Search for content in message boards

Ruby Servis Stephens, d. 1981 Mountainair, Torrance Co.

Ruby Servis Stephens, d. 1981 Mountainair, Torrance Co.

Posted: 4 Oct 2008 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any female descendants of Ruby Servis Stephens, who died in 1981 in Torrance Co. Purpose is to try to prove Native American heritage of her g-grandmother, Lucinda Castle Masoner. Ruby's mother was Oro Frances Masoner Ney.

Thank you,
Sandra

Re: Ruby Servis Stephens, d. 1981 Mountainair, Torrance Co.

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 5:40AM GMT
Surnames: Servis
I am researching the descendents of Marcus and Oro Ney Servis. I am assisting a friend with her genealogy. Her grandchildren are descendents of Marcus and Oro. I was able to find her family back to Marcus (born about 1870), but cannot find any more info.

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 2:12PM GMT
Are you wanting info on descendants or ancestors of Marcus and Oro? I can't help you much with descendants, but have some info on ancestors.

I have children of Marcus and Oro as: Ual Riley, Ruby, and Marshall Ney Servis.

Sandra

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 4:20PM GMT
Ancestors- thank you. I have most of the info down to the gggrandchildren.

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 5:48PM GMT
OK, this is what I have - not too much on Marcus' family. He was born 23 Aug 1876 in Nashville, TN, died 20 Feb 1940 in Albuquerque, NM. His father was John Samuel Servis, and his mother was Margaret Brook.

Oro Frances Ney was born 29 Jun 1882 in Montague Co., TX, and died 9 May 1968 in Torrance Co., CA. She was the daughter of William H. "Billy" Ney, b. 19 Aug 1825 in Louisville, KY, d. 16 Dec 1928 in Sumner Co., NM, and Martha J. "Mattie" Masoner, b. 22 Sep 1859 in TX, d. 6 Jul 1940 in Phoenix, AZ. They were married 6 Aug 1881 in Montague Co., TX. They were divorced about 1906. Their children were: Oro Frances, Myrtle "Jean", Pearl, Perry, Ferdinand, James, Henry B., and Hugh "Jack".

Martha J. Masoner's parents were Henry Masoner, b. about 1820 in Greene Co., TN, d. between 1863 and 1866, probably in Cooke Co., TX, and Lucinda Castle, b. about 1825 in Illinois, d. after 1881, probably in Montague Co., TX.

Henry Masoner's parents were Teter (Peter) Masoner, and Anna Mary Dyche/Deck. No info on Lucinda Castle's parents.

Hope this helps.
Sandra

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Servis
Thank you so much! This got me past my "stuck" place!

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 7:33PM GMT
You're welcome. Let me know if I can help further with the Masoner line - I have a good bit on them.

Also, William "Billy" Ney was supposedly a descendant of the famous Field Marshal Ney, though I don't know if it was ever proved. Here are my notes on Billy:

From about 1882 until 1888/1889 William was buying and selling land in Montague Co., TX with his brother-in-law, John W. Masoner.

Military Service:
On role 102, bundle 176, for the first page of Montague Co., TX., 1890 veterans' census,
supervisor's district 7, enumeration district 51, precinct 1, line 11 on the page, house 222, family 234: William H. Ney, private, Co. C, 30th Kentucky Infantry (Union Army), enlisted April 1862. The spaces for date of discharge and length of service are left blank for him. Down below, it says his post office address is Montague, TX., and no disability is listed.

Ages of children from 1900 Greer County, Altus, Oklahoma census, which listed Wm. H. as a farmer, owning land.

According to death certificate, his parents were Horace Ney, born in France and Frances Boazes, born in Spain. The informant on the certificate was Oro N.(F) Servis, Ft. Sumner, NM, Wm and Mattie's eldest daughter. If his father was indeed Horace, perhaps Billy's middle name was Horace.

William was listed as a retired rancher and widowed, wife named Martha Masoner (however, they were divorced in 1906). Length of residence was 5 years. William lived to the age of 102 years and 4 months according to the death certificate.

Descendants of Billy Ney say his grandfather was Field Marshal Michel Ney of Napoleonic fame. Some historians say Michel Ney was not shot by a firing squad, but his death was faked, and he eventually wound up in South Carolina, taking the name Peter Stuart (or Stewart) Ney. This has not been proved and is doubtful.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 8:28PM GMT
I have a book of Torrance County History that was written by family members. It has two articles on Stephens....J. Frank Stephens, and Rae Stewart Stephens. If interested I can scan the articles and email them.

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 1:13AM GMT
Hi just came across this message and my boyfriend is j.frank stephens grandson and i would love to be able to give him theses articles if you could email them to me...his grandfather passed away before he got to know him. thank you so much for your time. junesmoon2005@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions