Search for content in message boards

Williams

Williams

Danny (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIAMS, Wallace, WATTS
I am looking for any info on Col. James Williams(1740-1780),or his wife Mary Wallace. Also, his son, James Williams (1769-1820), or his wife Rebecca Watts. Thanks for your help.

Col/Gen James C.Williams

Cookie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Williams
Danny, Saw your query. I am a descendent of Elizabeth
Williams, dau. of James & Mary (Wallace?) (Clark?) Williams.
Eliz. was sister to your James. Eliz. m.Capt.James Tinsley.
Your James was named guardian to Elizabeth's children (1814)
including my grgrgrandmother, Frances Tinsley/ Can direct
you to Tinsley info which gives data on Col/Gen James W.
who d.Oct.8,1780 after being wounded Oct7 at Battle
of King's Mt. Some history books give Col.James W's wife
as Mary Clark, not Wallace (as in LDS). Am searching for
more info on Col.James W's parents, Daniel Williams 1710-59
and Ursula Henderson. James was born in Hanover CO nr the
Old Fork Church.
Cookie

Daniel Williams

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 1:59AM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Henderson
Cookie,
Daniel was the son of John Williams (1679-1735) and Mary Keeling. I am a descendant of James brother John Williams (1737-1794). I too, am puzzled about whether James' wife name was Clarke or Wallace

Jennie Lee Williams

Posted: 17 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2001 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Evans
Looking for any info on Jennie Lee Williams born Hanover County. Married to George Evans. We believe George was a Quaker from Philadelphia, but have nothing On Jennie. Thanks

Col. James Williams

William Owen (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Owen
Col. James Williams of Hanover County VA is reported by several sources to be the Col. James Williams who died at battle of Kings Mountain in South Carolina. My Great Grandfather was G.W. Williams of Dublin, GA and the local library there has several undocumented and references that tie my Williams line to the South Carolina Revolutionary war soldier. These references also mention that he was born in Hanover County VA. My Question is that these same sources show some of his children and grand children are all born in Hanover County VA but letters her wrote to his wife and son and to South Carolina military leaders, (all published on the Internet by the South Carolina Historical Scoiety) indicate that he is a resident of South Carolina, at least during the war. Is there proof that the Col Williams of Kings Mountain is the same Col Williams of Hanover County VA?

Re: Col. James Williams

Joe Williams (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2001 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Death
To the person asking if James Williams of Hanover, VA was in fact the Col. James Williams killed at Kings Mountain NC during the Revolution. They were the same. Col. James Williams was born in Hanover, VA Nov 1740. He later moved to NC where he married Mary Clark Wallace. Ten years later he relocated to Laurens Co. SC. Their eight children were:
Daniel -Killed in Rev. age 17, Joseph- Killed in Revage 14.,John - Returned to Va.,James- m. Rebecca Watts, Washting-m.Sarah Griffin
Elizabeth-m.James Tinsley,Sarah-.m John Griffin,Mary-m.James Williams.
DAR Source of Information re Col. Williams -Ancestor Histories US/Can 975.8766. There is a copy of Col. Williams will in Laurens Co. SC.

Re: Col. James Williams

Posted: 9 Jan 2002 12:59AM GMT
I appear to be descended from Col James Williams who was killed at Kings Mountain NC. My maternal great grandfather who I knew very well as a child, was George Herschel Williams, born in Bryan County GA in 1870. He was the son of Stephen M Williams who was born in Telfair County in 1826 and died in Bryan County GA in 1891. Stephen M. Williams was the youngest son of James M. Williams who was born in Hanover County VA in 1796. He was killedn 1832 by indians, west side of Ocmulgee River from Jacksonvile, the then site of Telfair County GA. James M. Williams was the son of Colonel James Williams, who was born in Hanover County, VA in 1741. This is all of the information that I have of this Williams branch of my family.

Re: George Herschel Williams/Col. James Williams

Joe Anne Williams (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2002 6:02AM GMT
This is a reply.
GEORGE HERSCHEL WILLIAMS, Dublin attorney, and my grandfather Dr. J. C. Williams, were brothers. Their parents were Steven M. Williams and Caroline Elizabeth Pughsley.

Steven M. Williams parents were James M. Williams and Ann Elkins.

James M. Williams parents were James Williams Jr., and Rebecca Watts. (James and Rebecca had seven children. They named one of their daughters Sarah Wallace.)

James Williams Jr's parents were Col. James Williams and Mary Wallace.

My great grandmother Caroline Elizabeth Pughsley Williams, my great uncle G. H. Williams and my grandfather, Dr. J. C. Williams, are all buried in Northview Cemetery, Section 1 in Dublin, GA.

Posted: 14 Jan 2002 3:03PM GMT
Then we are cousins! You and my mother would be second cousins! Can I email you?

Joe Anne Williams (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2002 11:38PM GMT
William,
It is always good to find new family members. I would like to correspond with you. Do you know uncle Herschel's daughter George (Williams) Greene in Dublin, GA?

I try to get to the East Coast once a year to visit a son and assorted cousins, one of which is George and the others are Betty Stebbins in Brunswick, GA. and Margaret Brantley in Vidalia, GA. I also touch base with my MacMillan family.

I have documented my Williams line to my satisfaction and to the requirements of the Daughters of American Revolutions. Great uncle Herschel's son, Gladston, joined the Socitie of Cincinatus and held rather high office in that organization using the same information that I offered DAR.

I will be happy to share information with you.

Cousin Joe Anne

per page

Find a board about a specific topic