Search for content in message boards

Stone Bluff Cemetery OK

Stone Bluff Cemetery OK

Posted: 26 Jul 2006 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Durossette
I am researching the burial of Josiah (Joe) Durossette and extended family members in OK. He was my grandfather.
Can anyone tell me if Stone Bluff Cemetery near Bixby is still being used or if John and Jess Durossette are buried in another Bixby Cemetery. If so can anyone tell me the proximity to Stone Bluff Cemetery?

Re: Stone Bluff Cemetery OK

Keith Northington (Researcher) (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2006 11:06PM GMT
8-1-2006

Stone Bluff is inactive and abandoned except for a few number of graves that are maintained. The records do show 2 Durossette's buried there, but first names were not shown, only J. and J.A. It is located in Wagoner County and is now called Gibson Cemetery.

GENEALOGICAL RESEARCHER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myrt Wisnia (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2006 11:21PM GMT
Thanks, The stone on my Grandmother only has her first name "Georgia", no last name. I have a picture of it. I am told she was buried outside of the cemetery on private land. Several people say she is in the cemetery. Since my mother and Aunt (her daughters) were there when she was buried I am assuming she is still outside the cemetery. Again, thanks for the information. Myrt

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 4:25AM GMT
my dad is frank durossette.his dad was john.the only thing i can tell you at this time is that they are both buried in stone bluff.

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 7:05AM GMT
Surnames: Stone
My grgrandpa's brother FRANCIS STONE and family left Kaufman Co TX after 1900. His sons were in Wagoner Co by 1910 thru 1930 at
least.
Can you tell me how the place came to be called Stone Bluff and or if any folks named Stone are buried there.
ron stone

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 4:53PM GMT
Ron, I am not sure how it got the name Stone Bluff. My Grandma was buried in a field near there on private property. My Grandpa was buried in the cemetery. I understand a lot of my other relatives are buried there under the name Durossette, maybe Hughes or Dunlap too.
My Grandpa's stone is just a big flat rock. I saw a picture. It may have been pushed over. They were in the old part of the cemetary that is not keep up. I have not been back to OK since I started my search but I do have pictures of their tombstones family memebers gave me. Good luck on anything you find out and I would love to get any information you receive. Maybe your family started the name Stone Bluff. Good luck, Myrt

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 5:06PM GMT
Hi, John was my Uncle. My Mom was Lena Durossette. Frank was my first cousin. I did family research for over a year and finally got to the point I had so many names they were too distant to really count so I quit working on the tree for awhile. May go on Ancestry again in a year and see if new information is available. I got two replies all of a sudden on stuff I put in last year. If you need help or information on Grandpa Joe (Josiah) or Grandma Georgia let me know. I can also help with their children's generation since I knew not only my Mom but Aunt Myrtle (I am named after her) Uncle Bill (William) and I have a picture of Lena(Mom), Aunt Myrtle, and Aunt Maybell together. I knew all about Uncle Johnny and Aunt Rosie but left Oklahoma when I was about four so did not remember them. I would love to find out a little more on Aunt Rosie's side of the family but so far no luck with that. Let me know if I can help if you need family tree information. Myrt

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 2:17AM GMT
Surnames: Stone
Myrt, I found this re the cemetery:

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ok/wagoner/cemeteries/s...

as to the name an Item I found says it was derived from Stone
Bluffs above the Arkansas River, guess that was an easy way to id the area in the old days, eventually became a twp apparently.

My Stone kin having moved to the area just apparently a coincidence.

ron

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 4:03AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I would love to go back to OK and walk in the area but I heard the part my Grandpa was buried in is unkept. Since I am afraid of snakes I probably will just be satisfied with the information and pictures relatives have sent me. Sometimes the stories are not true. It may be your family had something to do with the name. A lot of things get changed over years and people believe things that are not true. During my research I found that is the case a lot. But good luck with your hunt. It is an extremely interesting thing to trace family and places. Myrt

Posted: 16 Feb 2010 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: huffman -durossette -cooper
this is the grandaughter of carl lee huffman and maybell durossette my mom is louise myrtle huffman my name is vanita foster maiden name is gibbs i have been working on my tree for a while is josiah joe durossette the same one that is the son of william and margarite was joe born in june 21-1856 in benton county missouri and if so is jesse lee durossette his son is my grandmother maybell durossette indian we were told growing up she was indian do you have any pictures of her if you do i would love some my email is vanitafoster@netzero.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic