Search for content in message boards

Carter

Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Oct 2001 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Carter, Flowers, Norris, Clewis, Phipps, Soles, Fryar, Babson
David, I think the mother of Cassida or C.C. Carter is Molsie Carter daughter of John Carter and Martha. The Carter family is very hard to figure out, beause so many had the same name. Molsie [Molsey] had an aunt named Molsie also. I have that Cassida married January 1, 1899. Donna

Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Ellis, Lowery
I am looking for information on my grandparents, Cassida (Cass) Carter who married Rose Ella Ellis and great-grandparents, John Ellis and Nancy Lowery Ellis from Columbus County, NC. Thanks
Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2001 2:43PM GMT
Doris
You're very welcome.
I think Cassida and my great grandmother were brother and sister. Please feel free to e-mail me.
Donna

Cassida Carter

Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Babson
Thanks for responding with the date of Cassida and Rose Ella Ellis Carter's marriage from Columbus County. Do you know who Molsie married or was she? She must have married a Carter with all her children being Carters.

Could you tell me how you are related to my grandpa, Cassida Carter?

My mother Molcy Carter Brown was also named after her grandmother Molsey. There are several different spellings for that name.

I am also connected with the Babsons through my dad's mother, Annie Babson Brown, the daughter of Andrew Jackson Babson of Columbus County.

Do you mind if I email you at your address for more information? Please feel free to email me. Thanks, Doris Evelyn Wells

Re: Cassida Carter

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: WIGGINS, ELLIS
Donna Skipper told you that Cassida Carter, son of Molsey Carter, married January 1, 1899. I assume that this was his marriage to Rose Ella Ellis. This must have been a second marriage for Cassida because I found the following marriage listed in the Columbus Co., NC Marriage Index. Unfortunately, marriage licenses are not available in Columbus Co. until 1899.
CASSADA CARTER (mother - MOLSY CARTER) married
MARIA E. WIGGINS (daughter of L.E. & JANE WIGGINS) on 04 JUNE 1879 in Western Prong by Jno. E. Powell.

L.E. WIGGINS was listed in 1850 as Erasmus.
1850 Census, Southside of Cape Fear River Twp, Bladen Co., NC 09 September 1850
Dwelling & Family #310
COURTNEY WIGGINS 35 F NC
Emmanus (Erasmus) 14 M NC
Mahaly 12 F NC
Frank (Doctor Franklin) 07 M NC
(My notes by Kathy Lowery: Courtney's neighbors at #309 were Martha Ellis 65 F and some children. My theory is that Courtney met Aggie Ellis through this neighbor. Maybe Martha is Aggie's mother. Apparently, Courtney never married Aggie; however, AGGIE ELLIS & COATNEY WIGGINS are listed as parents on the death certificate for DOCTOR FRANKLIN WIGGINS. I have been unable to determine is Aggie is also the father of Erasmus & Mahaly.

LEONARD ERASMUS WIGGINS & ANNA JANE UNKNOWN were the parents of JOHN F., JAMES W. (my great-grandfather), & LEVI YANCY WIGGINS as shown in the following census. (Maria/Mariah wasn't born yet.)
1860 Census, Whiteville Twp., Columbus Co., NC 25 June Family & Dwelling # 105
ERASMUS WIGGINS 24 M Turpentine Farmer Personal $20
A.J. Wiggins 25 F
J.F. Wiggins 04 M
J.W. Wiggins 02 M
Yancy Wiggins 11/12 M so born May 1860

ERASMUS WIGGINS died of typhoid fever in Elmira Prison, Elmira, NY on 07 February 1865 so his widow was listed as head of family in 1870. (ANNA JANE was written as NANCY WIGGINS but the names & ages of the children match. Mariah/Maria showed up in this census. Some distant relatives claim that the Wiggins family was Indian so that may be why they were listed as black in this census. Other censuses list them as white.)
1870 Census, Columbus Co., Whiteville,NC Pg. 42 Family & Dwelling #323 22 Aug. 1870
WIGGINS, NANCY 35 F B Keeping House NC
John 15 M B
James 11 M B
Yance 10 M B
Mariah 08 F B
Varey 03 F B

Did CASSADA CARTER marry twice or was ROSA ELLA ELLIS REALLY MARIAH/MARIA E. WIGGINS? Did Donna Skipper have any details of CASSADA'S marriage to ROSA ELLIS?

Have you ever heard of a male named AGGIE ELLIS? Unfortunately, my WIGGINS ancestors were poor turpentine farmers who probably never owned any land so I may never break down this brick wall. Please share any info that you have on these families.

(By the way, my husband's Lowery ancestors were from Anson Co., NC & so far I have not found a relation to Lowerys in Columbus or Robeson Counties.)

Donna Skipper (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2002 11:36PM GMT
Cassida was married twice, there was two children from the first marriage: Troy, and Rena.

Kathy Lowery (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2002 12:13AM GMT
Thanks for the info. Did the marriage index list Rose Ella Ellis' parents or give a location for the marriage?
Do you know anything about Cassada's 1st wife. Did he remarry because Mariah died?
Do you know anything about a man named Aggie Ellis?

Posted: 29 Aug 2002 11:02AM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2002 2:33AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Ellis, Lowery
The parents of Rose Ella Ellis Carter are John and Nancy Lowery Ellis.

I have found that Rose Ella's name is spelled sometimes Rosella, and Rozella.

Mariah died giving birth to her 4th child.
1. Rena
2. Troy
3. child died
4. child died--Mariah died

Rena has a daughter who just celebrated her 96th birthday.

Posted: 29 Aug 2002 11:08AM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2002 2:33AM GMT
Rena was the oldest; then Troy and two other children who died. Mariah died while giving birth to the last.

Evelyn

Posted: 29 Aug 2002 11:56AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 3:22PM GMT
Thanks to both of you for the information about Mariah Wiggins Carter's children.
I cannot find this family in any census. Where did they live?
I alway try to document my sources. Do you have any documentation about this family? Do you have their full names & Rena's married name?
Is Troy still living? Which county would have birth, death, &/or marriage certificates for this family? Where are family members buried? I know that I have lots of questions but I am very excited to find out about Mariah's family.
I have a lot of information about Mariah's siblings & ancestors. Would Rena or Troy or their children be interested?
Do you have a T. Clyde Carter in your family? He acquired some land in Montgomery Co., NC after Mariah's brother, Yancy Wiggins, died.
Thanks again for your wonderful assistance.
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions