Search for content in message boards

Henry Fortenberry/Lucinda

Henry Fortenberry/Lucinda

Erline Fortenberry (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 11:04AM GMT
Am researching Fortenberry line. Would appreciate any help on Henry Fortenberry and his wife Lucinda. I have hit a brick wall. I believe they were married in Giles Co. Tn but have been told they were in several states ie TX, OK, TN, and who knows where else. he had children James, Henry, Nancy, Richard, William, Margaret, George, Daniel Jackson (jake), Jacob, Lucinda, Amanda. If you have information on them I would appreciate your help and can be reached at my E-Mail address Ejenk15712@aol.com.

Re: Henry Fortenberry/Lucinda

Posted: 14 Nov 2001 8:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Nov 2001 6:36AM GMT
Erline I guess we are on the same trail. I believe they moved to Lawrence co. ar. in 1859 from TN. I am trying to find the census for Rutherford co TN.for 1850.Henry was born inNC. in1811 . Im alsotrying to find the census for Rutherford co NC.I have a James John And William there in1820. One of them may be Henrys dad. Let me know what you think. Randall

Posted: 12 May 2002 4:46AM GMT
Surnames: Fortenberry
My father, J W Fortenberry, born 1916 in Lynn County, Texas, is the only son of Wylie J. Fortenberry and Alicia McIntyre.

Wylie J (Jackson) Fortenberry, born 8/16/1886 in Gainsville, Cooke County, Texas, was the oldest son of Jackson, born 1849, in Tennessee, and Mattie Fortenberry (b. about 1864).

I don't know Mattie's maiden name, but would love to find out.

Jackson's father was Henry Fortenberry,born about 1810 and his mother was Lucinda, maiden name unknown, born about 1814, both in Tennessee according to 1850 census records.

Jackson had many brothers and sisters that I am aware of, from the 1850 census records.
James, born about 1834
Henry, born about 1837
Richard, born about 1838
Nancy, born about 1840
William, born about 1841
George, born about 1844
Margaret, born about 1847

As you can see, there's quite an age difference between Jackson and Mattie Fortenberr. It is possible that Jackson had a previous wife, and perhaps another family that I know nothing about.

I would like to find out Mattie's, and Lucinda's maiden names, if at all possible.

I've seen quite a lot of discussion about the Henry Fortenberry family, which appears to be talking about some of my ancestors. I don't have a great deal of information, but I would like to share what I have, and learn more, if anyone knows.

Sally Hines
Beaverton, Oregon
nantu3@attbi.com

Posted: 14 Jul 2002 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2003 9:36PM GMT
Sally,
I came across your post. My father was Henry Lofton Fortenberry, III, bn TX. His father was Henry II, TX/AR and his father was Henry I, I think bn TN. Henry II, was married to Walcy G. Moore bn AR and Henry I, was married to Malissa Ann McMinn bn, MS. I have a good record on the McMinns but the Fortenberry's must have been wonderers. Henry Lofton, III my father is buried in Midfield Cemetery, Midfield, TX. Henry, II is buried in Hawley Cemetery on Hwy 35, west of El Maton, Tx and Henry I, is buried close to his sons Henry,II, James and Daniel Forest, my great-uncles and their respective wives Walcy, Elizabeth Fredonia Lafferty (Aunt Doan) and Johnnie Anna Hogan (Aunt Johnnie). I am certain the people you list in your post are my respective ancester. I know Henry, II and Malissa Ann had 11 children but all but 5 died for one reason or another and I have most of their names if you are interested. I just can't find most of the great-great- uncles and aunts. I have no idea what happened to Henry and Lucinda or Henry I, although a Henry Fortenberry died in the Civil War, but I don't know if it was one of our Henrys. I would love to share what I have, most of which is undocumented if you would like to have it. I do believe that Jacksons wife Mattie is Martha McMinn, one of Malissa Ann McMinns sisters. I just don't know if or where they were married.
I was told by a family they were all over the place including Oklahoma and I can believe it because is so hard to find any records. I also know from the census records of Jackson Co., AR that my Henry II, had most of his children there. I just can't seem to find their mg record or any of my McMinns records from there. Anyway hope this helps some if not just disregard it. Thanks Erline

Posted: 6 Nov 2002 8:46PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2005 11:13PM GMT
Hi Erline,
I haven't talked with you for awhile and saw this post so I thought I would update you. I did see on this post that you had no records on the McMinns in AR. I did find them on the 1870 census for Jackson Co. Abraham and Melissa and others.
I also wanted to let you know I found more info on Richard and Mary Caroline (Carrie) Fortenberry. I know you thought Caroline might be a McMinn but I found her death certificate and her father was Isaac Johnson. Caroline was born Jan 26 1850 and died Apr 24 1936. Richard was born 1843 and died in 1919. They are both buried in The Gillespie Cemetery near Munday Texas.
I am hoping we can get a DNA database for the Fortenberrys. If you know any Fortenberry males that would be interested let me know. This would definately help decide who descends from whom. I definately think Richard and Henry found in Jack Co. Tx. were brothers but this would prove it for sure . If we can get enough people from different branches we could learn alot.

Alan Speer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2004 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Fortenberry McMinn
I am the descend of Richard Fortenberry,
I have some info.
The McMinn's sisters met the Fortenberry boys in Bay City, Texas. Henery married Melissa and Jack married her younger sis Mattie. I hope you guys see this because I am hunting down my roots and any info would be great.

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 5:34PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 6:38AM GMT
Where did you hear they met in Texas. I know Melissa and Henry were living in Ar. in 1870 and Jackson was living next door with the McMinns also in Jackson County in 1870, according to the 1870 Census. They all moved to Jack County Texas about 1873.

Alan Speer (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2004 4:32AM GMT
I have recovered a book called Dawson County History, The Tableland from my mother this book contains several Fortenberry folks Daniel Jackson Fortenberry (my gggreatfather), E.G. (Shanks) Fortenberry (my greatuncle) ;and J.C. Fortenberry my ggrandfather.
In this book it says that Henry and Daniel came to Texas near Bay City with the two sisters.
I can Scan these articles from this book and send it to your email.
Also how far back did you go with the family tree?
I saw the DNA testing posted ; Did you guys go through with it and if you did I may want to get myself tested also.

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 6:38AM GMT
I would be very interested in a copy of those pages from the book. My email is r410berry@msn.com.
This is all very interesting. There is another descendent of Jackson I correspond with, Sally Hines, and she has been trying to find out Mattie's maiden name. I know Jackson was living with the McMinns in 1870 when he was 21 and I find a Manta McMinn 5 yrs old which would match Mattie born in 1864. Perhaps Jackson was married to another McMinn before he married Mattie.
Sally descends from Wylie Jackson the oldest son of Jackson and Mattie.

Alan Speer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2004 7:03AM GMT
I would be very pleased to send you a copy of those pages.
I wonder if I could get Sally's email also since J.C. Fortenberry married Willie Hines and she may be related to my ggrandmother.
Give me a couple of days to get the scanner hooked up and running to get the pages scanned.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions