Search for content in message boards

Correct pronunciation of MORROW

Correct pronunciation of MORROW

Fred Norton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2003 5:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
My mother was born Cora Morrow. She always pronounced her maiden name as you would say "tomorrow". I have heard it pronounced on TV (the actor Vic Morrow, for example) as the spanish would say "morro".
Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Fred

Re: Correct pronunciation of MORROW

Donna Morrow Herndon (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2003 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow
My father has always stated over the years that the correct pronunciation is, as you indicated for Vic, "Morro" and not as in tomorrow. However, I have also heard it pronounced as in "More - oh".

Fred Norton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2003 6:18PM GMT
Interesting. It could be my mother's pronunciation ("Morrow" as in "tomorrow") stemed from her southern roots. She was born in Texas, her father was born in Texas, and her grandfather was born in North Carolina (he spent a number of years in Missouri before moving to Texas). The "Morro" pronunciation has always sounded spanish to me. Could that be the Irish influence?
Fred

Donna Morrow Herndon (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2003 6:35PM GMT
Fred, yes it's interesting. My father was born in Oklahoma and then migrated to California. Don't really know why he thinks Morrow should be pronounced Morro sound but he has always said that throughout the years when the subject might come up. Our branch is also descended from North Carolina, etc.
There are Morrow's with Irish heritage, with Spanish heritage, French heritage, English. So who knows for sure? That's what makes it interesting isn't it?

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 4:37PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2005 4:21PM GMT
Morrow is deirved from the word moor and is a Scots Irish or Ulster Scots surname. The name comes from "one who lives on the moor" and was supposely termed during the banning of clan names in Scotland. The Morrows were one of the early transplants from the mid country of Scotland to Ireland and once again supposely married into that legendary "black Irish" sect. Recent findings support a Megulodeon line not "black Irish." The Morrow line entered America through Virginia and moved into the Piedmont of NC and west. From those beginings the many Morrow lines emerged. The Morrows were one of the families that seem to come in mass to the colonies in the early to mid 18th century. Pronouncing Morrow is definately accent and might have an Irish flavor. The orginal spelling of the name, once again, supposely was McMorrow but I can find no evidence of this. Also the Morrow line has no clan affiliation that I have found. Many of the early transplants to Ireland had no clan affiliation or the evidence is so long forgotten it will never be found. Or a name change after the transplant is also a possibility. By the way, Morrows still living in NC pronounce the name more like mooraw.

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 5:44AM GMT
This is really great. Thank you for the explanation. I guess its up to ones family to determine which pronunciation to use. I'm glad this has encouraged this discussion. Now if I can only find Benjamin Morrow in Texas in 1880, I will be happy.
Fred

Rex Morrow (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2003 9:21PM GMT
>>Morrow is deirved from the word moor and is a Scots Irish or Ulster Scots surname. The name comes from "one who lives on the moor" and was supposely termed during the banning of clan names in Scotland. The Morrows were one of the early transplants from the mid country of Scotland to Ireland<<

I was also told that in may also be a derivation of the name Murray...originally Scottish.

Reckon we pronounce it as our parents did....with whatever variations.

Rex
Melbourne, VIC, AUSTRALIA

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow, Ensley, Vandiver
My mother was also born Cora Estelle Morrow of the South or North Carolina Morrows. Her family also pronounced their name as in tomorrow. Would like to get in touch with any persons of the Morrow family that may have connections with the Carolina Morrows.

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2005 4:21PM GMT
Murray or MacMurry is a Scottish Clan name and Morrow may be a derivative name from it. But the Glossary of Names from the British Isles lists Morrow as a stand alone surname and not a derivative. "Tartan For Me!" also lists it as a stand alone surname with availability to wear Roxburgh District tartan and also the Irish Ulster tartan. The Ulster tartan is a common tartan for early comers to Ireland from Scotland. There is a MacMurrow derivative of Morrow. But all indications are that Morrow is an older version than MacMurrow. Also there is the surname MacMurrough that is Clan Murray. All of these spelling have become Morrow here in America in some instances.

Jackie Morrow (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2003 1:02AM GMT
Rex,
Thanks for all the back ground info on the Morrow's....would you believe that in the hills of North Carolina there is a Marrs Crossing that was named after thw Morrow's that lived near there....by the way this Morrow has a clan name and it is "Bird Clan" but then we are Native American Indian....lol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic