Search for content in message boards

Help needed - Royal navy WW1 and WW2

Help needed - Royal navy WW1 and WW2

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Sep 2013 4:20PM GMT
Can anyone help me with dating the naval uniform of one of my ancestors. I need to know which war's uniform these photos depict as this will help me to identify which brother is in which photo. Are the photos from the same war or different ones.

Thanks

Attachments:

Re: Help needed - Royal navy WW1 and WW2

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 1:52PM GMT
The large group photo was taken after WW 1, as the medals they are wearing are for that time period. The photo is probably from 1919 to very early twenties considering the ranks of those in the photo. I can't see the cap tally (band around the cap) on the second photo to tell if it has a ships name or just a generic HMS. HMS would mean it was WW 2 era as the ships names were removed as a security measure. But going from the clothing and the uniform I would guess sometime in the thirties before WW 2. The british naval rating uniform really didn't change much so it's hard to pinpoint the interwar years.

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 2:48PM GMT
thank you so much for your help, that really helps to pinpoint who's military photos these are.

Can you give me any opinion on the family photo with the one sailor in it, do you think that is WW! or WW2?

Posted: 5 Oct 2013 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2013 2:05AM GMT
Further to ycaso's information, the family picture was taken between WWI & WWII, and from the cheese cutter and news boys flat caps that became popular with young men during the 1920's I would say nearer to WWI than WWII.
The picture was also taken in winter as the sailor is wearing a blue cap and serge jersey. The RN introduced the blue cap from Mar 1921, worn with a white cover during summer - end Apr to end Sept - when a white front was also worn in place of serge jersey. During both wars ships names were removed from cap tallies, post WW2 white covers were worn all year round and blue caps finally replaced with white ones from 1956.

Jeff

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 2:37AM GMT
To add to the information already given, some of the men are wearing the grade designator on their sleeve of 'Seaman Torpedoman second class', in the form of the torpedo shape with a star above it.

The particular medals are the three standard medals given to all servicemen who served in the appropriate time. The star shaped badge is either the 1914 Star (service before 23 November 1914) effectively for men already in service when war broke out or the 1914-15 Star (service before 31 December 1915) effectively for men who volunteered rather than waited for conscription in 1916.

The other two round medals are the British and Victory medals.

Some men may only have the last two mentioned medals, meaning they served from 1916 onwards, whilst some have none, meaning they did not serve 'in theatre' during the war at all. Or they just did not wear the medals that day !

Posted: 3 Dec 2013 1:10PM GMT
If you look at the second from the right in the second row of the group, with a magnifying glass, I think the cap-band says "...cess Margaret". There was an HMS "Princess Margaret", a mine-layer which was mixed up in some action in Latvia at the end of WW1.She was scrapped in 1929. Google "HMS Princess Margaret" and you will find several links. Perhaps this rings a bell?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic