn at Wayne, Butler County Ohio in 1790 father was William Harper. A William Harper Married "Mary Swift" on June 17 1808 at Butler County Ohio (probably the above William C Harper.) Being that the name is William Harper and the location matches for Butler County, Ohio these are likely ancestors. Your William may be a III

There is also a William Harper who was born in PA. abt 1798 woh married Persotia Manior at Athens, Meigs County Ohio on Aug 2 1820.

Harper Connection

Laura Tobin Krolick (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2001 11:07PM GMT
Surnames: Harper, Coiner, Coyner
Do you have a John Harper in your research? Looking for information on my gg grandfather. I believe John was born in Ohio and ended up in Des Moines Co., IA. I am also being told by relatives that his father helped start a college somewhere in Eastern Iowa. I have no dates for John only that he married Nancy Coiner/Coyner December 6, 1849 in Des Moines Co., IA. I list only 1 child Laura B Harper b 1869 though I am sure there were more. If any of this sounds familiar I would appreciate hearing from you. Please email me at mygenealogy@worldnet.att.net Thanx

Re: Harper Connection

Posted: 2 May 2007 3:30AM GMT
my new contact information is:

lauratobin@qwest.net or
lauratobin@mchsi.com

Thanks,

Laura

Re: Harper Family Research.(Ohio)

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2012 3:39PM GMT
I am from Zanesville, Ohio. our family is very well know as being an earlier seattler here in Muskingum County. I also have a great great grandfather named William Harper. I do not know if any relation but i am trying to find our family history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions