Search for content in message boards

WISLEN, DICKSON, MCDONALD

WISLEN, DICKSON, MCDONALD

Posted: 13 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2003 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: WISLEN, DICKSON, MCDONALD
My grandmother - Margaret WISLEN MCDONALD (b.1894 d.1969) was the daughter of George and Elizabeth DICKSON WISLEN. Margaret had two sisters Lottie (Charlotte?) and Mae. Margaret worked at the Chippewa Hotel for years.

My grandfather - Charles H. McDonald, a carpenter (b.1893, d. 1985) married Margaret WISLEN MCDONALD in 1914 in Manistee.

My great-grandfather - George WISLEN Jr. died in 1924 in Manistee, Michigan. He was the child of George and Louisa WISLEN.

Looking for any connections.

George McDonald

Linda M. McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WISLEN, DICKSON, DIXON, MCDONALD
I don't know much about the MCDONALD's yet. Here is what I have:

My grandfather Charles H. MCDONALD(b.9/23/1893, d.8/22/1985) was the son of James and Edith MCDONALD. Charles H. McDonald married Margaret A. WISLEN in 1914. They had four children: Laura MCDONALD (b. 1921 - died 1922), George "Buck" MCDONALD b. 10/1919 (married Grace). Elizabeth MCDONALD (married Theodore PASSMORE), and Lawrence MCDONALD (my dad).

I was baptised at St. Joseph's Church in Manistee and I remember going to St. Joseph's on visits to my grandparents. Charles and Margaret WISLEN MCDONALD lived on Filmore Street in Manistee.

George McDonald

Cynthia Sharp (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald, Bladzik

I have a George McDonald in Manistee but I don't know if there is any connection to your McDonalds. My Grandmothers sister, Blondine BLADZIK, married George (Mickey) McDONALD in Manistee at St Josephs Church (date unknown). They later moved to Cadillac, MI. George was born on Jan 14, 1914 and died on May 23, 1996. I do not know any more about George at this time. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Dickson family

Donna Willett (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson
I have done quite a bit of research in Manistee County Courthouse records in the past few years, searching the descendants of John Dickson (Dixon). He came from England, was married four times, the last time to his young step daughter, and he fathered 13 children.
His first wife had four children, and supposedly died on the ship coming from England. The family spent some time in Canada, and perhaps Illinois, but was settled in Manistee County by 1850, the father and four children. Soon after he married a widow, Mary Taylor (born 1835), sometimes called the Indian wife. They had four children: Eliza Ann, born 13 Jun 1854 (married George Wislin); Charlotte, born 9 Dec 1855 (married Martin Nelson); Francis born 10 Mar 1857; and John Charles born Jan 1859. The two boys went west as young men and their descendants live there.
I have found no record of Mary's death. However, in 1863 he married another widow, Eliza Wislin (born 1830 in NY). Eliza had two children, Alice Wislin, born 1855 and George Wislin. George later married his step-sister, Eliza Ann Dickson, 3 Jun 1872. John and Eliza Wislin Dickson had two children, Lewis John born 12 Jul 1864 and Ida Mae (also called Mary) born 3 Jul 1869. Eliza died 16 Aug 1871.
Then in 1873, John Dickson married his stepdaughter Alice Wislin. He was 53, she was 18. They had four children: Elizabeth (Bessie), Theopholis, Edwin Charles, and Laura. Alice divorced John in 1885 or 1886
Now this is probably more than you ever wanted to know!! And it's one of the most confusing families I've seen. I'm descended from John Dixon /Dickson's first child, born in 1837. His children's birthdates ranged from 1837 to 1880.
Most of the information is from the courthouse, and some from family bible records, census records, pictures, and cemetery records. Some dates, from census records, can be a little bit off.
Questions? Send email.
Donna Willett

Dickson

Donna Willett (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson
I posted this response a few weeks ago, but would like to add an addendum.
I neglected to mention one of the most important sources of genealogical information for Manistee County families, which is the Manistee Historical Museum on River Street. They have a wonderful card index by surname, which includes detailed census data, as well as cemetery records, and information from county newspapers including obituaries, births, marriages, divorces, etc.
Another ongoing project is an index of articles from the Manistee News Advocate, at present indexed up to 1923. The Advocate is available in several libraries on microfilm, so this index is a most valuable tool.

Re: Dickson family

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2002 11:49AM GMT
Surnames: Dickson, Danville
Donna Willett: I tried to reply using donbar@aol.com but it was returned. I am very interested in John Dickson, as he is our fourth (?) great grandfather. He had a daughter Ellen, born Canada 1838 but she is not listed in your message. She is our third great grandmother. Can we exchange information about this mixed up family? I have a photo of John, and also photos of Benjamin, Ellen and other descendants. Ellen married Henry A. Danville. E-mail me at frogsleap1@juno.com
Thanks...Bette Alden

Re: Dickson family

Posted: 30 Aug 2003 3:17AM GMT
Hi, I am also a decendent of John Dickson through his 3rd wife. I would be interested in seeing the pictures you have and to share information.

I took pictures this summer of the headstones of John Dickson and his decendents that are buried in Corfu Cemetary in Brethern.

Linda

Re: George McDonald

Susan Eggleston (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 3:14PM GMT
I am helping out a friend. Her mother died years ago and she hasn't anything on her heritage except a article on her grandparents fiftieth wedding anniversary and that her g-g-grandfather was John Dickson. She doesn't know her grandmothers name, but Grandpa was Charles McDonald. She could remember two uncles names George and Larry. I found info on John Dickson and his unusual line that takes me to Grandpa McDonald. Then I ran across your post. I would like to hear from you and maybe get you both connected. Her name is Lori and lives in Howard City. It sounds like she would be your cousin. Please email me at : kabeara@mail.riverview.net I really would like to help her out. She has three children and would like to connect with her past. Thanks

Re: George McDonald

Sue Eggleston (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 7:16PM GMT
Sorry, I feel so stupid. Lori is one of your sisters! I'm trying to give her a hand with this. I wrote down some info on a small piece of paper and I messed up. But she is interested in the family history. So if you can forward any info to her or now you have my email I see her every couple of days. Thanks

Re: WISLEN, DICKSON, MCDONALD

Posted: 29 May 2004 3:51AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2005 2:59AM GMT
Linda, my in-laws are related through a brother of your grand-father -- I will forward this to them, and I imagine they will be in touch. They are planning a trip to Michigan this summer. If you like, I can give you phone numbers. Email me at amos@brigham.net .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic